Tribute Marner Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
He's easily going to demand 12.9+ x 8.

Not deserving at all but that's what he's going to ask for and get. Treliving might not even try to "negotiate" this time.

Reactions: arso40

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Having his worst year in 3-4 years. Something is off. I'm not using the married excuse for him. All his excuses run out when you handle the negotation like he did last time. He lost his goodwill there. Still for this team to go far, he needs to be an important member, and show up in the playoffs for once.
He’s never been a great skater, he is physically weak, now he’s not ancient, but these things do catch up

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Tre will have more time to prepare for Marner's next negotiations. Hopefully he does better than we has done so far with Matty, Willie, Reaves, and Klingberg. He gets a pass for Sammy.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The gap between Willy and Marner isn't 1.5 million anymore IMO. Marner exclusively plays with Matthews too while Willy has been dragging tavares on his line
Oh I don't know about that. If the rest of the season keeps going the way it's going, it would be pretty easy to argue that Marner isn't worth 10 million. Tied for 26th in scoring with Hynman, Barzal and a few others. I know he kills penalties but still ...

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Good. No negotiation needed. Take the Willy contract 11.5 X 8 or he can sign for 7 years elsewhere. Use the cap space to balance the team better.
He lowest he'll take is $11,500,001x8 or 13.77% of the following year's cap. 12.393mx8 with an 90m cap.

12.393m is actually prefect. Gilmour wore 9 in St. Louis, 39 in Calgary and 93 here and Mitch loves Dougie.

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
This will be the fascinating negotiation of them of all.

Tavares I figure will sign for 5-5.5mish per for 3-4 years and it'll happen quickly.

Marner's in a interesting spot:

- He hasn't had a good year this year. Definitely the worst year of his current contract.
- He has improved the least of the big 3 (Nylander/Matthews/Marner) since they all signed their initial big deals.
- Nylander and Matthews are both signed long-term now and have both been levels above him this year. Treliving is in a way more comfortable spot during Marner's negotiation.
- Marner's the one player where there's an argument he doesn't deserve more money.

I don't know Brad's opinion of Mitch, I would play this one by year. The offer right now is 11.5x8. The Marner camp can ask for more than what Willy got, but I don't see the argument at all. This years version of Willy is better than any version I've seen of Marner.

If they play it like they did last time and demand something like 12.5-13m/per and Mitch is the 3rd wheel again, clearly the 3rd best player of the big 3, I could see this one going sideways in a hurry.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
My preference would be:
1. Trade him
2. Let him walk in free agency & use the money on either 1 high end player that changes the team dynamic, or 2 impact players like being able to keep Bertuzzi + a Brodie replacement
3. Re-sign him

I'll be open to changing my mind if the playoffs go well. But I expect a matchup against our own division will be more than what we can handle and nothing we do in the next 2 years with the same core will improve the results.

Absolutely do not want to pay him as a 3rd-5th highest paid player in the league when he is not even the best player on the team.

Last edited:

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
$9.9M x 8 years

Unlikely to happen, but that should be the max you pay to PK winger who gets the benefit of playing with Matthews on 1st line. Despite the abomination generally known as his RFA contract.

That's not even considering playoffs.

We are not winning the Cup with Marner playing 30 min a game to justify his cap hit,

Yall are crazy

Dec 11, 2022
Wtf is this? Make a separate thread for that shit. Why does mitch have to lose his appreciation thread but everyone else gets to keep theirs? That's why this world will always be shit. It's catered to negativity under the guise of "free speech and opinion". I am disappointed mod.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Marner will bounce back and Nylander will take a step back or two. I still prefer Nylander. Most because i prefer calm and focus instead of deer in headlight panic. I might be insanly wrong , I love the talent but not the vibe from Marner. When it is the best or one of the best players i belive vibes like that rub of in a bad way on the whole team.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
We now know there is no negotiations. The only question is how long he signs for. He got a blank cheque just like Matty and Willie.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Who knows? He wanted 8 last time, no reason to think he wouldn’t want it this time.

Did he? Because he signed for 6 years @ $11M. His current deal is pure madness, unscalable to 8 year deal.

He wanted to sign 8 but we would have to make RFA Marner the highest-paid player in the league. Feel free to give me your AAV estimate on 8 year RFA deal for Marner... $13M per?

Just because he or his agent said he wanted to sign for 8 years, doesn't automatically mean they meant it :).

"I wanted to sign for $1M x8 but that pesky agent and rookie GM, man what can you do? The whole team needs to play better, not just the core 4." Mitch Marner

Reactions: uncleben and arso40
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad