Salary Cap: Marner contract discussion XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Seriously.

Trading Nylander in order give Marner a terrible contract would be the stupidest thing a Leafs GM could do....

Nylander + 4 1sts + 11+ mil in capspace >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> paying Marner that insane contract.

Some folks really have to get past the idea that the Leafs 100% have to sign him no matter how much he asks for and how damaging it will be to the team and its competitiveness.
They don't 100% have to, but unless the rumours of something around $12+M per year are true, I think it is likely their intention.
We cleared cap (while, in my opinion at least, improving) without trading Nylander and Marner already, and we can do it again.

Reactions: Kiwi and Menzinger

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
If Montreal lobs an offer sheet at Toronto I would hope they go and retaliate on Poehling and Kontkaniemi in the years to come and break their bank.
Hearing it’s the Isles sniffing around Marner. The Habs are considering Laine?

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
If you want to assume Nylander has maxed out at his 21 year old season I'll leave you to it. That's your assumption and if it comes true than you'll be right. I however don't think that Nylander has maxed out. Now I'm basing my opinion on a player that had back to back 61 point seasons in his rookie and sophomore years (he was top 20 in the NHL in terms of even strength assists during the 17-18 season) and had a very bad season which is an outlier. We'll see how he does next season, but I think improvements are in order.
You can assume he will improve but you have to assume Marner will as well. He is also a year younger

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Man, you really have very little faith in Dubas. You don't think he could have a real conversation with Nylander on his value? Hell, Nylander signed when that 8x8.5-9 rumour was talked about as a discount.

That theory is working with Marner right now certainly :laugh:

You just reset the RFA market for a 60 point winger, best of luck getting Nylander to not want a part of that action

Reactions: Menzinger

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
4 1st round picks ▶Marner

Hopefully someone offer sheets him and we turn around and Offer sheet Tkachuk

Tkachuk + 4 1sts
Or
Marner +1st+2nd +3rd

???

Lethalsniper007

Aug 2, 2005
The leafs would be stupid to sign marner for 12.2 mill no way he’s worth as much as mcdavid no f***in way I would sign that deal it would f*** our team / cap in the long run just get the 4 1st picks and run then sign Ferland for 4 mill

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
They don't 100% have to, but unless the rumours of something around $12+M per year are true, I think it is likely their intention.
We cleared cap (while, in my opinion at least, improving) without trading Nylander and Marner already, and we can do it again.

I still think they'll circle back to a compromise before things get too far. At this point 3 or 5 years.

Im just curious how tense the relationship is between team and player right now. If hings get too bad may circle we may be having this trade discussion in a year or two. Reminds me a bit of the Subban and Habs situation from a few years ago,.though would like nothing more than to be proven wrong here.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
4 1st round picks ▶Marner

Hopefully someone offer sheets him and we turn around and Offer sheet Tkachuk

Tkachuk + 4 1sts
Or
Marner +1st+2nd +3rd

???
Unfortunately leafs kinda shot themselves in the foot for most offersheets when they traded their 3rd round pick to the Avs. They can either do the really big ones or the really cheap ones.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

You just reset the RFA market for a 60 point winger, best of luck getting Nylander to not want a part of that action
He did that with Nylander anyways and you probably should stop rounding down to 60 points given he was a 69 point winger coming off a great playoff with another full RFA year left before you start paying him his second deal.

Youre paying him off his potential, like most players who sign a year early.

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Unfortunately leafs kinda shot themselves in the foot for most offersheets when they traded their 3rd round pick to the Avs. They can either do the really big ones or the really cheap ones.
Im sure that could be easily acquired back considering it would help the Avs by screwing over Calgary

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
If Dubi is under the impression Mitch is going to leave at contracts end, he really has to buckle up and stand firm and force Marner into holding out with possibly missing the season, if needed

Last edited:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
He did that with Nylander anyways and you probably should stop rounding down to 60 points given he was a 69 point winger coming off a great playoff with another full RFA year left before you start paying him his second deal.

Youre paying him off his potential, like most players who sign a year early.

Oh were paying off potential now are we?

So why the hell is the 61 point RFA winger only taking 7M now after the 69 point winger got 9M because of his potential exactly? By your logic were arguing overpaying Marner at the time because of potential but Nylander's going to be different somehow? Why does only one get vastly overpaid at the time because of potential and the other not exactly?

Last I looked Ehlers who signed a year early took 7 years and 6M, if he signed early for an underpayment why does Marner get a vast overpayment for signing early exactly? And why isn't Nylander in the same boat if he does?

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto

You just reset the RFA market for a 60 point* winger, best of luck getting Nylander to not want a part of that action
*69-point.

Marner's also a year younger, and put up those points in his sophomore season, without ever playing with Matthews.

(I love Nylander, but just as Marner has yet to earn himself Matthews money, Willy had (and has since) yet to earn himself Marner money.)

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
It’s july 5th chill out. Just because there’s a few OS rumours doesn’t mean you got to turn on marner and get all worked up. This fan base is ridiculous. No big RFA’s have signed these negotiations take time.

Im not worked up and Im not turning on him. This is the third time we've been dragged through this crap in the last 12 months. Im tired of it and I do not care anymore. If he wants to be here, great, I'll cheer my heart out for him. If not, great, gimme my compensation.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
*69-point.

Marner's also a year younger, and put up those points in his sophomore season, without ever playing with Matthews.

(I love Nylander, but just as Marner has yet to earn himself Matthews money, Willy had (and has since) yet to earn himself Marner money.)

This is an argument over the 9M last off-season rumour, there's a ton of Monday morning QB going on about it

It was a vast overpayment at the time and Dubas shouldn't be blamed for not signing it, some people beg to differ however, hindsight is a wonderful thing, I'm also pointing out potential knock on effects people don't take into account

It's an interesting discussion

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Oh were paying off potential now are we?

So why the hell is the 61 point RFA winger only taking 7M now after the 69 point winger got 9M because of his potential exactly? By your logic were arguing overpaying Marner at the time because of potential but Nylander's going to be different somehow? Why does only one get vastly overpaid at the time because of potential and the other not exactly?
Because Marner's younger, been more productive, had weaker linemates and was your best player in the playoffs. Not tough to argue, many did last summer anyways.

Nylander has weaker stats and no year between signing and playing

Last I looked Ehlers who signed a year early took 7 years and 6M, if he signed early for an underpayment why does Marner get a vast overpayment for signing early exactly? And why isn't Nylander in the same boat if he does?
Marner's an underpayment today. Marner's better than Nylander. He was at the time and he is now.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I still think they'll circle back to a compromise before things get too far. At this point 3 or 5 years.

Im just curious how tense the relationship is between team and player right now. If hings get too bad may circle we may be having this trade discussion in a year or two. Reminds me a bit of the Subban and Habs situation from a few years ago,.though would like nothing more than to be proven wrong here.
Luckily, we're not the Habs.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
This is an argument over the 9M last off-season rumour, there's a ton of Monday morning QB going on about it

It was a vast overpayment at the time and Dubas shouldn't be blamed for not signing it, some people beg to differ however, hindsight is a wonderful thing, I'm also pointing out potential knock on effects people don't take into account

It's an interesting discussion
I agree.

Reactions: Kiwi

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
Except Mitch has 0 40 goal seasons, 0 30 goal seasons, only 1 PPG season vs 2 for Matthews, he's had no where near the linemates that Auston has had to work with thus far in his career and most important of all HE IS NOT A CENTER.

He can ***** and moan all he wants but he is not comparable to Auston. Dubas did fine with the Matthews deal too. He signed right in line cap % wise compared to what Eichel, McDavid, Draisaitl signed (who were his comparables).

5 year straight to FA deals vs 8 year deals

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Because Marner's younger, been more productive, had weaker linemates and was your best player in the playoffs. Not tough to argue, many did last summer anyways.

Nylander has weaker stats and no year between signing and playing

Marner's an underpayment today. Marner's better than Nylander. He was at the time and he is now.

Yes he is, doesn't mean he was worth 9M last off-season though by any stretch of the imagination, most of us were arguing Nylander should get around 6.5M over 6 or 7 years so best of luck thinking most sane people would have found 9M acceptable

The playoffs argument is useful, shouldn't that be held against him now since he fell into a hole last playoffs? I'd have thought that makes the old Aho contract a decent comparable again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad