Tribute Marner Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I think a lot of Leaf fans don't know what a good hockey player looks like because they've been subjected to garbage their whole lives. Either that or they are stupid. Hard to say.

More to the point, I think a lot of Leaf fans don't know what a good playoff hockey team looks because they've been subjected to garbage their whole lives.

Not sure how else to explain how so many seem to be happy with the current collection of "good hockey players" who turn into cupcakes and can't seem to function as a team the minute the playoffs start.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

He needs to have a reboound 2nd half. He hasn't been good enough. The points don't reflect his performance

There were also stats posted recently that his speed is down. I have to wonder what is going on with him... is it an injury that is bothering him? Would sitting him help? Reducing his playing time some?

Honeymoon hangover?

I don't think there is any question that this is a very talented collection of players, and they certainly do a lot of winning... but not when it counts. Whether that's the playoffs, or even times during this regular season, they just don't seem either consistent, or capable of raising their play when it counts... Even in the regular season, when the play gets rougher, like the playoffs, our guys play declines. Of all the guys on the team, Marner is the guy who we need to be like Marner of last regular season, both now, and especially in the playoffs. He was probably our MVP last regular season... and this season... not so much, and in the playoffs, nah.

Reactions: stickty111

Nogatco Rd

Owner & Operator, HFBoards LLC
Apr 3, 2021
Stats don't tell the whole story, but...
AI is going to be very handy for breaking down game stats. Imagine the ways you can dissect and interpret in seconds. Actually in time AI will be able to advise when a player is off his game before he or the coach knows it. Add some sensors in there, maybe monitor the brain for focus.

Anyways that's frightening level stuff but where this all headed. Sidetracked.
Buddy that technology has been available and employed by pro sports teams for literally decades

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
There were also stats posted recently that his speed is down. I have to wonder what is going on with him... is it an injury that is bothering him? Would sitting him help? Reducing his playing time some?

Honeymoon hangover?

I don't think there is any question that this is a very talented collection of players, and they certainly do a lot of winning... but not when it counts. Whether that's the playoffs, or even times during this regular season, they just don't seem either consistent, or capable of raising their play when it counts... Even in the regular season, when the play gets rougher, like the playoffs, our guys play declines. Of all the guys on the team, Marner is the guy who we need to be like Marner of last regular season, both now, and especially in the playoffs. He was probably our MVP last regular season... and this season... not so much, and in the playoffs, nah.
Something is certainly off. Marner has been someone who tends to play in the perimeter and doesn't respond well to physical play, but his overall play usually made up for it, but not this year. Thats the main difference between him and Willy. Nylander all though isn't very physical, but he's excellent in getting the puck from tight corners.

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
Something is certainly off. Marner has been someone who tends to play in the perimeter and doesn't respond well to physical play, but his overall play usually made up for it, but not this year. Thats the main difference between him and Willy. Nylander all though isn't very physical, but he's excellent in getting the puck from tight corners.
He doesn't penalty kill like Marner though. A second line RW, who doesn't PK isn't worth 11.5

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
why even post this garbage? Be better.

This place was so much better when only legit sources could be posted.
That can’t be real right? It just odd that it’s a second time this is happening is it a coincidence?? Or is someone framing mitchy to look like a goof??

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

He needs to have a reboound 2nd half. He hasn't been good enough. The points don't reflect his performance

IMG_5600.jpeg

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

He better start playing better then, all his advanced metrics have taken a massive hit this year and he's pacing for 90 points

He's capable of far better than that, he's been far better than that and it's hard to understand the drop off with Marner right in his prime

Makes me wonder if he's fighting through an injury but if he wants 12.5-13.5 he's going to have to get back to his best because that guy was ******* brilliant

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Marners next contract negotiation starts at 12m.
They could start there id give him 11.5 take it or leave it and I’m not sure I want to give him that if the report that came out was from a reliable source id look to move him for my number 1 dman++ and build a model similar to the avs

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
He doesn't penalty kill like Marner though. A second line RW, who doesn't PK isn't worth 11.5
He's been playing on the PK more and more lately (2:41 to Mitch's 3:04 in January), and leads the team in SH goals and points this year.

Since he also has more goals and assists this year, despite less time on the top line, in not sure it's that clear which one isn't worth 11+.

Reactions: Arzak and arso40
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad