Tribute Marner Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
He has 20Pts in 27GP for games 4-7 (I counted games 3-5 in the shortened Columbus season)
A .74PPG is certainly a disappointing slow down, but every one of the stars has a dip in production for games 4-7.

I'm not justifying it either. Just corroborating the other poster who said Marner gets dumped on more than the others

He plays with Matthews for 30 min a game, getting premium minutes and favourable matchups.

Comparing him to JT or Nylander playing half on the second line with worse assignments (because you are matching Matthews vs oposition 3rd and 4th line half the games you have last change is,despite the false narrative spread here that Nylander should get lesser competition..) is purposely misleading.

Again, watch his playoff highlights from the last playoffs ( or most successful in 20 years) , uber pathetic performance.

0.74PPG means nothing, he is 30 min worth of liability out there in SC playoffs.

Why would you as Leaf fan care about Marner point totals? I honestly don't understand which playoff game(from the last 8 year we've seen Mitch perform) made anyone think Marner is player getting you closer to the Cup?

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Last two years, first 3 games of each series (9 games total):

Marner 4G 10A
Matthews 3G 9A
Tavares 3G 2A
Nylander 2G 3A

Remaining games (9 games total);

Marner 1G 7A
Matthews 6G 1A
Tavares 6G 4A
Nylander 5G 7A

Who got worse as the series got tougher, and who got better?

PPG the last 2 playoffs:

MacKinnon: 1.148
Tkachuk: 1.063
Stone: 1.091
Kucherov: 1.138
Eichel: 1.182
Barkov: 0.742
Stamkos: 0.793
Panarin: 0.667

Marner: 1.222

Is 8 points in 9 games (.888 PPG) really so awful you have to make a point of it?

Personally, I think every game matters and Marner has been overall great, especially because I think D counts as well.

5v5 ranking relative teammates in the playoffs for all 74 forwards with 250+ minutes the last 2 playoffs:

Shot Differential: +6.65 (11th out of 74)
High Danger Chance Differential: +10.16 (9th out of 74)
xGF%: +8.69 (10th out of 74)
Goal Differential: +26.25 (1st of out 74)

I think he was beyond doing something right.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Consensus this year is he has not been very good. The trade poll in the summer was around 70% in favor of trading him with hundreds of votes. Yet three or four posters keep bumping this thread so they can try to control the narrative and also report posters who are "too negative in an appreciation thread".

Best advice I can give to those who agree that he hasn't been great... Do not post in this thread. Let it die. Keep posting in the general Marner discussion thread.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Consensus this year is he has not been very good. The trade poll in the summer was around 70% in favor of trading him with hundreds of votes. Yet three or four posters keep bumping this thread so they can try to control the narrative and also report posters who are "too negative in an appreciation thread".

Best advice I can give to those who agree that he hasn't been great... Do not post in this thread. Let it die. Keep posting in the general Marner discussion thread.

He is on pace for about 95 points right now, he's a good player.

I would consider moving him if a high end defenseman was apart of that return but short of that...it would be hard to win the trade.

Reactions: ACC1224

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Pretty much sums it up. Judging someone's character with very little knowledge of them.
That’s just sports though. When the team is not meeting realistic expectations while the highest payed players are not doing well. Just common for fans to be frustrated at them. With or without the cap, it will be more or less the same.

He is on pace for about 95 points right now, he's a good player.

I would consider moving him if a high end defenseman was apart of that return but short of that...it would be hard to win the trade.
What about McD, lol.

I know what you mean

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
That’s just sports though. When the team is not meeting realistic expectations while the highest payed players are not doing well. Just common for fans to be frustrated at them. With or without the cap, it will be more or less the same.

What about McD, lol.

I know what you mean

If you could confidently tell me that if Marner walks, we could sign McDavid, I would sign off on that for sure.

Reactions: Gabriel426

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

What about McD, lol.

I know what you mean
Rarely them, just him though and no one has more ignorant comments made about them then Marner.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019

Unfortunately, this is the general discussion thread, respectively the only active Marner thread.

The name of this thread changed several times in the last couple of days to general discussion and back to Marner worship to confuse mods/get anyone not positive enough a ban.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Unfortunately, this is the general discussion thread, respectively the only active Marner thread.

The name of this thread changed several times in the last couple of days to general discussion and back to Marner worship to confuse mods/get anyone not positive enough a ban.
Well an appreciation thread should be that, post should be about Marner appreciation. Sure every thread goes off the rails sooner or later but posting derogatory stuff in an appreciation thread is just trolling. Posters could start another thread about Marner gaffs if they like.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
This was a general discussion thread and now a tribute thread? Where can we have a critical conversation on Marner?

He is a very talented player. Some of the plays he makes are great. PO Games 5 6 7 have plagued him though.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario

This is an appreciation thread.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
PPG the last 2 playoffs:

MacKinnon: 1.148
Tkachuk: 1.063
Stone: 1.091
Kucherov: 1.138
Eichel: 1.182
Barkov: 0.742
Stamkos: 0.793
Panarin: 0.667

Marner: 1.222

Is 8 points in 9 games (.888 PPG) really so awful you have to make a point of it?

Personally, I think every game matters and Marner has been overall great, especially because I think D counts as well.

5v5 ranking relative teammates in the playoffs for all 74 forwards with 250+ minutes the last 2 playoffs:

Shot Differential: +6.65 (11th out of 74)
High Danger Chance Differential: +10.16 (9th out of 74)
xGF%: +8.69 (10th out of 74)
Goal Differential: +26.25 (1st of out 74)

I think he was beyond doing something right.
Actually, I didn't make a point of it.

Some posters keep repeating the mantra of "points in the playoffs", while others keep repeating the mantra of "great early, disappears late".

I just showed the stats. But it's fairly clear when you actually see them broken down like that, which players faded and which didn't.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
This is an appreciation thread.

No, it's not, don't let the ever-changing title confuse you.

It doesn't matter how you call it and frankly, it tells a lot about you that you need to defend anti-free speech thread.

Especially since this is the only Marner discussion thread we have. Mods actively close any other Marner discussion thread attempts. Marner apparently can't be discussed, he can only be worshipped.

Even if you could have an appreciation thread ( you really can't unless the player retires or dies), what would be the point of such a thread?

This is the hockey discussion board, you should be banned for creating anti discussion thread.

Only Leaf's mod can fight to turn this into FB echo chamber page.

The best part is how you want to pretend this wasn't a general discussion thread days ago.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
He plays with Matthews for 30 min a game, getting premium minutes and favourable matchups.

Comparing him to JT or Nylander playing half on the second line with worse assignments (because you are matching Matthews vs oposition 3rd and 4th line half the games you have last change is,despite the false narrative spread here that Nylander should get lesser competition..) is purposely misleading.

Again, watch his playoff highlights from the last playoffs ( or most successful in 20 years) , uber pathetic performance.

0.74PPG means nothing, he is 30 min worth of liability out there in SC playoffs.

Why would you as Leaf fan care about Marner point totals? I honestly don't understand which playoff game(from the last 8 year we've seen Mitch perform) made anyone think Marner is player getting you closer to the Cup?
Favourable matchups? What a joke. Their entire defensive mindset is too stop him, he always gets the hardest matchups. Man, talk about not bothering to read the rest of your drivel with that boneheaded perspective.

Reactions: Mr_Fun and ACC1224

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
No, it's not, don't let the ever-changing title confuse you.

It doesn't matter how you call it and frankly, it tells a lot about you that you need to defend anti-free speech thread.

Especially since this is the only Marner discussion thread we have. Mods actively close any other Marner discussion thread attempts. Marner apparently can't be discussed, he can only be worshipped.

Even if you could have an appreciation thread ( you really can't unless the player retires or dies), what would be the point of such a thread?

This is the hockey discussion board, you should be banned for creating anti discussion thread.

Only Leaf's mod can fight to turn this into FB echo chamber page.

The best part is how you want to pretend this wasn't a general discussion thread days ago.
No, don't let yourself be confused. I am telling you it is an appreciation thread.
And you are free to leave it if you do not want to participate in that.

Several other Marner threads come and go all the time. We're not actively shutting down attempts.

Appreciation threads are meant as a space to appreciate the players, as fans, and get away from the bickering negativity for a moment.

And as a mod, yes, I can see that the title was changed. I can also see how long it was an appreciation thread before it was changed for a few hours and put back.

• Haha
Reactions: Arzak

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
No, don't let yourself be confused. I am telling you it is an appreciation thread.
And you are free to leave it if you do not want to participate in that.

Several other Marner threads come and go all the time. We're not actively shutting down attempts.

Appreciation threads are meant as a space to appreciate the players, as fans, and get away from the bickering negativity for a moment.

And as a mod, yes, I can see that the title was changed. I can also see how long it was an appreciation thread before it was changed for a few hours and put back.
If I recall correctly, at one time, the only active Marner thread was this one, I started another one so objective discussion could be had, and ... it was merged with this one.

I think it would be a good idea to have no more than one thread per player, therefore no appreciation threads. I mean what's the point of having an echo chamber which is nothing more than a circle jerk. Should we have 3 threads per player, one where no negative posts are allowed, one where no positive posts are allowed and one where objective discussion could be had? Seems pretty silly to me but if appreciation threads are allowed ...

JMHO.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If I recall correctly, at one time, the only active Marner thread was this one, I started another one so objective discussion could be had, and ... it was merged with this one.

I think it would be a good idea to have no more than one thread per player, therefore no appreciation threads. I mean what's the point of having an echo chamber which is nothing more than a circle jerk. Should we have 3 threads per player, one where no negative posts are allowed, one where no positive posts are allowed and one where objective discussion could be had? Seems pretty silly to me but if appreciation threads are allowed ...

JMHO.

This makes the most sense to me.

It was better when we just had a player thread and appreciation threads were for when they retired. Maybe we should vote on it or something because all the appreciation threads and critical threads are making the board a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad