Tribute Marner Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
8yr/12.5m aav minimum. Book it.
Earn this last contract first before we talk about almost another 2 million on top

For some reason marner always becomes the whipping boy for the playoffs

He isn’t any worse than matthews nylander or Tavares yet he gets the sole blame

None of the core four have accomplished jack shit when it comes to the playoffs but only one gets singled out.
Yes he is game 4-7 he is when you play with the top 3 player in the game there’s no excuse to disappear when your team needs you the most everyone shares that blame but the stats speak for themselves

Reactions: notDatsyuk

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Earn this last contract first before we talk about almost another 2 million on top

Yes he is game 4-7 he is when you play with the top 3 player in the game there’s no excuse to disappear when your team needs you the most everyone shares that blame but the stats speak for themselves
He's made some bad plays, and he, like the rest, haven't accomplished anything, but he's also been our active playoff points leader since 2018. He has 47 pts in 50 GP. The stats do speak

I get wanting more and being frustrated, but it's not like he just turns completely invisible.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
He's made some bad plays, and he, like the rest, haven't accomplished anything, but he's also been our active playoff points leader since 2018. He has 47 pts in 50 GP. The stats do speak

I get wanting more and being frustrated, but it's not like he just turns completely invisible.
f*** points look in what game he gets them if you read what I said you wouldn’t even pass that comment off as a dignified response look at his game 4 -7 stats since he’s started playing with matthews and you tell me what you just said again from your chest

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
f*** points look in what game he gets them if you read what I said you wouldn’t even pass that comment off as a dignified response look at his game 4 -7 stats since he’s started playing with matthews and you tell me what you just said again from your chest
He has 20Pts in 27GP for games 4-7 (I counted games 3-5 in the shortened Columbus season)
A .74PPG is certainly a disappointing slow down, but every one of the stars has a dip in production for games 4-7.

I'm not justifying it either. Just corroborating the other poster who said Marner gets dumped on more than the others

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
Sigh. I've never said that playoffs are that matter, just that playoffs matter more than the regular season (at least to me).

You're so obsessed with me that you need to make up things I never said, claim I said them so you can yell at me. That doesn't seem healthy.

Actually I'm a pretty likeable guy but more to the point, you don't even know me.

Like you two are doing now. Give yourselves a pat on the back.

I could guess as to what he's like based off interviews etc. but TBH, I don't really care, I don't know him, I've never met him and as long as he's not a complete asshole who treats people in an abusive way, I don't really care. I only care about Marner the hockey player and as far as that goes, he's great during the regular season, he's great when the playoffs start but after the first few games, he seems to fade away. For that reason, if it was up to me, as of right now I would not give him a contract extension for the kind of money he's rumored to be after. Everything's always subject to change though, if he excels in the playoffs that might change.

I think people often get too attached to their opinions about players. They love some players, hate others and that's that. Me I'm always re-evaluating and I think like most people who are trying to be objective, my opinion of Marner went up based on the way he played over the last 2 regular seasons and the last playoffs against Tampa, then it went down a lot after he sucked balls against Florida in the playoffs and has stayed low based on his play this season. Nylander on the other hand, I've always liked him and because his been much more consistent than Marner in the playoffs, I haven't thought that there's a massive gap between the two like many others have said. Now this season, he's been so good that I take him over Marner, period.

That's my opinion, I'm always happy discuss with others, that's why I'm here. But you people that make it personal and don't like my "character", I suggest you stick to discussing the hockey team
Posters like to shit o marner playoffs 4-7 but give Willy matthews and Tavares a pass. We are paying matthews to step up and he doesn’t either

Posters try to recite facts about how great Willy is in the playoffs but don’t bother to look at the stats.

Last playoffs in 11 games Willy had 10 points. Six of those points were 5v5 and four were PP points.
Willy finished the playoffs with a plus/minus of -4
That means Willy was on the ice for 6 goals for 5v5 and
10 goals against 5v5. As for Willy being this strong physical specimen he has 3 hits in the 11 games

Marner had 14 points in 11 games with a plus/minus of plus 7. He also had 18 hits in those 11 games.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
He has 20Pts in 27GP for games 4-7 (I counted games 3-5 in the shortened Columbus season)
A .74PPG is certainly a disappointing slow down, but every one of the stars has a dip in production for games 4-7.

I'm not justifying it either. Just corroborating the other poster who said Marner gets dumped on more than the others
I don’t think it’s unwarranted just like nylander took 11.5 eyes will be on him only difference is he’s made 11.5 as a ufa In his prime the offersheet and playing overseas shenanigans doesn’t help you want a top 3 player as a comparable fine he got it but 2 top 3 players look a lot better than that tbh he makes no difference on mattys line in the past but here’s to him changing the narrative

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
He is though. Marner scores at a career ~30 goal pace in the regular season, yet his goal scoring cuts in half in the playoffs. Against Columbus and Montreal he had 0 goals in back-to-back playoffs. His production in the second half of series (i.e. elimination games) is also putrid and falls off a cliff. In general, his game gets impacted the most between regular season vs playoffs, as teams play much tighter and there is less time and space to do things, plus the increased physicality which seems to rattle him. This is also while getting top ice time and being glued to Matthews' hip.

This is even proven through data:

Marner's shot distance suffers the most as he falls more to the perimeter vs the others.

On top of this, his stat line also gets boosted because he racks up points in early series blowout / high scoring games. In 2022, he had 8 pts in 7 games against Tampa, but 3 of those came in a 5-0 win in game 1, and in games 3-7 he only had 3 assists total. In 2023, he had 14 pts in 11 games, but 6 of those (including 2 of his 3 total goals) came in games 1 and 2 against Tampa where we lost 7-3 and won 7-2, and he had 1 goal and 7 assists in his remaining 9 games.

The others have been disappointing too, but it's the most painful for him IMO.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
For some reason marner always becomes the whipping boy for the playoffs

None of the core four have accomplished jack shit when it comes to the playoffs but only one gets singled out.
What makes you think Marner is the only one who gets blame? Not true at all.

Posters like to shit o marner playoffs 4-7 but give Willy matthews and Tavares a pass. We are paying matthews to step up and he doesn’t either

Posters try to recite facts about how great Willy is in the playoffs but don’t bother to look at the stats.

Last playoffs in 11 games Willy had 10 points. Six of those points were 5v5 and four were PP points.
10 goals against 5v5. As for Willy being this strong physical specimen he has 3 hits in the 11 games

Marner had 14 points in 11 games with a plus/minus of plus 7. He also had 18 hits in those 11 games.
Again, nobody is getting a pass. If you don't think Matthews, Willy and JT are getting passes you've somehow managed to miss a great many posts. What, you think you're only one that's mentioned Willy not hitting people?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
He is though. Marner scores at a career ~30 goal pace in the regular season, yet his goal scoring cuts in half in the playoffs. Against Columbus and Montreal he had 0 goals in back-to-back playoffs. His production in the second half of series (i.e. elimination games) is also putrid and falls off a cliff. In general, his game gets impacted the most between regular season vs playoffs, as teams play much tighter and there is less time and space to do things, plus the increased physicality which seems to rattle him.

Marner's shot distance suffers the most as he falls more to the perimeter vs the others.

On top of this, his stat line also gets boosted because he racks up points in early series blowout / high scoring games. In 2022, he had 8 pts in 7 games against Tampa, but 3 of those came in a 5-0 win in game 1, and in games 3-7 he only had 3 assists total. In 2023, he had 14 pts in 11 games, but 6 of those (including 2 of his 3 total goals) came in games 1 and 2 against Tampa where we lost 7-3 and won 7-2, and he had 1 goal and 7 assists in his remaining 9 games.

Good summary!

I don't know what people are thinking when they say Marner is the only one getting blame. I've probably read literally thousands of posts bitching about everyone from Shanahan to Dubas to Treviling to Keefe and Babcock before him, the goaltending, the defence the bottom 6, literally everyone has taken blame. Hell some people even blame the fanbase LOL for "putting up with it".

Perhaps Marner has gotten more blame than anyone else, that's possible. But if true, that only goes to show what an intelligent fanbase we have overall because guess what - when it comes to our playoff failures, he deserves it!

That's JMHO of course, if some people think that some other player should be at the top of the list, that's fine. It's a big fan base, good luck getting everyone to agree on anything.

Reactions: arso40 and 1specter

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Good summary!

I don't know what people are thinking when they say Marner is the only one getting blame. I've probably read literally thousands of posts bitching about everyone from Shanahan to Dubas to Treviling to Keefe and Babcock before him, the goaltending, the defence the bottom 6, literally everyone has taken blame. Hell some people even blame the fanbase LOL for "putting up with it".

Perhaps Marner has gotten more blame than anyone else, that's possible. But if true, that only goes to show what an intelligent fanbase we have overall because guess what - when it comes to our playoff failures, he deserves it!

That's JMHO of course, if some people think that some other player should be at the top of the list, that's fine. It's a big fan base, good luck getting everyone to agree on anything.
It also comes with the territory when you have a contract negotiation like he did. He wanted to get paid big bucks and got basically $11M/yr when he didn't deserve it...what did he think was gonna happen lol? He was gonna catch that smoke. No shit people are less upset with Willy when he was making $4M less and leads the team in playoff goals since 2020, while also performing better in elimination games.

Reactions: arso40

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

It's really just a few for whatever reason. The vast majority of fans look at things a little more sensibly and realize the entire team needs to be better.
Whatever moaning being done now is pretty useless, lets see what happens this spring.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
He is though. Marner scores at a career ~30 goal pace in the regular season, yet his goal scoring cuts in half in the playoffs. Against Columbus and Montreal he had 0 goals in back-to-back playoffs. His production in the second half of series (i.e. elimination games) is also putrid and falls off a cliff. In general, his game gets impacted the most between regular season vs playoffs, as teams play much tighter and there is less time and space to do things, plus the increased physicality which seems to rattle him. This is also while getting top ice time and being glued to Matthews' hip.

The goals are certainly his most damning stat.
While he did score 20pts in 27 back-half games, as I listed above, he only has 2 goals across those!

Reactions: arso40 and 1specter

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

Agreed, Matthews has been pure dogshit when it matters in the playoffs, yet somehow Mitch gets all the blame. It's fair comment, but to focus on him while ignoring 34 just highlights who the bullshit agenda posters are. As for Bill, he's been decent in the playoffs, not the stud argued here by some. Recall say the TB game when he was garbage, we were down 5-0, game was over he pots 2 late nothing goals. Context matters.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

Last two years, first 3 games of each series (9 games total):

Marner 4G 10A
Matthews 3G 9A
Tavares 3G 2A
Nylander 2G 3A

Remaining games (9 games total);

Marner 1G 7A
Matthews 6G 1A
Tavares 6G 4A
Nylander 5G 7A

Who got worse as the series got tougher, and who got better?

Reactions: 1specter and arso40

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Agreed, Matthews has been pure dogshit when it matters in the playoffs, yet somehow Mitch gets all the blame. It's fair comment, but to focus on him while ignoring 34 just highlights who the bullshit agenda posters are. As for Bill, he's been decent in the playoffs, not the stud argued here by some. Recall say the TB game when he was garbage, we were down 5-0, game was over he pots 2 late nothing goals. Context matters.
I find they have all had their share of being good, but never collectively.

Matthews was pretty big in the Tampa series last year. Nylander was great agsinst Montreal. Marner has had lots of moments.

Overall they have failed too often.

Nothing a deep run into June can't cure.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022

And played with the second or third best player in the world while your comparing a 10.9 mil assistant captain to a 6.9 second tier player are you serious? Nylanders 11.5 doesn’t kicc in til next year technically but I’m watching him this year and expecting him to be held to the same as the other 11 mil players it’s not harping on Mitch we already know jts a mistake But you fuccin wet the bed against Montreal too disappear like your being paid for results that’s through out the playoffs n if I remember he disappeared for the whole florida series

Last two years, first 3 games of each series (9 games total):

Marner 4G 10A
Matthews 3G 9A
Tavares 3G 2A
Nylander 2G 3A

Remaining games (9 games total);

Marner 1G 7A
Matthews 6G 1A
Tavares 6G 4A
Nylander 5G 7A

Who got worse as the series got tougher, and who got better?
That’s the point these use stats in general which mitch will look good he gets em in bunches you need to focus on when the issue lies

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I find they have all had their share of being good, but never collectively.

Matthews was pretty big in the Tampa series last year. Nylander was great agsinst Montreal. Marner has had lots of moments.

Overall they have failed too often.

Nothing a deep run into June can't cure.
Agreed, the team has to step up, they're a big part of that, but I prefer "they" as opposed to "him" because it isn't one guy that's the reason we keep coming up short. Marner disappointed me a lot last playoffs, you won't find one post of me defending him last summer, because he didn't deserve it. Also true 34 didn't do squat, he roamed around waiting for someone else to spark the team, it was maddening to watch. Also, teams don't focus on Nylander in the playoffs, he gets easier match ups, the game plan is stop M and M, simple stats don't quite tell the whole story, it's a lazy narrative, matchups matter too, you should feast.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Agreed, the team has to step up, they're a big part of that, but I prefer "they" as opposed to "him" because it isn't one guy that's the reason we keep coming up short. Marner disappointed me a lot last playoffs, you won't find one post of me defending him last summer, because he didn't deserve it. Also true 34 didn't do squat, he roamed around waiting for someone else to spark the team, it was maddening to watch. Also, teams don't focus on Nylander in the playoffs, he gets easier match ups, the game plan is stop M and M, simple stats don't quite tell the whole story, it's a lazy narrative, matchups matter too, you should feast.
Often overlooked.

Reactions: DarkKnight

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
That’s the point these use stats in general which mitch will look good he gets em in bunches you need to focus on when the issue lies

If we're looking at his game 4-7 stats, his points are fairly spread
He only had 5 multipoint games in the 27 he's played - 4 two point games and only 1 three point game

So while his back-half production was a little lacking (like all the stars), its not like he would just disappear and go pointless for 10 games and then score a 5 point night to buff his stat line

In terms of production, he's actually been fairly consistent. He doesn't really score in bunches...

Reactions: ACC1224

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
8yr/12.5m aav minimum. Book it.
Putting aside the 37M+ which would then be dedicated to that trio of forwards, I might have anticipated something worse than this (potentially aside from the "minimum").

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm curious - can you show us even one post where someone has said that Marner alone is to blame for our playoff failures? I mean if it's true like you say that he gets all the blame, there should be hundreds, if not thousands of posts saying this so it should be super easy to find just one.

My guess is that you can't, because nobody has ever said this. It's a straw man built by people who become snowflakes whenever someone dares to criticize the legendary Mitch Marner.

Again, who ever said it's "one guy"? Show us where someone has said that it's all Marner's fault. Put up, or shut up.

Here's the top of my blame list.

1 - Marner

2 - Matthews
3 - Tavares

Note the gap between 1 and 2.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019

:DD

You need to watch Leafs playoff games to understand. Marner apologist watching excel sheets only.
He played like a scared shit in game 1 too, got 3 assists because he gets to play with Matthews.

Watch last year's highlights, not a single point was a result of his brilliant playmaking. When he is collecting points, he is passenger not driver, on the other hand his scary expression, avoiding hits or putting pucks over the glass, very driver seat.

edit:
He also had 18 hits in those 11 games.

I mean, I've yet to see him deliver a hit. I'm not talking about highlight reel hit, show me a hit that results in Mitch separating player from the puck.

Talking about Mitch Marner's playoff hits :DD:DD:DD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad