Salary Cap: Marner contract discussion XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Marner considers himself very close to Matthews and wants to paid that way, Dubas should have been aware of this going into the Matthews negotiations and not overpay him. Dubas didnt realize he was actually negotiating with Marner also during the Matthews negotiations
I love Marner, but there shouldn't even be a discussion about whether or not he deserves to make the same money as a 6'3 Center who, at 21, has a real solid case for being the best goal-scorer in the game - He doesn't, and Mitch's camp needs to realize that.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
10.6 per year & he’s gone.

Take the 4 1sts and move on
I don’t disagree, but think the team Marner signs the offer with will affect Dubas’ decision. It that team looks like they are a playoff team for the next four years, then Dubas has to take four picks outside of the lottery. Those four picks could total (maybe?) one or two decent players, but they would be not helping the current core for 3 to 5 seasons.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Kane's contract (the only other winger on that list) coming off his ELC was 11.09% of the cap - Converted to today's dollars for Marner would be a 5-year deal at a hair over $9M. Wouldn't be the end of the world if he signed for that.

That would be a steal considering what we paid Matthews!!

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I love Marner, but there shouldn't even be a discussion about whether or not he deserves to make the same money as a 6'3 Center who, at 21, has a real solid case for being the best goal-scorer in the game - He doesn't, and Mitch's camp needs to realize that.
21 year old winger who finished 10 in the league in points, runs the PP and plays PK and leads team in ATOI and is going to get better

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
You're telling me Mitch wants 3 years and the Leafs want 3 years, but they still cant come to an agreement?

Jeez, cmon. Get it done.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
What happens to the process when Dubas asks to see the sheet?

I don’t think it works like that. Maybe Bergeron and Montreal would do it that way, however Lou would likely get a commitment before sending it so it couldn’t be used as a negotiating tool.

bbgobie

Sep 19, 2009
That assumes the 4 1sts are not liquid. You could flip them. How bout going after Can Fowler with a couple of them

Matching also means you'd have to make more trades to make space. Like getting rid of Kapannen

I don’t disagree, but think the team Marner signs the offer with will affect Dubas’ decision. It that team looks like they are a playoff team for the next four years, then Dubas has to take four picks outside of the lottery. Those four picks could total (maybe?) one or two decent players, but they would be not helping the current core for 3 to 5 seasons.

Reactions: Menzinger and 7even

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Kane's contract (the only other winger on that list) coming off his ELC was 11.09% of the cap - Converted to today's dollars for Marner would be a 5-year deal at a hair over $9M. Wouldn't be the end of the world if he signed for that.

Kane as an ELC comparable is a pretty solid floor for what Marner should get. Matthews is a pretty solid ceiling. Marner should be somewhere between, smack dab in the middle would make sense.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
You are underrating Matthews. For what it's worth, my own expectations for Marner's contract have been closer to $10.5Mx6 since the Nylander and Matthews deals came out. Like those deals, I expect it to sting at first, but get over it once I realize that, just because it's not the best contract in the League, it's not the worst, and should be manageable long-term.
21 year old winger who finished 10 in the league in points, runs the PP and plays PK and leads team in ATOI and is going to get better
And yet he still isn't as good as Matthews, and deserves to be paid less.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If an offer sheet was coming I'm pretty sure it would've already been tendered. Probably just Marner's agent getting his minions to float the idea that one was incoming any time now to pressure Dubas a bit.

The Pagnotto tweet cited two teams - Montreal and NYI.

Last edited:

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Im convinced u are marner or his dad or someone in his family. No one think he is our best player.

Or our most important player. Which is why we are here.
LOL his Dad. Yeah I joined here and started posting only on the Leafs forum before Mitch got drafted.

Lots of people think Marner is the better player. I am not a relative nor even know Mitch. What I am is a knowledgeable Leaf fan who has made a living in hockey.

I said when we drafted him that he was a franchise player and nothing he has done has shown me he is not.

Iook at my post history I have called every poor draft pick /prospect in the past 10 years. Biggs, Percy, Colbourne, Finn. Ashton and the list is long. Why well I know hockey and got paid for my abilities to assess players and there growth potential.

I am a huge fan of Morgan Rielly and know him. I stated long ago when we drafted him that he would be a number 1 D man most thought many were better many even said Finn was batter at the time. I said he was the best player in the draft at the time and clearly the best D man in the draft and Murray went ahead of him which I said was a poor pick. I also said that Haydn Fluery was drafted far to high as he would struggle to be a good NHL D man.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Remember that time ths Oilers traded their Captain, Ryan Smyth, over like $50,000. And then he went and cried about it.

Players, teams, and agente do really stupid things

It's amazing what you can get yourself into when you get emotional
Intelligent decision making gets thrown out the window

Reactions: Menzinger

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
It would be pretty funny to see Marner become what Tavares was. If we offer sheeted Barzal he'd be all alone on the Island.

Last edited:

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
When did Dubas or Marner note the details of "last summer's deal" publically? I'm wondering what you are using as reference to base this detail as a fact?
Based on the highly speculated rumours that he was willing to sign in the 8.5-9x 8 range

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Great plan, so both of them getting offersheets instead of just one? Where do I sign up

I'm sure he feels that way, doesn't mean the team needs to lose it's marbles as well
there was a way to avoid both becoming RFAs, hell even either.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I'm not arguing who is the better player, im just saying Marner is a beauty as well
My apologies - Not everything should need to be a pissing match, and Mitch is most definitely a beauty.
I hope this offer-sheet talk is just a bunch of smoke, and that these guys come to a fair deal by season's start, whatever that looks like to both sides.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Yep.

I was hoping they'd be able to get him at 6 years for 9.4-9.8 aav but 9 over 5 would be fine. A headache for management in 5 years, but that's better than some of the alternatives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad