Salary Cap: Marner contract discussion XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
We can defend up to a 10.565 and ice a 22 man roster. Stressful year but doable. Problem is that extra 3 grand within the range would force us to make detrimental roster moves or lose him for 1st+1st+2nd+3rd. That's a ballsy offersheet that makes no friends league wide, spits on the Aho deal and makes life very interesting for the people with high end RFA's.

More likely to be something lower that we can handle but don't want to pay or something higher/ more term with 4 1sts attached.

Reactions: Kiwi and SprDaVE

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
We can defend up to a 10.565 and ice a 22 man roster. Stressful year but doable. Problem is that extra 3 grand within the range would force us to make detrimental roster moves or lose him for 1st+1st+2nd+3rd. That's a ballsy offersheet that makes no friends league wide, spits on the Aho deal and makes life very interesting for the people with high end RFA's.

More likely to be something lower that we can handle but don't want to pay or something higher/ more term with 4 1sts attached.

If you go that high, it has to be minimum 7 years to me. I just can't see how it makes any sense to go 5 years and go 2M more than Aho for the same term. 6 years, I top out at 10M. 5 years, 9.5M ish... and so forth.

Ideally, 7 years and 10.16M cap hit. He gets 1M less than Matthews, 2 extra years, and a huge amount of "respect". I could live with a 5 year 10M deal to get it over with... but... it would suck.

Reactions: Kiwi

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Nobody's gonna want to hear this, but there's no need to rush now. Everything else is basically figured out and there's 10-11 million there to sign Mitch with. It's basically up to him to take it, and the Leafs can wait him out for awhile.

Reactions: dsred and ACC1224

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
If you go that high, it has to be minimum 7 years to me. I just can't see how it makes any sense to go 5 years and go 2M more than Aho. It's illogical.

6 years, I top out at 10M. 5 years, 9.5M ish... and so forth.
The Aho deal wasn't logical, in amazed he signed it that quickly.

Mitch is an easy match up to 4 firsts. After that it gets questionable.

McSnypsky

Jun 22, 2019
My Guess since Dubas has essentially set his salary; there will be no 8 year deal. A 2 year bridge or 4 year extended bridge seems most likely.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario

He signed it because of that front loaded bonus money and figured Canes wouldn't have offered him that AAV to begin with based on their negotiations.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

It was logical. It fit exactly where these guys should be. It's pretty clear Aho thought it was more than fair and he was comfortable with that.

It's what we perceive Marner should be making is what is illogical just because we literally hear all these numbers every day.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
If you go that high, it has to be minimum 7 years to me. I just can't see how it makes any sense to go 5 years and go 2M more than Aho. It's illogical.

6 years, I top out at 10M. 5 years, 9.5M ish... and so forth.

Jeez I'd love to know where the negotiation stands.

I think we've got a pretty clear idea of where the Leafs are/were with 10m x 8, 8.5 x 5 etc. the 8x2 bridge comment skews things, but that was pre Aho, so who knows. But I completely agree with your scale. 10x6, 9.5 x 5 (want to avoid) 8-8.5 x 3. It's high relative to Aho but it's manageable and get's it done. It's possible that Dubas has drawn a line at that Aho scale and the only way Marner moves into the Sprdave scale is through offersheet. Great if so.

But is Marner at the reported 10 x 5 or the reported "pay me like Matthews"?

Reactions: SprDaVE and Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

He signed it because he asked for 9.5M×5 and the team offered 7.5M×8 apparently, he got the term and AAV that was acceptable to him whilst staying where he was since it was an easy match

It was a decent move on his part imo

**** just got interesting, if it's enough to get Marner to sign an offersheet it's not going to be an easy decision to match imo

I'd think it's going to be a weighty offer or why bother after the Montreal debacle?

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
If a team seriously does a 1 year offersheet for some outrageous number. Accept it take the picks and re-offer sheet him next summer.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
**** just got interesting, if it's enough to get Marner to sign an offersheet it's not going to be an easy decision to match imo

I'd think it's going to be a weighty offer or why bother after the Montreal debacle?

Really depends where the negotiation is framed. If it's 10x8 arguing against 10x5 and a gm it's all over but the crying, and offersheet could lose us the battle but not hurt the war. A 10 x5 is 1.6 above Aho, 1.6 above what we want, and does put us in a bit of pinch so it would be seen as more credible.

But if Marner wants Matthews money and we're stonewalling at 8.5x5 I get worried about the illogical offersheet in the 10.4-10.568 range.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Really depends where the negotiation is framed. If it's 10x8 arguing against 10x5 and a gm it's all over but the crying, and offersheet could lose us the battle but not hurt the war.

If your putting in the offersheet it either has to force the Leafs to make trades to fit him under or is so poisonous they just dont want to match

Anything else seems pointless to me, 10M×5 Is to easy to match imo

Reactions: meefer

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Jeez I'd love to know where the negotiation stands.

I think we've got a pretty clear idea of where the Leafs are/were with 10m x 8, 8.5 x 5 etc. the 8x2 bridge comment skews things, but that was pre Aho, so who knows. But I completely agree with your scale. 10x6, 9.5 x 5 (want to avoid) 8-8.5 x 3. It's high relative to Aho but it's manageable and get's it done. It's possible that Dubas has drawn a line at that Aho scale and the only way Marner moves into the Sprdave scale is through offersheet. Great if so.

But is Marner at the reported 10 x 5 or the reported "pay me like Matthews"?

There are so many damn numbers, both for salary and term, being thrown from different sources and angles that I have no idea what's accurate and what isn't.

I do feel like the Leafs would go slightly higher than the Aho scale because I do feel like he deserves more based on a few things. I do think that everyone would be fine with paying Marner more than Aho at the end of the day. But asking for a full tier or even 2 tiers above (Matthews level at this point) seems completely irrational and illogical from Marners camp.

He's doing what he thinks is right and all and I support that 100%... but it seems so bizarre. We'll see what Ratanen and Point do though since I think they are in the same tier as Marner and Aho for the most part.

Reactions: Kiwi and 4thline

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
If your putting in the offersheet it either has to force the Leafs to make trades to fit him under or is so poisonous they just dont want to match

Anything else seems pointless to me, 10M×5 Is to easy to match imo

It's all relative, 10m forces us to run a 22 man roster with only 390k in free space (and it might not even count since it's LTIR)

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
My Guess since Dubas has essentially set his salary; there will be no 8 year deal. A 2 year bridge or 4 year extended bridge seems most likely.

4 years would be a bridge straight to unrestricted free agency, so we can rule that one out (unless it's via an offersheet).

Reactions: Menzinger

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
It's all relative, 10m forces us to run a 22 man roster with only 390k in free space (and it might not even count since it's LTIR)

We still match that though, if your going to put one in at least throw one in you think could stick, coming in just under the 4 1sts threshold but still forces the Leafs to trade guys would be the go I'd have thought

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
If you go that high, it has to be minimum 7 years to me. I just can't see how it makes any sense to go 5 years and go 2M more than Aho for the same term. 6 years, I top out at 10M. 5 years, 9.5M ish... and so forth.

Ideally, 7 years and 10.16M cap hit. He gets 1M less than Matthews, 2 extra years, and a huge amount of "respect". I could live with a 5 year 10M deal to get it over with... but... it would suck.
It would suck until Marner breaks 100 pts. Then we will all be talking about the bargain contract. Fyi...i expect 100 pts at any money. The kid has a legacy to build.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
We still match that though, if your going to put one in at least throw one in you think could stick, coming in just under the 4 1sts threshold but still forces the Leafs to trade guys would be the go I'd have thought

That's what I mean, @10.568 we're f***ed and have to make a move, but maybe it's just Kap for a pick then sign a UFA at 2m for the 3rdline.

@10 a gm may consider us still f***ed, it's not a rosy situation. Short roster, roster decisions being made based on who makes 700 vs 725, no call up capability outside of LTIR... it's not rosy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->