Salary Cap: Marner contract discussion XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
He should be, Aho is a PPG center who's lead his team on a deep playoff run and scores more goals
Great, I look forward to his 8.5x5 deal coming soon then.

Still love to know what I dismissed

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I'm pretty sure there's tons of precedent for the Matthews contract, and the examples have been posted a number of times on these Boards. It doesn't follow the McDavid/Eichel/Draisaitl contracts, but it very much falls in line with the Crosby/Malkin/Toews/Kane/Tavares/Stamkos contracts, if I'm not mistaken.

Okay, so 40G 73P Matthews can be compared to them... then why isn’t 94P U22 Marner being held to the same standards?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Marner sure was great on the PK against Boston, when he was on for 4 goals against in 13 minutes

Yeah. Folks really go o stop using this PK usage as a main selling point

He participated as part of a mediocre PK unit that played a role in the Leafs losing to Boston. That doesn't get you 10+ million, especially considering the teams best pkers are 4th liners...

Reactions: Kiwi

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Matthew's now has two seasons of scoring above a ppg.

Let's not warp facts to try an pove a point.

HE also hasn’t scored more than 73 points. I’m not warping facts. I’m generalizaing.

I’d assume Matthews will hit 80 points. Who knows how healthy he can be going forward, though.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

I wrote that's what he should make, not what I think he will get
Read my friend, read

Entitlement and the Toronto bubble is going bump that up though I'd imagine

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
There's one thing about this whole process that I have yet to understand - If Marner's camp proposed a $72M contract last year, based (I'm assuming/hoping) on the expectation that he would continue his pace from the second half of the 2017/18 season while playing next to a Center like JT, then why have their demands changed so drastically now that he's achieved what they thought he was going to achieve? Did he really outperform his own camp's expectations that much? And, if so, why was their ask so outrageous last year?
Dubas made a big dent in resetting the market with Matthews

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Well, in Mitch's case he's a PPG winger in just one of his year's. He is not a perennial PPG winger, as of now. Is he going forward? I believe he is. But he can't say he is a PPG perennial winger off of one great year. Just like how people say Auston isn't a perennial 40-goal scorer because he only did it once. You can account for pace, and all the other fancy numbers if you wish, I am just saying it how it is.

For a winger at 22 years old, coming off of one PPG+ season i'd be hesitant to go over $9M to be honest. Especially with the comparables out there. Not to mention Hayes at $7M really ****ed things up. But I digress, Mitch being a hometown kid, loves the Leafs, etc I would give him 9.25M or 10M max on an 8-year deal. Whether he takes it or doesn't is another thing entirely. Being the GM, I will not be bullied by your agent or father. We are being more than generous. We have put up with enough. If you still feel it's not enough, and there is no way you see yourself taking a bit less for maybe 2 or 3 years while we work everything out then we'll find you another team. Goodbye.
Marner had over 90 points in 82 consecutive regular season games as if December 1.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I wrote that's what he should make, not what I think he will get
Read my friend, read

Entitlement and the Toronto bubble is going bump that up though I'd imagine
That's an awful way to think, so our GM can't get fair market contracts? Seemed to do okay on Kerfoot and Ceci, even Nylander's isn't too far off projections.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
That's an awful way to think, so our GM can't get fair market contracts? Seemed to do okay on Kerfoot and Ceci, even Nylander's isn't too far off projections.

Hasn't proven it with the high end RFA'S

Nylander is over but not egregiously so, Matthews contract is an abomination

Reactions: rubous

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
People who run teams, and know more about hockey than you or I can ever fathom , all believe the centre is more far important than wingers, hell centres move to the wing but wingers rarely move to the centre. I remember there was a time in the not too distant past, where the Leafs were built from the wings in and had no #1 centre. That was also a time when the Leafs were pretty awful and were perennial cellar dwellers. If it wasn't for drafting Matthews, the Leafs wouldn't be as far along as they are today. You're a Marner fan, I get it, but to suggest he's better or that a winger can be more valuable than a centre, is just wrong. You'll be very hard pressed to find a team that won a cup by having a winger be more important than a centre. St.Louis had O'Rielly,Chicago had Toews, Washington had Kuznetsev and Backstrom , Pittsburgh had Malkin and Crosby etc etc . And Panarin is a bad example because hes been on one team to get past round 1.
What’s a load of bs. Kane was more important then Towes. Ovi more important then both Centers.
Both Hull and his son most important player on teams. Same as Howe. Etc.

Panarin is a great example of what a top winger is worth. Stone as well. Marner is better then both. Sorry to tell you that Dubas made his bed by giving Mathews a contract like he did.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
There's one thing about this whole process that I have yet to understand - If Marner's camp proposed a $72M contract last year, based (I'm assuming/hoping) on the expectation that he would continue his pace from the second half of the 2017/18 season while playing next to a Center like JT, then why have their demands changed so drastically now that he's achieved what they thought he was going to achieve? Did he really outperform his own camp's expectations that much? And, if so, why was their ask so outrageous last year?
The 9mm was like buying insurance. A 90 plus point player is worth considerably more than 9mm over 8 years. That and the market shift alla Dubas

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
In my opinion, in terms of importance and best for the leafs:

Matthews
Andersen
Rielly

Those three are number 1. We cant have marner take over 10.5 as it kills our chances of keeping our goalie and defenceman down the line.

Im sorry but if marner wants that money then he needs to go to another team. Im not denying he could be top 5 player. But guess what. Matthews will ALWAYS be ahead of him. And rielly and andersen are more important. And i would rather tavares as he is a center. Plus we traded kadri so we need him.
Marner is our best player you keep him over everyone period. You build around your best player not trade him or let him go.

Reactions: rubous

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Marner is our best player you keep him over everyone period. You build around your best player not trade him or let him go.
Im convinced u are marner or his dad or someone in his family. No one think he is our best player.

Or our most important player. Which is why we are here.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
It's close enough to call it splitting hairs.
It's really not. Kane led his team to a cup and that's what got him paid. Kane would also be 9x5 type levels and most are thinking higher at this point.

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina

Not being critical, but I don't think Marner's goal total tells the whole story.
He "creates" goals out of thin air, makes ridiculous passes for tap ins and makes those around him better .... like JT who had a career year.
Marner is more creative than Aho and I think creates more overall offense for his team ...

So I think should make a tad more than Aho ... say $9M? or $9.5M?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Not being critical, but I don't think Marner's goal total tells the whole story.
He "creates" goals out of thin air, makes ridiculous passes for tap ins and makes those around him better .... like JT who had a career year.
Marner is more creative than Aho and I think creates more overall offense for his team ...

So I think should make a tad more than Aho ... say $9M? or $9.5M?
Wouldn't hate 9x5, sure it's worse than last summer's deal, but I can live with that mistake

Ciccio1980

Mar 7, 2012
7 Ufa years gets u panarin money if you could sign marner to a 11 year deal maybe you pay him 11.5

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
You Nylander fans would prefer a 1c or 1 d to get traded over considering the obvious suitcase having your boys name on it

Nylander has to be the guy out, right? What’s the return? Couple seconds? Don’t want to take back any salary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad