Salary Cap: Marner contract discussion XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
there was a way to avoid both becoming RFAs, hell even either.

By vastly overpaying the other one at the time instead? :laugh: Then getting to vastly overpay Nylander straight afterwards because we vastly overpaid Marner? That's an idea alright

Hindsight warriors of the world unite

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It is so transparent. We ship out Nylander period.

As much as I’ve ragged hm for his dismal playoff performance, I actually hate to give up on Nylander right now. I’d give him one more chance and see if can play with intensity in the playoffs.
Having said that, something may have to give and if it’s between Marner and Nylander, it’s a no brainer.

Reactions: Jmo89

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Why? Nylander was a prick to deal with and even he didn't sign an offersheet, that's next level *****ebaggery

Nylander's deal has the potential to be a steal in a few years. If these number for Marner's are true he'll be worth it in the best case. Maybe he'll be a bit underpaid if he really is a top 5 player and the cap skyrockets.

I usually joke around saying that we move Nylander out to give Marner's that 14 M deal he deserves. Can't believe some people are actually entertaining the idea.

Reactions: Menzinger and Kiwi

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Anyone else completely over it with this guy? Sign and be a contributor or leave and we can liquidate those 1sts with $11M of free cap. We win either way. I'm past caring one way or the other.
Agreed. What ever happens, Marner's rights are very valuable to us. He either stays and contributes, or leaves and we get a bunch of freedom to improve the team. No downsides here

HockeyAndWings

Dec 18, 2006
Marner considers himself very close to Matthews and wants to paid that way, Dubas should have been aware of this going into the Matthews negotiations and not overpay him. Dubas didnt realize he was actually negotiating with Marner also during the Matthews negotiations

If Marner wanted to get paid like Matthews he should've played C instead of W, positionally, an elite 1C is much more valuable than an elite 1W.

Even if Marner played C like Matthews, Matthews' big size and elite goal-scoring ability are so difficult to come by, that Matthews would still get paid more than Marner, IF they were both centers.

I still think our best players being paid slightly over market value is a good thing, as they bring the most value to the team.

Reactions: Menzinger

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
By vastly overpaying the other one at the time instead? :laugh: Then getting to vastly overpay Nylander straight afterwards because we vastly overpaid Marner? That's an idea alright

Hindsight warriors of the world unite
...by getting a better deal on Marner than what you expect today and telling Nylander what his real value is. Simple stuff, not sure why you're struggling to grasp it.

I completely get what you're trying to say in that he wasn't willing to gamble. You should at least be able to understand that's bit us in the ass and could avoid a huge concern of yours in the process.

Wonder what Matthews asks for with Marner locked up at 9 or less for max term and producing as much as him.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Nylander's deal has the potential to be a steal in a few years. If these number for Marner's are true he'll be worth it in the best case. Maybe he'll be a bit underpaid if he really is a top 5 player and the cap skyrockets.

I usually joke around saying that we move Nylander out to give Marner's that 14 M deal he deserves. Can't believe some people are actually entertaining the idea.

I think Marner's the superior player but once we start talking 12M+ Nylander's deal looks like a ******* steal in comparison

People are losing there minds, I wouldn't give Marner McDavid money full stop let alone giving up 4 unprotected 1st round picks for the privilege

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
LOL his Dad. Yeah I joined here and started posting only on the Leafs forum before Mitch got drafted.

Lots of people think Marner is the better player. I am not a relative nor even know Mitch. What I am is a knowledgeable Leaf fan who has made a living in hockey.

I said when we drafted him that he was a franchise player and nothing he has done has shown me he is not.

Iook at my post history I have called every poor draft pick /prospect in the past 10 years. Biggs, Percy, Colbourne, Finn. Ashton and the list is long. Why well I know hockey and got paid for my abilities to assess players and there growth potential.

I am a huge fan of Morgan Rielly and know him. I stated long ago when we drafted him that he would be a number 1 D man most thought many were better many even said Finn was batter at the time. I said he was the best player in the draft at the time and clearly the best D man in the draft and Murray went ahead of him which I said was a poor pick. I also said that Haydn Fluery was drafted far to high as he would struggle to be a good NHL D man.
Tell Morgan to give Mitch a smack so he signs our contract.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

If we assume that Nylander moves back to 61 points and marner stays flat, the equivalent dollars per point puts Marner at 10.79mm. Now lets understand that nylanders points per game have declined for 3 years straight where Marners have taken off. Not sure how anyone can be more optimistic that Nylanders contract will ever look better than Marners in any year.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
What could Marner possibly be asking for 3 years? I think its better off paying him in the 9's for three years than having decide if you want to match 12.5 x 7.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
...by getting a better deal on Marner than what you expect today and telling Nylander what his real value is. Simple stuff, not sure why you're struggling to grasp it.

I completely get what you're trying to say in that he wasn't willing to gamble. You should at least be able to understand that's bit us in the ass and could avoid a huge concern of yours in the process.

Wonder what Matthews asks for with Marner locked up at 9 or less for max term and producing as much as him.

If you've just vastly overpaid Marner I struggle to see how the hell your going to make Nylander sign something resonable, so we don't tell Marner what his real value is now but we tell Nylander that last year and he's going to eat it?

I'll admit, with hindsight 9M×8 looks great but his decision making at the time makes sense and we would probably have to overpay the other guys since we overpaid him anyway, just like the knock on effects of giving Nylander that contract

Matthews was getting paid, no matter what happened Matthews was writing his own check and there was bugger all we could do about it

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
No, we just don't sign Marner, and we move on. That's obvious to all. Fill in the roster or trade the draft picks.

Johnson will be gone first or somebody else before Nylander. :banghead:

Seriously.

Trading Nylander in order give Marner a terrible contract would be the stupidest thing a Leafs GM could do....

Nylander + 4 1sts + 11+ mil in capspace >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> paying Marner that insane contract.

Some folks really have to get past the idea that the Leafs 100% have to sign him no matter how much he asks for and how damaging it will be to the team and its competitiveness.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
If we assume that Nylander moves back to 61 points and marner stays flat, the equivalent dollars per point puts Marner at 10.79mm. Now lets understand that nylanders points per game have declined for 3 years straight where Marners have taken off. Not sure how anyone can be more optimistic that Nylanders contract will ever look better than Marners in any year.

If you want to assume Nylander has maxed out at his 21 year old season I'll leave you to it. That's your assumption and if it comes true than you'll be right. I however don't think that Nylander has maxed out. Now I'm basing my opinion on a player that had back to back 61 point seasons in his rookie and sophomore years (he was top 20 in the NHL in terms of even strength assists during the 17-18 season) and had a very bad season which is an outlier. We'll see how he does next season, but I think improvements are in order.

Reactions: Menzinger and Kiwi

Leafsfan13

Feb 13, 2018
Anyone else completely over it with this guy? Sign and be a contributor or leave and we can liquidate those 1sts with $11M of free cap. We win either way. I'm past caring one way or the other.
It’s july 5th chill out. Just because there’s a few OS rumours doesn’t mean you got to turn on marner and get all worked up. This fan base is ridiculous. No big RFA’s have signed these negotiations take time.

Reactions: diceman934

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
If you've just vastly overpaid Marner I struggle to see how the hell your going to make Nylander sign something resonable, so we don't tell Marner what his real value is now but we tell Nylander that last year and he's going to eat it?

I'll admit, with hindsight 9M×8 looks great but his decision making at the time makes sense and we would probably have to overpay the other guys since we overpaid him anyway, just like the knock on effects of giving Nylander that contract

Matthews was getting paid, no matter what happened Matthews was writing his own check and there was bugger all we could do about it
Man, you really have very little faith in Dubas. You don't think he could have a real conversation with Nylander on his value? Hell, Nylander signed when that 8x8.5-9 rumour was talked about as a discount.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If Montreal lobs an offer sheet at Toronto I would hope they go and retaliate on Poehling and Kontkaniemi in the years to come and break their bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->