Tribute Marner Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
I don't think I was the most positive but in general, I do try to stay positive and look at the bright side of things in all aspects of life. And being a fan, I figure you may as well try to stay positive, otherwise what's the point? But yeah after last night, it's tough. It was just so brutal, not just Marner but most of the guys just played so poorly. Even Brodie, I think I said a while back that I think he's the only guy on the team who people never criticize, he just quietly plays rock solid but O-dog broke down the OT goal nicely on overdrive this afternoon and he's right, Brodie's never looked so bad as he did on that play.

I guess if I really wanted to I could make the case that we could still win this thing. Moneypuck has us at 8.4% I believe, I can see where they get that number from and it's not nothing. Woll's been amazing when he's had the chance to play, maybe he makes 38 saves for the shutout and then there's life again ... sort of.

Not gonna lie though, I do feel kind of broken today. 50+ years of cheering for this team and the most talented Leaf team I've ever seen plays this badly in a game this important, it's tough.
That game broke us all bud.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Incredible that even with playing so poorly and single handily destroying Leaf Nations playoff dreams he’s still leading the team in scoring.
Must be a mistake, how has no one over taken him?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Incredible that even with playing so poorly and single handily destroying Leaf Nations playoff dreams he’s still leading the team in scoring.
You're sounding more ridiculous with every post you make. You've set bar so low, yet you keep going lower still. How low can you go?

That was a rhetorical question BTW, but I have no doubt we will get an answer from you soon enough. :laugh::laugh:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If we can sign ROR (2-3 years) and trade Marner for some decent picks and a top 6 winger, that would be fine by me. He should have good value, we may actually become a better playoff team by reallocating the cap space.

Reactions: TorMapleJays

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
I don't think I was the most positive but in general, I do try to stay positive and look at the bright side of things in all aspects of life. And being a fan, I figure you may as well try to stay positive, otherwise what's the point? But yeah after last night, it's tough. It was just so brutal, not just Marner but most of the guys just played so poorly. Even Brodie, I think I said a while back that I think he's the only guy on the team who people never criticize, he just quietly plays rock solid but O-dog broke down the OT goal nicely on overdrive this afternoon and he's right, Brodie's never looked so bad as he did on that play.

I guess if I really wanted to I could make the case that we could still win this thing. Moneypuck has us at 8.4% I believe, I can see where they get that number from and it's not nothing. Woll's been amazing when he's had the chance to play, maybe he makes 38 saves for the shutout and then there's life again ... sort of.

Not gonna lie though, I do feel kind of broken today. 50+ years of cheering for this team and the most talented Leaf team I've ever seen plays this badly in a game this important, it's tough.
Brodie was average all regular season, he has been terrible in the playoffs. Constant stupid misreads and bad gap control, these use to be the things that Brodie did well.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Listen to Overdrive, it's linked in here or the game thread. They broke it down pretty well I think. Basically, 6 of his points were useless points early on.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
I’d be careful what you wish for.. Marner is probably never gonna be the guy to bully his way to the front of the net with a defender draped on him to score.. but if he gets moved to a team with players like that who he can feed the puck he will light them on fire and everyone here will wonder why he didn’t do it here.
He did do it here though? Marner might be one of the best regular season players the Leafs have ever had. In the playoffs though Marner will be know as a guy who at one point had more delay of game penalties than goals.

Reactions: ShaneFalco

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Bro, he is not playing well. You really can't sit here and stated that MM is playing well and creating the most important game of the season.
I said it here, the Leafs need him to be the best player in the game. The whole team is playing bad, but thats why the top players need to show up. RNH been scoreless(I think), but he is not the alpha of that group. MM is one of our two alphas along with AM and both disappeared last night. They are both getting worse by the game.
Something is really wrong with those two. They have all the skills and talents in the World and they showed great fights and hearts in them against TB but how have they been playing the past 3 games?

Brodie was average all regular season, he has been terrible in the playoffs. Constant stupid misreads and bad gap control, these use to be the things that Brodie did well.
I agree with you, TJ dropped off so much, to the point that he could no longer shield Holl. HE did had moments esp in the TB series but his defensive plays been lacking. He used to pretty much played a mistake free game but this past season, playoffs included, he has been making mistakes after mistakes. Sammy bailed him out and so did McCabe.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Listen to Overdrive, it's linked in here or the game thread. They broke it down pretty well I think. Basically, 6 of his points were useless points early on.
You can give him all the links you want, some people just aren't interested in listening.

That was such a great episode there, and they were bang on about Marner (and not just him either), not just that those were the quietest 6 points ever but everything else too.
The trade MM stuff is stupid. But he hasn't been playing well and I really hope he snaps out of it on Wednesday and just be the MM that we know he is capable of, bc we need him to perform in order to have any chances of winning.

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
You can give him all the links you want, some people just aren't interested in listening.

That was such a great episode there, and they were bang on about Marner (and not just him either), not just that those were the quietest 6 points ever but everything else too.

Usually don’t listen but I listened to the whole thing and it’s bang on. 34/16

Reactions: Gary Nylund

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Bro, he is not playing well. You really can't sit here and stated that MM is playing well and creating the most important game of the season.
I said it here, the Leafs need him to be the best player in the game. The whole team is playing bad, but thats why the top players need to show up. RNH been scoreless(I think), but he is not the alpha of that group. MM is one of our two alphas along with AM and both disappeared last night. They are both getting worse by the game.
Something is really wrong with those two. They have all the skills and talents in the World and they showed great fights and hearts in them against TB but how have they been playing the past 3 games?

I agree with you, TJ dropped off so much, to the point that he could no longer shield Holl. HE did had moments esp in the TB series but his defensive plays been lacking. He used to pretty much played a mistake free game but this past season, playoffs included, he has been making mistakes after mistakes. Sammy bailed him out and so did McCabe.
I never said he played well.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Usually don’t listen but I listened to the whole thing and it’s bang on. 34/16
I usually don't listen either but I happened to be at home, notice the time around 3:55 and thought hey Overdrive is about to start, this should be good. And it really was, best episode I've seen.

Reactions: Eye Test

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
C1BDF728-807A-4471-BDDA-B673FBEE164D.jpeg

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
I really think I enjoyed watching a young team, filled with energy and promise...emotional, supportive of each other who cant make the playoffs, rather than this bloated, lazy, cowardly, overpaid (not Gio), spoiled group.
Send MM, AM, Brodie, Gio, Holl, home, play some young Marlies,

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
As Hayes said, they have never lost like this in the past 6 playoffs. Another Mitch-Matty no show and it will get ugly for both if they are swept.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
If Matthews-marner isn't working you separate them.

This isn't complicated, if it hurts feelings, and that is too much for the players to accept, they have to be traded.

Perhaps they need to grow up?
Yeah there's something wrong there. And when Keefe calls them out publicly, he basically has to apologize after.
MM being on the PP for so long with zero goals, the minutes they both get despite their play, the music in practice, the swithc of dress code......it all stinks

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
If Matthews-marner isn't working you separate them.

This isn't complicated, if it hurts feelings, and that is too much for the players to accept, they have to be traded.

Perhaps they need to grow up?
There is nothing to indicate that 'it hurts feelings' or they won't 'accept' it.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Yeah there's something wrong there. And when Keefe calls them out publicly, he basically has to apologize after.
MM being on the PP for so long with zero goals, the minutes they both get despite their play, the music in practice, the swithc of dress code......it all stinks
PP ranked 2nd this year.

There appears to be enough evidence to indicate there is a problem with this combination:

Keefe - Matthews - marner

Unless what we are seeing is the best of marner and Matthews.
Sure but only one of those 3 sets the lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad