Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Other one is full.

Thanks to @Duke16 for posting this. I didn't know Kral was doing this well.

I would be surprised if he doesn't get an ELC. We could be thin at LD in the AHL/ECHL next year if Kivihalme bolts for Europe again and we non-tender Harpur. Why not take a shot at Kral becoming a prospect?

Reactions: stickty111

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Other one is full.

Thanks to @Duke16 for posting this. I didn't know Kral was doing this well.

There's some things I like and some things I'm not so keen on with Kral's game

I think he's going to have to clean up his defensive game before he becomes anything

I'd like to see him with the Marlies next season and hope they can get to work on it

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Random thought but curious to see how the San Jose defensemen factory will do with Keaton Middleton. Seems like the California teams do a good job turning random big body defensive prospects into serviceable NHL defensive defensemen which is something our system doesn’t seem capable of.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Big defencemen should still be able to produce decent numbers in the AHL, and Middelton hasn't.
He probably isn't making the NHL.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Random thought but curious to see how the San Jose defensemen factory will do with Keaton Middleton. Seems like the California teams do a good job turning random big body defensive prospects into serviceable NHL defensive defensemen which is something our system doesn’t seem capable of.

Kind of hard to do when you don't even give them a chance.

Obviously Hunter was not drafting the right ones, if they can't even make it to the AHL or quickly fizzle out. It's not like other big bodies have not been making the AHL.

Or we are not able to develop them, but it's not like our larger forward prospects (Korshkov, Gauthier, Engvall, etc.) have had trouble developing. So is is just large defensemen we suck at, or

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Big defencemen should still be able to produce decent numbers in the AHL, and Middelton hasn't.

He's been serviceable. I would take him as an everyday guy on the Marlies right now, especially since he's only on an AHL deal. Doesn't mean he will be able to make the NHL but he's progressed nicely enough for a 4th round pick who is only just turning 22. By 23 or 24 he could be a bottom pairing/quality depth guy.

The good news is that Rubins has been solid himself, but Middleton is playing more and doing much better than Rubins relative to his team.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Kind of hard to do when you don't even give them a chance.

Obviously Hunter was not drafting the right ones, if they can't even make it to the AHL or quickly fizzle out. It's not like other big bodies have not been making the AHL.

Or we are not able to develop them, but it's not like our larger forward prospects (Korshkov, Gauthier, Engvall, etc.) have had trouble developing. So is is just large defensemen we suck at, or

Our system seems to prioritize smaller productive forwards who can make a contribution earlier and doesn’t have much patience for developing those Muzzin, McQuaid, Dillon, Miller types who take a bit more development.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Our system seems to prioritize smaller productive forwards who can make a contribution earlier and doesn’t have much patience for developing those Muzzin, McQuaid, Dillon, Miller types who take a bit more development.

I mean how many years did we spend with Justin Holl?

It's just that those types of guys are rare, and are going to become more rare as the game evolves

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

His U21 production slots in with the likes of Polak/Gudas, his U21 with Dumoulin/Petterson/Martinez/Hickey.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I mean how many years did we spend with Justin Holl?

It's just that those types of guys are rare, and are going to become more rare as the game evolves

Think that’s one of the reasons why they haven’t given up on Marincin. Looking for a long shot late bloomer.

But really seems like we can hold onto those kinds of prospects a little longer.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Or we are not giving our system the types of guys who can develop into those types of players. It's not like Desrocher, Mattinen or Nielsen are exactly excelling elsewhere. I think all three developed about as nicely as you could hope for outside of the AHL, but only one (Nielsen) showed enough to continue on to the Marlies. Our development team can only do so much; if the prospect simply does not have it, then he will never have it no matter what.

I think if you are drafting a larger defenseman, the prudent thing would be to either draft an advanced CHLer with skills to match his size and just take him early on, or you take a European/NCAA guy in the mid-later rounds so you can afford to let them simmer outside of the AHL until they are 22/23 before you need to make a decision on them. All of these larger body guys typically take longer, and later round ones take especially long. Taking these mid-late round CHL big guys are even longer shots than anything else you can really get.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Or we are not giving our system the types of guys who can develop into those types of players. It's not like Desrocher, Mattinen or Nielsen are exactly excelling elsewhere. I think all three developed about as nicely as you could hope for outside of the AHL, but only one (Nielsen) showed enough to continue on to the Marlies. Our development team can only do so much; if the prospect simply does not have it, then he will never have it no matter what.

I think if you are drafting a larger defenseman, the prudent thing would be to either draft an advanced CHLer with skills to match his size and just take him early on, or you take a European/NCAA guy in the mid-later rounds so you can afford to let them simmer outside of the AHL until they are 22/23 before you need to make a decision on them. All of these larger body guys typically take longer, and later round ones take especially long. Taking these mid-late round CHL big guys are even longer shots than anything else you can really get.

I suppose we just need the scouting department to look for those body types as well because with the cap being what it is, we sort of need to have a bit of everything to fall back on.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Prospect of the week
I know I said before that I won't give a POW to a player who played one game, but thinking about it, it's not the player's fault he played one game, plus can I really not give a player the POW even if he was amazing in that one game? So, this week I am giving it to Abruzzese. He had 2 goals and 2 assists in the one game. 2 came at ES and 2 on the PP. This is his 1st POW of the season.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I suppose we just need the scouting department to look for those body types as well because with the cap being what it is, we sort of need to have a bit of everything to fall back on.
The problem is that in order to get one of those big guys that also has speed and skill, you almost always have to take them in the top 10-15 of the draft. Unless you get lucky with a pick like Engvall, it's very rare to pick up a guy that skates well enough AND is over 6'2"-6'3" that can be effective at the next level after the first round. You get the odd guy in the 2nd round but it's harder than you think.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Updated February 2nd 2019
Nick Robertson OHL PTB
Games: 34 Goals: 38 Assists: 19 Points: 57 PTS/G: 1.68 LYPTS/G: 1.02 SOG: 197 Rating: +14 ESP: 34 PPP: 20 SHP: 3 CF%: NA TOI: NA POW: 4 POM: 2

SDA OHL PTB
Games: 45 Goals: 8 Assists: 53 Points: 61 PTS/G: 1.36 LYPTS/G: 0.74 SOG: 100 Rating: +5 ESP: 36 PPP: 24 SHP: 1 FO%: 53.0 CF%: NA TOI: NA POW: POM: 1

Kalle Loponen OHL SDB
Games: 45 Goals: 6 Assists: 17 Points: 23 PTS/G: 0.51 SOG: 90 Rating: +4 ESP: 7 PPP: 16 SHP: CF%: NA TOI: NA POW: POM:

Riley Stotts WHL CGY
Games: 48 Goals: 22 Assists: 30 Points: 52 PTS/G: 1.08 LYPTS/G: 0.92 SOG: 137 Rating: +14 ESP: 34 PPP: 17 SHP: 1 FO%: 55.6 CF%: NA TOI: NA POW: 4 POM: 1

Mikhail Abramov QMJHL VIC
Games: 50 Goals: 32 Assists: 30 Points: 62 PTS/G: 1.24 LYPTS/G: 0.87 SOG: 197 DS: 110 Rating: +1 ESP: 38 PPP: 23 SHP: 1 FO%: 52.4 CF%: NA TOI: NA POW: 6 POM: 1

Filip Kral WHL SPO
Games: 45 Goals: 11 Assists: 31 Points: 42 PTS/G: 0.93 LYPTS/G: 0.77 SOG: 107 Rating: +15 ESP: 28 PPP: 14 SHP: CF%: NA TOI: NA POW: 2 POM: 1

Zachary Bouthillier QMJHL SNB
Games: 36 GAA: 3.87 SV%: .901 SO: 2 POW: 1 POM:

Mike Koster USHL TRI
Games: 28 Goals: 2 Assists: 12 Points: 14 SOG: 56 Rating: -10 ESP: 5 PPP: 9 CF%: TOI: POW: POM:

Nicholas Abruzzese NCAA UofH
Games: 20 Goals: 10 Assists: 17 Points: 27 SOG: 45 Rating: +9 ESP: 17 PPP: 10 CF%: TOI: POW: 1 POM:

Ryan O'Connell NCAA UofO
Games: 21 Goals: Assists: 6 Points: 6 SOG: 10 Rating: -1 ESP: 4 PPP: 2 CF%: TOI: POW: POM:

JD Greenway NCAA UofM
Games: 27 Goals: 1 Assists: 7 Points: 8 SOG: 52 Rating: +3 ESP: 8 PPP: CF%: TOI: POW: POM:

Pontus Holmberg SHL Vaxjo
Games: 38 Goals: 5 Assists: 6 Points: 11 PTS/G: 0.29 LYPTS/G: 0.21 SOG: 32 Rating: +12 ESP: 11 PPP: CF%: 50.23 TOI: 12:14 POW: POM:

Semyon Kizimov VHL Lada
Games: 41 Goals: 5 Assists: 5 Points: 10 SOG: 47 Rating: +7 ESP: 10 PPP: CF%: NA TOI: 11:39 POW: POM:

Vladislav Kara VHL Bars
Games: 19 Goals: 6 Assists: 11 Points: 17 PTS/G: 0.89 LYPTS: 0.64 SOG: 68 Rating: +15 ESP: 16 PPP: 1 CF%: TOI: 16:34 POW: POM:
KHL Bars Kazan
Games: 26 Goals: 4 Assists: 4 Points: 8 SOG: 23 Rating: +2 ESP: 8 PPP: CF%: TOI: 8:27 POW: POM:

Mikko Kokkonen Liga Jukurit
Games: 28 Goals: 2 Assists: 1 Points: 3 SOG: 44 Rating: -11 ESP: 3 PPP: CF%: 41.0 TOI: 17:59 POW: POM:
Nuorten SM Liga Jukurit U20
Games: 9 Goals: 2 Assists: 1 Points: 3 SOG: Rating: -7 ESP: PPP: CF%: NA TOI: NA

Eemeli Rasanen KHL Jokerit
Games: 15 Goals: Assists: Points: SOG: 8
Rating: -1 ESP: PPP: CF%: NA TOI: 9:31 POW: POM:
Mestis K-Vantaa
Games: 10 Goals: 2 Assists: 1 Points: 3 Attempted Shots: 31 Rating: +2 ESP: 1 PPP: 1 SHP: 1 CF%: 52.4 TOI: 18:13 POW: POM:
Metal Ligaen Frederikshavn
Games: 7 Goals: Assists: 1 Points: 1 SOG: Rating: ESP: PPP: SHP: CF%: TOI: POW: POM:

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
The problem is that in order to get one of those big guys that also has speed and skill, you almost always have to take them in the top 10-15 of the draft. Unless you get lucky with a pick like Engvall, it's very rare to pick up a guy that skates well enough AND is over 6'2"-6'3" that can be effective at the next level after the first round. You get the odd guy in the 2nd round but it's harder than you think.

There are usually a few in the 2nd or 3rd round, but they are lacking in some way or another (usually offense). Guys like Kokkonen, who is only 5'11" but he plays that kind of style.

I have no issues with taking guys like Rasanen and Greenway, even though their development has not worked out perfectly thus far. Injuries, personal issues and lack of opportunity (in Rasanen's case) have held them back a bit but they still have great potential and packages worth going after.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Its looking like Bracco has completely fallen off the map. He's now being out proudce (P/GP) by Liljegren....

Reactions: supermann_98

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Its looking like Bracco has completely fallen off the map. He's now being out proudce (P/GP) by Liljegren....
Yeah and his drop in production hasn't exactly come at the expense of his improvement in other areas. I would understand if he was killing penalties this year or doing something that could affect his scoring, but his game hasn't expanded one bit.

He wants to be in the NHL on a diet of cookies and a habit of playing video games. If not for the Marlies need for his playmaking on the PP he'd probably already be shipped out of town for a bag of pucks

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Must be mentally tough for Bracco to see what's going on.
He can look in the mirror for that. All the guys he's played with are up the league or have had a cup of coffee with the leafs while he's an afterthought. His effort level and willingness to make the effort required to improve just are not there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->