Tribute Marner Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Kid is on a serious heater, time for a fresh thread.

Marner is now up to a 14-game points streak, after hustling in and centring for John Tavares’ club-high 12th goal. Marner is the seventh Leaf with a run that long, joining Darryl Sittler, Ed Olczyk, Babe Dye, John Anderson, Lorne Carr and Dave Andreychuk. Sittler and Olczyk have the record of 18.

Last edited:

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
I have problems with him getting too fancy at certain times, but there's no doubt he's one of the best players in the game

On an absolute heater right now and looks dominant every shift. Him and JT fit like a glove, though Marner is so good we can say that about him with a lot of other players

Reactions: Lauro

MAB1

Jul 18, 2022
Marner and JT need to stay together. Matthews and Nylander will get their chemistry flowing again in time.

The Leafs are always at their most dangerous when other teams need to decide whether they put their top defensive lines on Matthews + Nylander or JT + Marner. Either way Marner or Matthews will feast on secondary comp.

MAB1

Jul 18, 2022
Unfortunately it's Matthews who is the issue right now. Until he gets going it will be hard for the line to accomplish much.
I'm not worried about Matthews in the slightest. How can this fanbase say they don't care what happens until the post season and then critique how an individual player is doing 20 games in? He's still ppg. If he finishes the season back at his normal totals the worrying will have been for what? Save yourself the stress.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Marner and JT need to stay together. Matthews and Nylander will get their chemistry flowing again in time.

The Leafs are always at their most dangerous when other teams need to decide whether they put their top defensive lines on Matthews + Nylander or JT + Marner. Either way Marner or Matthews will feast on secondary comp.
I agree, Tavares and Marner should stay together. You can always play Matthews and Marner together at different moments throughout any game whether it be after a penalty kill or late in the game. Splitting those two give us two first lines which makes it tougher for opponents to manage.

The only thing is, Nylander hasn’t looked the same playing alongside Matthews. He isn’t carrying the puck with speed into the o-zone nearly enough. Not sure if that Bunting - Matthews - Nylander line can click. Time will tell.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
I'm not worried about Matthews in the slightest. How can this fanbase say they don't care what happens until the post season and then critique how an individual player is doing 20 games in? He's still ppg. If he finishes the season back at his normal totals the worrying will have been for what? Save yourself the stress.
He will more than likely bounce back, but it's fair to raise concerns at his game right now. He's not dominating like he usually does and doesn't have a single forehand goal 5v5 all year

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Unfortunately it's Matthews who is the issue right now. Until he gets going it will be hard for the line to accomplish much.
Yeah, he needs to figure some stuff out, not the same player we've seen in the past.

There is another thread for Matthews discussion though

Last edited:

MAB1

Jul 18, 2022
He will more than likely bounce back, but it's fair to raise concerns at his game right now. He's not dominating like he usually does and doesn't have a single forehand goal 5v5 all year
sure but leaf fans already said the regular season doesn't matter, only the post-season does. So anything good they do in the regular season apparently don't matter but anything negative matters? Makes no sense.

My point is he hasn't even played 1/4 the season yet and we have 6+ years of data showing who he is, and you're taking the former over the latter.

• Love
Reactions: Auston 316

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Best penalty killer, quarterbacks the PP, top minutes for forwards, offensive engine of the team, hounds pucks, wins pucks, is out there to hold leads, and is well liked in the room. He will be in bronze one day and I for one realize we won’t soon see a player like him anytime soon. Enjoying the ride.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
He's not paid just to be a PPG.

Optimist

Wendel and I
Feb 16, 2015
Ontario Canada
It's definitely a joy to watch Marner lately. He's much better with JT than with Matty because JT goes to the net. He goes to the dirty areas. Mitch will find him. Matty prefers to sit on the perimeter and wait for the puck to come to him. And every team in the league knows this so they shadow him. I can see Mitch's point streak continuing for some time yet if he continues to play with JT.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
I agree, Tavares and Marner should stay together. You can always play Matthews and Marner together at different moments throughout any game whether it be after a penalty kill or late in the game. Splitting those two give us two first lines which makes it tougher for opponents to manage.

The only thing is, Nylander hasn’t looked the same playing alongside Matthews. He isn’t carrying the puck with speed into the o-zone nearly enough. Not sure if that Bunting - Matthews - Nylander line can click. Time will tell.

Nylander had a moment last night VS the devils where he had the puck in the slot, had a choice to shoot, froze all the devils around him and he passed to Matthews who was late and on his off side which means he would need a second to adjust.

Pretty much Nylander had a nice 50/50 chance of beating the goalie. But he chose to pass to Matthews for his famous shot. But that reduced it to like 5%

Nylander has his shot honed in this season. As of now it’s like Matthews should be passing to him.

Hope Matthews finds it soon

Reactions: Chindis

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Nylander had a moment last night VS the devils where he had the puck in the slot, had a choice to shoot, froze all the devils around him and he passed to Matthews who was late and on his off side which means he would need a second to adjust.

Pretty much Nylander had a nice 50/50 chance of beating the goalie. But he chose to pass to Matthews for his famous shot. But that reduced it to like 5%

Nylander has his shot honed in this season. As of now it’s like Matthews should be passing to him.

Hope Matthews finds it soon
The players need to stop trying to force passes to Matthews. Most of the time they don’t work. Matthews makes 11.6 million a year, he can and should be able to create his own shots. Nylander needs to keep playing prior to joining Matthews line and keep shooting. He’s becoming a legitimate threat with his shot which will make defenders have to guard him a lot closer like Matthews which in return will open up Matthews at times.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
That play for the JT goal was a thing of beauty. When Marner is on he looks like a top 5 winger in the league. But I mean it's Magic Mitch, everyone knows this. Just have to hope it translates when the games really matter. JT and Marner have found that prior chemistry though. If Nylander and Matthews can find there's we'll be looking good.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The players need to stop trying to force passes to Matthews. Most of the time they don’t work. Matthews makes 11.6 million a year, he can and should be able to create his own shots. Nylander needs to keep playing prior to joining Matthews line and keep shooting. He’s becoming a legitimate threat with his shot which will make defenders have to guard him a lot closer like Matthews which in return will open up Matthews at times.
Still remembered a few years back when Kuch was lighting up the league. Someone asked Stamkos about his lack of goals and he just said Kuch is scoring and thats why he passes to him.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
sure but leaf fans already said the regular season doesn't matter, only the post-season does. So anything good they do in the regular season apparently don't matter but anything negative matters? Makes no sense.

My point is he hasn't even played 1/4 the season yet and we have 6+ years of data showing who he is, and you're taking the former over the latter.
The overall results of the regular season don't matter too much, if Matthews scores 65 or 50 goals it isn't a big deal. The process is more of the important part

If Matthews was generating chances and dominating 5v5 but was just snake bit I don't think people would be as concerned. The issue is he's not shooting like he usually does and isn't the usual force 5v5. People bringing that up is valid

What I'm hoping is happening is that he just wants to turn it on as the season progresses to peak during playoff time. Just kinda sleep walking for now. He's obviously earned the benefit of the doubt, but you can say he's struggling and needs to pick it up lol

(Also we don't want Matthews from 6+ years, we want the Auston from the last 2 years. At 11.634 he needs to be an MVP level player)

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
He makes some bad gaffes at times but I'm sure it's mostly from trying too hard and trying to do too much.

Right now he seems in the zone and is making some insane plays. Just Leave him off of the D. lol

I can understand the criticism at times but the hate is over the top.

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
He's not my fave Leaf, but I never come down on him. I think his detractors are horribly wrong.

I hope he keeps his streak alive.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
As much media as Toronto gets, Marner's underrated/underappreciated. I don't like Marner-Matthews together, I feel Mitch plays mu. better with Tavares (and NOT Kerfoot on the other wing). Marner seems to have way more puck possession and creativity with Tavares, who plays a a very grinding/off-the-cycle and go-to-the-net game. The styles suit one-another far better and even more with someone like Bunting (previously Hyman).

It's clear that this reduces Matthews total goals (from 60ish) BUT Auston can still produce on his own (with say, Nylander-Robertson). There's still 50 goals there.

Quite simply: it's possible that the Leafs get TWO 50 goal scorers with this top six

Robertson - Matthews (50) - Nylander
Bunting - Tavares (50) - Marner

Anyway, who cares. It's just another opinion, among billions of other stupid opinions. Moving on!

Mitch is a superstar and Leaf fans should learn to appreciate what they have.

Reactions: DarkKnight
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad