Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
At what point do you give Duszak a look in the NHL? He's nowhere near ready defensively but I doubt he ever will be. Watching him now he's clearly the most advanced defender on that team offensively and has really separated himself offensively from guys like Hollowell in that respect. He's probably the only Marlie who can tilt ice on his own right now and his ability to drive play as a defender is pretty unique.

Everytime I watch him he looks so much like a Barrie clone. Everything about them is eerily similar.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
At what point do you give Duszak a look in the NHL? He's nowhere near ready defensively but I doubt he ever will be. Watching him now he's clearly the most advanced defender on that team offensively and has really separated himself offensively from guys like Hollowell in that respect. He's probably the only Marlie who can tilt ice on his own right now and his ability to drive play as a defender is pretty unique.

Everytime I watch him he looks so much like a Barrie clone. Everything about them is eerily similar.

I doubt it is going to be this year. I think the Leafs are going to let Kivihalme and Duszak take the reins of this defense, while still having vets like Gravel there to insulate them. Kivihalme is looking like he wants to be in that mix in the NHL with the way he is attacking the game and showing off his abilities, and Duszak may do the same.

They traded away Harpur and Schmaltz so there will be plenty of opportunities for those to eat up some larger minutes now and develop all areas of their games.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

While Barrie is on the team he's got no chance imo

You can only carry so many defensively inept players on the backend before it becomes a massive matchup issue

I'd have Kivihalme in front of him by a country mile at this point in time

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
While Barrie is on the team he's got no chance imo

You can only carry so many defensively inept players on the backend before it becomes a massive matchup issue

I'd have Kivihalme in front of him by a country mile at this point in time

With the way things are heading, Barrie is going to get hurt next game and we have Barrie-lite waiting in the AHL to take over for him.

Imagine he goes from ECHL All-Star to NHL top 4 defenseman over the course of one season...

Reactions: Fogelhund

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
I don't like anything about Kivihalme's game, personally. I'd have Lindgren up before him. But yeah, I could see Duszak spending the rest of this season down with the Marlies and then if he continues to hover around PPG at the start of next season, he gets a cup of coffee. Its just hard to dismiss a guy whose been this good because of "matchups" - at some point he's going to demand a chance.

As an aside, Korshkov was involved all over the ice again. Sprung Kivihalme for a partial break/2on1, almost pulled off a between the legs deke to split the D late in the game and was physical as per usual. His confidence is at an all time high.

Reactions: teddygmr

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
With the way things are heading, Barrie is going to get hurt next game and we have Barrie-lite waiting in the AHL to take over for him.

Imagine he goes from ECHL All-Star to NHL top 4 defenseman over the course of one season...

I'd be to busy crying to take much joy in his season and trajectory :laugh:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I don't like anything about Kivihalme's game, personally. I'd have Lindgren up before him. But yeah, I could see Duszak spending the rest of this season down with the Marlies and then if he continues to hover around PPG at the start of next season, he gets a cup of coffee. Its just hard to dismiss a guy whose been this good because of "matchups" - at some point he's going to demand a chance.

As an aside, Korshkov was involved all over the ice again. Sprung Kivihalme for a partial break/2on1, almost pulled off a between the legs deke to split the D late in the game and was physical as per usual. His confidence is at an all time high.

You can only carry so many one dimensional offensive play drivers before it becomes an issue

He needs to be able to defend if he wants to be anything more than a sheltered #6D who can QB a PP

Kivihalme is the best defenseman on the Marlies now so he's the next player up imo

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Jeez, Woll’s had a rough year :/

Anyone get eyes on him/the goals today?

Only 16 shots. Looks like Marlie team D is coming around?

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

I'd like him to have the 1st one. Can't blame him on the 2nd. The 3rd goal is brutal. He has really hurt this team with goals like that.
He's fortunate Marlies played great today.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
How has Rubins looked this season? Any chances of getting closer towards NHL?

Solid enough as a bottom pairing or depth guy. Closer than he was last year. Still needs to do a lot more for an ELC, and furthermore an NHL shot.

Reactions: stickty111

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008

I'd like him to have the 1st one. Can't blame him on the 2nd. The 3rd goal is brutal. He has really hurt this team with goals like that.
He's fortunate Marlies played great today.

Thanks for posting.
The 3rd was pretty brutal, yeah, he’s gotta have that.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Robertson and the Petes have been off for a week. A week with no hockey for this kid must drive him nuts.

He could hit 50 tomorrow.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

I think Duszak, Hollowell, and Kivihelme are all still on the Marlies to start the year next year. If any of them are becoming NHLers, I'd think later next season is the earliest they'll be up (at least beyond maybe as an emergency call up).

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I think Duszak, Hollowell, and Kivihelme are all still on the Marlies to start the year next year. If any of them are becoming NHLers, I'd think later next season is the earliest they'll be up (at least beyond maybe as an emergency call up).
I think Jesper Lindgren gets a shot before any of those guys. Moore didn't seem to like him as much as Keefe did but let's see what happens when he returns from injury.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Robertson and the Petes have been off for a week. A week with no hockey for this kid must drive him nuts.

He could hit 50 tomorrow.
I hope so. I'm on vacation and going to both Petes home games this week. Tonight's game against Oshawa will be a tough one but he should light it up against Barrie on Sunday.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014

I just finished watching yesterday's game. Obviously if you look at the numbers it doesn't look good.

The first goal was a hard, low slap shot from the top of the circle 14 inches off the ice coming down on the rush, which is tough for a goalie to stop but it is stoppable. 2nd goal was a tip from about 6 feet outside the crease. Nothing he could do about that. The last goal was on the PK which was a shot through a screen.

It's hard for a goalie to be on his game when you don't see a lot of shots but I thought he played pretty well other than a couple times where he almost messed up playing the puck.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

I'd like him to get a game. One of our underrated prospects all though he has struggled production wise with the Growlers.
@Growler, how has he been with you guys?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
So is Bracco basically done with this organization ?

All the way back... one page ago....

"I'm going to respect the player's wishes and leave it at personal reasons. Team hasn't given a timeline for his return. " when Mirtle was asked about Bracco's situation in his Q&A. Sounds to me like he's really dealing with tough stuff behind the scene.

I've stated a few times, that it's my belief/speculation that Bracco either has some type of health concern, whether that is physical or mental, or someone very close to him does. It doesn't make sense to me, that this is dissatisfaction with his current situation with the Leafs. Dubas has been good at moving people, who need a chance elsewhere, such as Leivo... even taken less than market to do so.... I hope for the best for Bracco, and hope that he can return to hockey soon, but it appears to me, as though something bigger than hockey is facing him right now.

It's interesting, and I suppose respectful, that absolutely nobody is talking about this, or asking questions about it in the media. It's just quiet...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad