Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
He wasn't good enough for this year's WJC. Playing in the CHL had nothing to do with it.

Abramov is undersized and can only be deployed in a scoring role; Russia just had better and older options for those roles. Denisenko, Khovanov (CHL), Marchenko, Podkolzin, Dorofeyev, Sokolov (CHL), Morozov, Voronkov.
I mean Amirov didn't make the team either.

Next year will be different. Abramov and Nikolayev will likely center the top 2 lines.
Also 18 year olds usually don't make the Russian squad unless they're elite talents.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
He wasn't good enough for this year's WJC. Playing in the CHL had nothing to do with it.

Abramov is undersized and can only be deployed in a scoring role; Russia just had better and older options for those roles. Denisenko, Khovanov (CHL), Marchenko, Podkolzin, Dorofeyev, Sokolov (CHL), Morozov, Voronkov.
I mean Amirov didn't make the team either.

Next year will be different. Abramov and Nikolayev will likely center the top 2 lines.
He isn't undersized. He showed up at training camp at 6'1. All your other points stand though.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
....and the Bracco mystery continues.

I wonder if the personal issues was not club related and something personal similar to what Bobby Ryan was going through. (Not speculating / claiming this is the case, just wondering).

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
I wonder if the personal issues was not club related and something personal similar to what Bobby Ryan was going through. (Not speculating / claiming this is the case, just wondering).
I'm actually wondering the same thing. It's concerning, for sure.

Bracco's grandpa used to post here, but it's been a while now. Maybe he could have given us an update.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I've stated a few times, that it's my belief/speculation that Bracco either has some type of health concern, whether that is physical or mental, or someone very close to him does. It doesn't make sense to me, that this is dissatisfaction with his current situation with the Leafs. Dubas has been good at moving people, who need a chance elsewhere, such as Leivo... even taken less than market to do so.... I hope for the best for Bracco, and hope that he can return to hockey soon, but it appears to me, as though something bigger than hockey is facing him right now.

It's interesting, and I suppose respectful, that absolutely nobody is talking about this, or asking questions about it in the media. It's just quiet...

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I've stated a few times, that it's my belief/speculation that Bracco either has some type of health concern, whether that is physical or mental, or someone very close to him does. It doesn't make sense to me, that this is dissatisfaction with his current situation with the Leafs. Dubas has been good at moving people, who need a chance elsewhere, such as Leivo... even taken less than market to do so.... I hope for the best for Bracco, and hope that he can return to hockey soon, but it appears to me, as though something bigger than hockey is facing him right now.

It's interesting, and I suppose respectful, that absolutely nobody is talking about this, or asking questions about it in the media. It's just quiet...

I imagine he will try to return as soon as possible. Especially since I would expect the Marlies are going to be a whole lot more competitive in the final stretch after adding some much needed forward depth to take the pressure off of the top 6. Guys who were comprising our 3rd line, or even playing in our top 6 for some stretches, for much of this year are now either shipped out (Baptiste and Archibald) or are on our "5th line" now (MacMaster, Read, Elynuik, etc.).

The guy does care about hockey a lot, and he knows this is his best shot at an NHL career somewhere else.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
"I'm going to respect the player's wishes and leave it at personal reasons. Team hasn't given a timeline for his return. " when Mirtle was asked about Bracco's situation in his Q&A. Sounds to me like he's really dealing with tough stuff behind the scene.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
"I'm going to respect the player's wishes and leave it at personal reasons. Team hasn't given a timeline for his return. " when Mirtle was asked about Bracco's situation in his Q&A. Sounds to me like he's really dealing with tough stuff behind the scene.
Thanks for the update. Yeah, sounds less and less like wanting-a-trade type of behaviour.

Reactions: SprDaVE

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Next year's Marlies are probably going to look a lot different. We acquired a lot of UFA forwards who likely will not be brought back, so there should be plenty of opportunities for our incoming prospects to make it.

Agostino-Petan-???
Aberg-SDA-???
???-Kossila-???
Holmberg*-Stotts*-Brazeau
MacMaster*-Elynuik*-???
Clune*

Marincin/Vet UFA-Vet UFA
Rosen-Lindgren
Kivihalme*-Hollowell
Rubins*-Duszak
Kral*

Kaskisuo*-Woll
Scott

* means they need to be given a contract.

Reactions: Duke16

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Hope everything is fine with him. It's really concerning.

Reactions: Fogelhund

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
It’s gotta be, given no news.
Good thoughts his way.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Next year's Marlies are probably going to look a lot different. We acquired a lot of UFA forwards who likely will not be brought back, so there should be plenty of opportunities for our incoming prospects to make it.

Agostino-Petan-???
Aberg-SDA-???
???-Kossila-???
Holmberg*-Stotts*-Brazeau
MacMaster*-Elynuik*-???
Clune*

Marincin/Vet UFA-Vet UFA
Rosen-Lindgren
Kivihalme*-Hollowell
Rubins*-Duszak
Kral*

Kaskisuo*-Woll
Scott

* means they need to be given a contract.
You’re assuming Korshkov spends the whole year with the Leafs?
Are any of the Euro picks likely to come over? Holmberg, Kara, Kizimov? Rasanen?
Any Growlers do enough to force ELC’s?

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
You’re assuming Korshkov spends the whole year with the Leafs?
Are any of the Euro picks likely to come over? Holmberg, Kara, Kizimov? Rasanen?
Any Growlers do enough to force ELC’s?

Yes. He's ready to play on the Leafs 4th line full time. Worst case, he flops and Agostino is the full time 4th liner. Either way, I think it makes more sense than bringing Clifford back for whatever he will get in UFA next year. Korshkov/Agostino can bring the energy necessary. The 13th forward job + other 4th line spots I expect will go to three of Spezza, Gauthier, Malgin or Brooks. Depending on the flavour Keefe wants for next year, I can see the Leafs trading Gauthier and rotating Spezza, Malgin and Brooks in and out of the lineup so it's more of a two-way line with more offensive upside. It won't be overly physical outside of Korshkov, but Spezza, Brooks and Malgin are all hard-working, high IQ players who understand what it takes to win a game and should be able to hound people at least as much as Timashov did.

I have Holmberg in the lineup since his SHL deal expires. His Corsi is very nice no matter the quality of team or role he plays. He's not doing much offensively, but in his defense he has 13 points on a team where the top guy only has 25, and he has not been playing a ton of offensive minutes this year. I figured he either signs a two-year deal in the SHL to take him until his rights with us expire (and then we make a decision), or the Leafs decide to bring him in to play on their 4th line and see if he can work his way up from there, similar to Stotts. Holmberg can play all three forward positions so that works in his favour, and I decided why not. Otherwise, his spot likely goes to a one-year SPC veteran with a bit of grit, like a Garret Wilson.

Kara has one more year on his Russian deal and I think he could use a season where he is in the KHL full time and putting up respectable numbers before he comes over anyways. Kizimov is a ways away, if he is anything at all. I think Rasanen's timeline makes more sense for 2 years than now than next year. I would try to get him into the Liiga, and then assuming he does well (which I think he would), he can come in from the Liiga alongside Kokkonen (who also needs another year over there IMO).

The Growlers need to make the Marlies full time before they are in any ELC conversations. I have Brazeau as a full-time 4th liner in the AHL next year. Perhaps another Growler could fill a full-time depth role or two. There is an open spot on the "5th line" for one, but that spot could also go to a more experienced AHL-contract vet to compliment the other fairly young players currently occupying the 4th and 5th lines as well. From there, it is up to them to earn an ELC once they make the Marlies.

This is the rotation for the next few years (excluding any draft picks or trades, and assuming guys are good enough to make the Marlies):

2020-2021 Prospect Rotation

LD Filip Kral (ELC; sent to Growlers to start)
C Semyon Der-Arguchintsev
C/LW Riley Stotts
F Pontus Holmberg
RW Justin Brazeau (AHL contract promoted from Newfoundland) + potentially one other Growler prospect (i.e. Giorgio Estephan, Riley Woods, Colt Conrad, etc.)
+ 2 European/NCAA Free Agent Forwards (i.e. Julius Nattinen, Jordan Kawaguchi, Mitchell Chaffee, etc.)

2021-2022 Prospect Rotation
LW Nick Robertson (assuming he doesn't make the NHL right away)
RD Eemeli Rasanen
RD Mikko Kokkonen
LW/C Nick Abruzzese (depending on how he wants to go about his NCAA career, he follows up his Freshman season with a strong Sophomore season, and if there is room for him)
LD James Greenway (may only be on an AHL contract, and may be on Growlers to start).
LW/RW Vlad Kara
C/RW Mikhail Abramov
G Ian Scott (promoted from Growlers to the Marlies full time)
LD Filip Kral (promoted from Growlers to the Marlies full time)

Which leaves Loponen, O'Connell, Kizimov and Koster as the only other guys out there after the next two years (plus our many upcoming draft picks of course). Bouthillier, Aaltonen and Herzog expire. Bobylev and Chebykin are lemons.

Last edited:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Lineup Changes:
Lorito, Solomaki in. Wilson and Pooley out up front.
Rubins in and Harpur traded.
Woll to start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad