Tribute Marner Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Marner's ability to score 30 on a regular basis without having a shot like Matthews and Nylander is pretty remarkable.

I really hope for his sake, the fans sake, and most importantly the Leafs sake, these guys figure it out and make it all work come April

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Marner's ability to score 30 on a regular basis without having a shot like Matthews and Nylander is pretty remarkable.

I really hope for his sake, the fans sake, and most importantly the Leafs sake, these guys figure it out and make it all work come April
Quietly moved back into the top 20 in scoring last night, 2 points behind Matthews.

Watching his excitement when Holmberg scored it's pretty easy to see why he's such a popular teammate.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Quietly moved back into the top 20 in scoring last night, 2 points behind Matthews.

Watching his excitement when Holmberg scored it's pretty easy to see why he's such a popular teammate.
I couldn't figure out if he was being silly, a smartass or genuine when he said Holmberg was his favourite player.

Then Rielly came out and said that Holmberg is super well liked and then I thought about how much goes on that we don't know about.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

Players and coaches get it, agenda posters not so much. It’s truly irrelevant to reality.

He’s been uneven so far this year, but he’s rounding into form nicely the last stretch.

Jun 27, 2005
Oh I don't know about that. If the rest of the season keeps going the way it's going, it would be pretty easy to argue that Marner isn't worth 10 million. Tied for 26th in scoring with Hynman, Barzal and a few others. I know he kills penalties but still ...
LMFAO. This didn't age well. Less than 12 hours after posting it Marner is now tied for 17 in scoring, 2 points behind Matthews and 4 points out of 12th with 2 games in hand. Do you and the other haters really judge talent based on daily points totals? Here's some sincere advice. Stop watching the puck and instead watch the play and you'll be able to judge talent much better.

Reactions: ACC1224

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
LMFAO. This didn't age well. Less that 12 hours after posting it Marner is now tied for 17 in scoring, 2 points behind Matthews and 4 points out of 12th with 2 games in hand. Do you and the other haters really judge talent based on daily points totals? Here's some sincere advice. Stop watching the puck and instead watch the play and you'll be able to judge talent much better.

Point totals never tell the whole story, but they're a big part of it and an obvious place to start with forwards and of course the leaderboard changes on a daily basis.

Jun 27, 2005
Point totals never tell the whole story, but they're a big part of it and an obvious place to start with forwards and of course the leaderboard changes on a daily basis.
By the end of Matthews next contract, Marner and Matthews will be the Leafs all time scorers, still in their early 30's and Matthews will be the top goal scorer as well. All the idiot haters are watching history unfold and whining about it. Stop watching the puck.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Players and coaches get it, agenda posters not so much. It’s truly irrelevant to reality.

He’s been uneven so far this year, but he’s rounding into form nicely the last stretch.
I've said all along that despite the slow start, in the end the team will cruise to the playoffs and Marner will will get his points, probably between 90 and 110. Granted it took him longer than expected to get going (and let's be honest, beating up on SJ isn't that big a deal either) but anyhow better late than never, I just hope he's in top form when the playoffs start, and more importantly, that he maintains that top form throughout the playoffs instead of fading after the first 4 games because that's when final grades should be issued- not in November, not in January, but when the playoffs are in the books.

I lost a lot of faith in Marner after the Florida series, I hope he wins me over again, we'll see.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
By the end of Matthews next contract, Marner and Matthews will be the Leafs all time scorers, still in their early 30's and Matthews will be the top goal scorer as well. All the idiot haters are watching history unfold and whining about it. Stop watching the puck.
I don't care. I care about the team 100 times more than I care about the players, that's the way it's always been, and that's the way it always will be.

If they have some playoff success, some deep runs and hopefully at least one cup, then the point totals will be a lovely cherry on top of the cake. But team success is the cake and without it, the cherries are mostly meaningless to me.

That's JMHO of course, if you are thrilled by regular season individual point totals even if your heroes turn into cupcakes when the playoffs start, hey that's great, enjoy.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Says the guy who posts all day long, every day.
If the playoffs are all that matter then why don't you just stop posting and watching until the playoffs.
Again. Stop watching the puck.
A bit of a strange agenda around here. Even when the team is winning, there is a bit of a circle jerk going on to demean some player....usually Marner.
The real sports rivalry here is factions that support one leaf player over another. Winning doesn't really matter to a few, despite what they say.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
LMFAO. This didn't age well. Less than 12 hours after posting it Marner is now tied for 17 in scoring, 2 points behind Matthews and 4 points out of 12th with 2 games in hand. Do you and the other haters really judge talent based on daily points totals? Here's some sincere advice. Stop watching the puck and instead watch the play and you'll be able to judge talent much better.
Pretty odd timing considering they played an AHL team last night. McCabe also had 3 points, is he Bobby Orr now?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
A bit of a strange agenda around here. Even when the team is winning, there is a bit of a circle jerk going on to demean some player....usually Marner.
The real sports rivalry here is factions that support one leaf player over another. Winning doesn't really matter to a few, despite what they say.
Strange is putting it mildly.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
From the glimpses we’ve seen, he’s not a very likable person, so I get why people are against him.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
From the glimpses we’ve seen, he’s not a very likable person, so I get why people are against him.
Hockey culture is toxic in general, so it’s not surprising a lot of players are not liked. I don’t know Marner personally, know some people who met him and think he’s a bit of a prick, but everyone’s opinion is different. He’s extremely talented, I’m just not a fan of his particular style of play.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Says the guy who posts all day long, every day.
If the playoffs are all that matter then why don't you just stop posting and watching until the playoffs.
Again. Stop watching the puck.
Sigh. I've never said that playoffs are that matter, just that playoffs matter more than the regular season (at least to me).

You're so obsessed with me that you need to make up things I never said, claim I said them so you can yell at me. That doesn't seem healthy.

Actually I'm a pretty likeable guy but more to the point, you don't even know me.
Pretty much sums it up. Judging someone's character with very little knowledge of them.
Like you two are doing now. Give yourselves a pat on the back.

Hockey culture is toxic in general, so it’s not surprising a lot of players are not liked. I don’t know Marner personally, know some people who met him and think he’s a bit of a prick, but everyone’s opinion is different. He’s extremely talented, I’m just not a fan of his particular style of play.
I could guess as to what he's like based off interviews etc. but TBH, I don't really care, I don't know him, I've never met him and as long as he's not a complete asshole who treats people in an abusive way, I don't really care. I only care about Marner the hockey player and as far as that goes, he's great during the regular season, he's great when the playoffs start but after the first few games, he seems to fade away. For that reason, if it was up to me, as of right now I would not give him a contract extension for the kind of money he's rumored to be after. Everything's always subject to change though, if he excels in the playoffs that might change.

I think people often get too attached to their opinions about players. They love some players, hate others and that's that. Me I'm always re-evaluating and I think like most people who are trying to be objective, my opinion of Marner went up based on the way he played over the last 2 regular seasons and the last playoffs against Tampa, then it went down a lot after he sucked balls against Florida in the playoffs and has stayed low based on his play this season. Nylander on the other hand, I've always liked him and because his been much more consistent than Marner in the playoffs, I haven't thought that there's a massive gap between the two like many others have said. Now this season, he's been so good that I take him over Marner, period.

That's my opinion, I'm always happy discuss with others, that's why I'm here. But you people that make it personal and don't like my "character", I suggest you stick to discussing the hockey team.

Reactions: arso40

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I actually like his style of play. I've always liked players who are small, but super skilled and can make much bigger and stronger guys look silly. He does so many things well and he's one of the most entertaining players I've ever seen and he was even my favorite player at one point. The only thing I don't like about his play, is that he fades after the first 4 games of the playoffs. That's literally maybe a total of not much more than a dozen games over the course of his career so it might not sound like much, but those games are so important that yes, it affects my evaluation a ton. If he could only play at the same high level at the biggest moment, he might still be my favorite player but unfortunately, that's not the case.

Regular season success is nice, but after so many years of playoff failure, it starts to feel a bit empty. 7 consecutive seasons of sub .500 play in the playoffs, this got old a while ago.

Reactions: arso40

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
I actually like his style of play. I've always liked players who are small, but super skilled and can make much bigger and stronger guys look silly. He does so many things well and he's one of the most entertaining players I've ever seen and he was even my favorite player at one point. The only thing I don't like about his play, is that he fades after the first 4 games of the playoffs. That's literally maybe a total of not much more than a dozen games over the course of his career so it might not sound like much, but those games are so important that yes, it affects my evaluation a ton. If he could only play at the same high level at the biggest moment, he might still be my favorite player but unfortunately, that's not the case.

Regular season success is nice, but after so many years of playoff failure, it starts to feel a bit empty. 7 consecutive seasons of sub .500 play in the playoffs, this got old a while ago.
His style of play just doesn’t translate to playoff success imo. Willy is much bigger, stronger and faster, he can fight through when needed. I really hope he figures it out though, which would mean success for the team.

Reactions: arso40 and Jojalu

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
The players are so coached now on what to say in an interview that unless you have a personality that is super flamboyent, or you just don't give a damn, it is impossible to figure out what someone is actually like as a person.

That's why it's so shocking or surprising when a Toews comes out and calls out his team. It just never happens

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
The players are so coached now on what to say in an interview that unless you have a personality that is super flamboyent, or you just don't give a damn, it is impossible to figure out what someone is actually like as a person.
Kessel was great at handling the media.

Reactions: Jojalu

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.

For some reason marner always becomes the whipping boy for the playoffs

He isn’t any worse than matthews nylander or Tavares yet he gets the sole blame

None of the core four have accomplished jack shit when it comes to the playoffs but only one gets singled out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad