Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Can't call him interesting to say the least.

21 year old 6'7" RHD who has a legit shot at being a key defender in the Liiga next year? HPK doesn't seem to have too many amazing defenders for him to beat for playing time, and unlike Jokerit, will play young players. Next year could be make or break for him, and if he is able to have a stellar season, he could easily be a top 5 prospect for us after being in obscurity for much of the past 2 years. I'd say that is more interesting than anyone else on that list besides maybe seeing how Woll rebounds. Bracco may not even be here (and that is his most interesting storyline at this point), Robertson is stellar so it only gets interesting if he sucks, and Barabanov is 26 with a bottom 6 skill set. I'd be more interested in how Sandin/Liljegren/Korshkov adjust to the NHL. Or how Rubins, Duszak, Lindgren and Hollowell are going to adjust to bigger roles in the AHL, while Kral and SDA get their first tastes. Or especially how Scott will bounce back from his injury.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Brazeau got beat out slightly for rookie of the year Echl. The kid can score. Skates good enough when he gets rolling but needs lots of skating work and is getting it. He might get to another level in a couple years. I watch intrigued.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
21 year old 6'7" RHD who has a legit shot at being a key defender in the Liiga next year? HPK doesn't seem to have too many amazing defenders for him to beat for playing time, and unlike Jokerit, will play young players. Next year could be make or break for him, and if he is able to have a stellar season, he could easily be a top 5 prospect for us after being in obscurity for much of the past 2 years. I'd say that is more interesting than anyone else on that list besides maybe seeing how Woll rebounds. Bracco may not even be here (and that is his most interesting storyline at this point), Robertson is stellar so it only gets interesting if he sucks, and Barabanov is 26 with a bottom 6 skill set. I'd be more interested in how Sandin/Liljegren/Korshkov adjust to the NHL. Or how Rubins, Duszak, Lindgren and Hollowell are going to adjust to bigger roles in the AHL, while Kral and SDA get their first tastes. Or especially how Scott will bounce back from his injury.

I agree this year is make or break for Rasanen.

He should have stayed in the OHL for one more season and then make the jump to Liiga after that.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I agree this year is make or break for Rasanen.

He should have stayed in the OHL for one more season and then make the jump to Liiga after that.

I still think the immediate jump to pro was the right move. I just think he should have gone to a place he would have played more often, and he definitely would have played every day in the Liiga.

If he went to the Liiga, he gets pro coaching (for his skating and maybe to expand his offensive arsenal) and he goes up against men. The faster and more skilled players in wide open ice would force him to improve his skating if he wanted to survive. He was too talented, and too physically dominant, to have much of a challenge in the OHL. The tighter ice, and lack of quality in most of his competition, meant he could just use his long stick, his defensive IQ and his positioning to be able to stop pretty everyone regardless of his skating ability, which was more than good enough to shut everyone down at that level.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
This is my end of the year prospect breakdown. These are subject to change if the hockey season resumes. I will start at the bottom at #20 and make my way to the top. There will be a separate post for every prospect. I will try to make one daily. By my criteria, Liljegren and Sandin are still prospects so they will be included in this one. I will also be revealing who I feel took the biggest step, dropped the most, and most underrated prospect and so on.

#20. Adam Brooks

Drafted in 2016 as an overager, Brooks spent one more season dominating for the Regina Pats before coming over to the Marlies. He has shown steady growth every season before taking a big step recently which also saw him make his NHL debut this season. He held his own but showed he might not be ready quite yet, but he is certainly a depth option for the Leafs in the future. Sheldon Keefe also really likes Brooks so that’s something in his favour.

Stats 2018/2019
GP: 61
Goals: 21
Assists: 19
Rating: -6

2019/2020
AHL
GP: 29
Goals: 9
Assists: 11
Rating: -7

NHL
GP: 7
Goals: 0
Assists: 3
Rating: +1
TOI: 7:51
CF%: 50.59

Talent Analysis
Breakdown of grades:
1-Poor
2- Below average
3- Average
4- Good
5- Great

Player Grades: Present/Future
Skating: 3.5/4
Shot: 2.5/3
Puck Skills: 3/3
Compete: 4/4
Defence: 4/4
Smarts/IQ: 4/4
note: Puck skills includes passing ability, puck control and creating

These ones were tough to grade for me despite watching this player. He is a pretty decent skater but I can’t put him in the good category here. His overall speed is fine but lacks an explosiveness factor. However I don’t think it will be an issue at the NHL level. The good thing is his skating isn’t really the factor that drives his value.

Offensively, he is again tough to evaluate. He has shown to be a very good offensive player evident by his junior career. He took strides with the Marlies too last couple of seasons, but he is still very inconsistent. He doesn’t really stand out offensively with the Marlies, but his hands in tight are solid and at times shows flashes of being a solid playmaker, but it doesn’t come up as much as you want. His shot again okay, but I doubt he is sniping in the NHL. A lot of his goals will come in tight if he makes it. I will say this tough. I feel like there is more there offensively then what Brooks has shown. His numbers have been good last 2 seasons so maybe he is a late bloomer just like in junior.

I really like his work ethic. No it’s not Zach Hyman level, but he puts the work in on the ice. His compete level is solid, and gives a nice effort in every situation. Defensively, I like him. He is a responsible player and can play on the PK if needed. He is aware of things on the ice and he certainly won’t hurt you in your own zone. Somewhat connected here is his IQ. A pretty smart player and does make the right play depending on the situation. I might call him one of the smarter players on the Marlies. When you put these 3 aspects together, it’s no surprise he is a personal favourite of Keefe’s in the organization. It’s these 3 things that can potentially carry Brooks to the NHL.

NHL Player? Yes

My future projection: I believe he will be an NHL player. I think he settles in as a bottom 6 player who can fill in on the PK, and chip in a little offense.

Ignore the grammer issues guys. @Kiwi and @SeaOfBlue, do you guys agree with the grades? Where would guys put Brooks in each category.

Reactions: Kiwi

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009

Other than his size, there's nothing about his game that stands out or should give anyone any hope
Rasanen has done nothing since his draft to consider him any type of prospect or any future with the Leafs

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
This is my end of the year prospect breakdown. These are subject to change if the hockey season resumes. I will start at the bottom at #20 and make my way to the top. There will be a separate post for every prospect. I will try to make one daily. By my criteria, Liljegren and Sandin are still prospects so they will be included in this one. I will also be revealing who I feel took the biggest step, dropped the most, and most underrated prospect and so on.

#20. Adam Brooks

Drafted in 2016 as an overager, Brooks spent one more season dominating for the Regina Pats before coming over to the Marlies. He has shown steady growth every season before taking a big step recently which also saw him make his NHL debut this season. He held his own but showed he might not be ready quite yet, but he is certainly a depth option for the Leafs in the future. Sheldon Keefe also really likes Brooks so that’s something in his favour.

Stats 2018/2019

2019/2020
AHL

NHL

Talent Analysis
Breakdown of grades:
1-Poor
2- Below average
3- Average
4- Good
5- Great

These ones were tough to grade for me despite watching this player. He is a pretty decent skater but I can’t put him in the good category here. His overall speed is fine but lacks an explosiveness factor. However I don’t think it will be an issue at the NHL level. The good thing is his skating isn’t really the factor that drives his value.

Offensively, he is again tough to evaluate. He has shown to be a very good offensive player evident by his junior career. He took strides with the Marlies too last couple of seasons, but he is still very inconsistent. He doesn’t really stand out offensively with the Marlies, but his hands in tight are solid and at times shows flashes of being a solid playmaker, but it doesn’t come up as much as you want. His shot again okay, but I doubt he is sniping in the NHL. A lot of his goals will come in tight if he makes it. I will say this tough. I feel like there is more there offensively then what Brooks has shown. His numbers have been good last 2 seasons so maybe he is a late bloomer just like in junior.

I really like his work ethic. No it’s not Zach Hyman level, but he puts the work in on the ice. His compete level is solid, and gives a nice effort in every situation. Defensively, I like him. He is a responsible player and can play on the PK if needed. He is aware of things on the ice and he certainly won’t hurt you in your own zone. Somewhat connected here is his IQ. A pretty smart player and does make the right play depending on the situation. I might call him one of the smarter players on the Marlies. When you put these 3 aspects together, it’s no surprise he is a personal favourite of Keefe’s in the organization. It’s these 3 things that can potentially carry Brooks to the NHL.

NHL Player? Yes

My future projection: I believe he will be an NHL player. I think he settles in as a bottom 6 player who can fill in on the PK, and chip in a little offense.

Ignore the grammer issues guys. @Kiwi and @SeaOfBlue, do you guys agree with the grades? Where would guys put Brooks in each category.

I think Brooks is a Jack of all trades but master of none type of prospect which limits his upside, skates ok, thinks ok, works ok, shoots ok but doesn't do anything at an above NHL level to help him stick

When I look at him I see a fringe bottom 6 player that won't hurt you but won't do anything particularly positive either, he's just there

I'd describe him as organizational depth which lowers him significantly in my own prospect rankings

I think 20 is pretty close to right Stickty :thumbu:

Reactions: stickty111

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

#20. Adam Brooks

Stats 2018/2019

2019/2020
AHL

NHL

Talent Analysis
Breakdown of grades:
1-Poor
2- Below average
3- Average
4- Good
5- Great

NHL Player? Yes

I wouldn't say I know enough to give completely accurate grades for each thing like you did, but I think the overall projection for him is about right. I think he tops out as a 3C at best, and may be able to live as a modern day 4C if we ever decide to trade Gauthier. He may be able to PK if necessary, but I would not plan on ever having him as one of my top 4 PK forwards, and he may be a 2PP type of guy, but once again I can see him getting passed up on a pretty offensively talented squad. For the most part, besides maybe his IQ and compete, he is in the 2.5-3 range for me right now in terms of NHL ability, with the potential to be a 3-3.5 type guy across the board at his peak in a year or two.

Skating: 3/3.5
Defense: 3/3.5
Compete: 3.5/4
IQ: 4/4

High End: Essentially another Alex Kerfoot; 10-15 goal, 35-40 point center with no real distinguishable skills but is a solid, all-around two-way center who is an option on both the PP and PK.
2020-2021 Projection: Passable 4C who could challenge Gauthier for a spot but likely ends up on waivers (and clears) this year. Could act as the center version of Trevor Moore of 2018-2019.

#20 could be right. I wouldn't know exactly because my prospect rankings are U24 (1997 and later). Brooks is 24 years old, and when he was on my rankings, he was a little bit higher than that (like mid-late teens somewhere).

Last edited:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I think Brooks is a Jack of all trades but master of none type of prospect which limits his upside, skates ok, thinks ok, works ok, shoots ok but doesn't do anything at an above NHL level to help him stick

When I look at him I see a fringe bottom 6 player that won't hurt you but won't do anything particularly positive either, he's just there

I'd describe him as organizational depth which lowers him significantly in my own prospect rankings

I think 20 is pretty close to right Stickty :thumbu:
Can't disagree with that. At his age and where he is on the prospect depth chart, he is more of a depth prospect.

I wouldn't say I know enough to give completely accurate grades for each thing like you did, but I think the overall projection for him is about right. I think he tops out as a 3C at best, and may be able to live as a modern day 4C if we ever decide to trade Gauthier. He may be able to PK if necessary, but I would not plan on ever having him as one of my top 4 PK forwards, and he may be a 2PP type of guy, but once again I can see him getting passed up on a pretty offensively talented squad. For the most part, besides maybe his IQ and compete, he is in the 2.5-3 range for me right now in terms of NHL ability, with the potential to be a 3-3.5 type guy across the board at his peak in a year or two.

Skating: 3/3.5
Defense: 3/3.5
Compete: 3.5/4
IQ: 4/4

High End: Essentially another Alex Kerfoot; 10-15 goal, 35-40 point center with no real distinguishable skills but is a solid, all-around two-way center who is an option on both the PP and PK.
2020-2021 Projection: Passable 4C who could challenge Gauthier for a spot but likely ends up on waivers (and clears) this year. Could act as the center version of Trevor Moore of 2018-2019.

#20 could be right. I wouldn't know exactly because my prospect rankings are U24 (1997 and later). Brooks is 24 years old, and when he was on my rankings, he was a little bit higher than that (like mid-late teens somewhere).
Thanks for the thoughts. If you don't mind, I will probably get your opinion on every prospect in my rankings and where you would rank their tools like you did here.
Kerfoot didn't even come to mind but he is good comparable. Not much of a goal scorer but can give you some playmaking and can play centre or wing in a 3rd line role. I think 4C is likely more realistic for Brooks. Maybe in the Gauthier role but a different kind of role. I agree with your talent analysis. Average to above average tools across the board. That can get you in the NHL if your a smart player which Brooks is.

I debated putting Brooks in here but with him on the verge of the NHL, but not completely in the NHL yet so I put him on the list. I'm sure as I make my way to the top, people will disagree with my rankings.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

#19. Eemeli Rasanen
Rasanen was drafted in 2017 in the 2nd round. He was projected to go somewhere in this round, so this was a decent pickup at the time. Unfortunately, Rasanen can be labelled as a stagnated prospect. After playing another season for Kingston in the OHL, Rasanen made the strange decision to head overseas to the KHL. His production relitavely stayed the same from his draft year, and he hadn’t really proven he needed a bigger challenge. Reports started to surface he was feeling homesick so it became more understandable why he left. The last couple years it has been a near disaster developmental wise. He has played limited games for Jokerit often dressing as the 7th defenceman, but either not playing at all or very little. Add on the injury in his 1st season with Jokerit, and it’s not been good for Rasanen. From the limited information there, he also has looked overmatched in the league. Last season, he was shuffled around from the KHL to Mestis and also to Denmark. This isn’t good for any player who needs to develop. Rasanen finally made the wise decision to join Finnish league this upcoming season which should have happened 2 years ago. This is a huge season for Rasanen otherwise he will be off this list, and not a prospect worth talking about.

Stats

2018/2019
KHL
GP: 12
Goals: 1
Assists: 1
Rating: +2
TOI: 10:23

2019/2020
KHL
GP: 17
Assists: 0
Rating: -4
TOI: 9:43

Mestis
GP: 14
Goals: 2
Rating: +3
TOI: 17:54
CF%: 50.8

Talent Analysis
Breakdown of grades:
1- Poor
2- Below average
3- Average
4- Good
5- Great

Skating: 3/3
Shot: 2.5/2.5
Defence: 3/4
Smarts/IQ: 3.5/4

For a big guy, Rasanen isn’t a bad skater. Big guys like him usually are worse skaters but he moves around alright. However he still needs to get better. The movement look a bit awkward and need to be more fluid. He takes long strides and as a result of his size, he takes up a lot of space. If he can take a further step, then you might really have something.

Despite my stance on him as a prospect, I do like his tools. He can move the puck pretty well and doesn’t really panic with it. He has a nice 1st pass and shows pretty decent vision on the ice. He has shown to be a solid PP option in his young career. With that being said, this is pretty much where any production will come from. He is not an overly creative player and prefers being the steady defenseman which is not a bad thing. His game is more simplicity with some value on the PP. You can kind of see this from his corsi% in Mestis with him having the 3rd highest on the team.

Work ethic is not an issue for Rasanen. He works hard on the ice and off the ice.

Rasanen is a pretty decent defensive player. He was known to be a physical player with some decent hits in junior, but he his 1st season with Kingston where he was playing his best hockey at the end of the year and then playoffs, he learned to force players to the outside or make them dump it in. This was an adjustment early on the year but he improved at the end. As mentioned in the skating section, he doesn’t panic with the puck and as a result makes the right plays. He is a smart player offensively and defensively.

My future projection: Sadly I think those 2 years of lost developmental time may have done it for Rasanen. It’s 2 write off years for a player who is now 21. However he can really change this with a big season this year in Liiga

NHL Player? No

@Kiwi and @SeaOfBlue, what do you think on the talent analysis?

Last edited:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

#19. Eemeli Rasanen
Rasanen was drafted in 2017 in the 2nd round. He was projected to go somewhere in this round, so this was a decent pickup at the time. Unfortunately, Rasanen can be labelled as a stagnated prospect. After playing another season for Kingston in the OHL, Rasanen made the strange decision to head overseas to the KHL. His production relitavely stayed the same from his draft year, and he hadn’t really proven he needed a bigger challenge. Reports started to surface he was feeling homesick so it became more understandable why he left. The last couple years it has been a near disaster developmental wise. He has played limited games for Jokerit often dressing as the 7th defenceman, but either not playing at all or very little. Add on the injury in his 1st season with Jokerit, and it’s not been good for Rasanen. From the limited information there, he also has looked overmatched in the league. Last season, he was shuffled around from the KHL to Mestis and also to Denmark. This isn’t good for any player who needs to develop. Rasanen finally made the wise decision to join Finnish league this upcoming season which should have happened 2 years ago. This is a huge season for Rasanen otherwise he will be off this list, and not a prospect worth talking about.

Stats

2018/2019
KHL

2019/2020
KHL

Mestis

Talent Analysis
Breakdown of grades:
1- Poor
2- Below average
3- Average
4- Good
5- Great

For a big guy, Rasanen isn’t a bad skater. Big guys like him usually are worse skaters but he moves around alright. However he still needs to get better. The movement look a bit awkward and need to be more fluid. He takes long strides and as a result of his size, he takes up a lot of space. If he can take a further step, then you might really have something.

Despite my stance on him as a prospect, I do like his tools. He can move the puck pretty well and doesn’t really panic with it. He has a nice 1st pass and shows pretty decent vision on the ice. He has shown to be a solid PP option in his young career. With that being said, this is pretty much where any production will come from. He is not an overly creative player and prefers being the steady defenseman which is not a bad thing. His game is more simplicity with some value on the PP. You can kind of see this from his corsi% in Mestis with him having the 3rd highest on the team.

Work ethic is not an issue for Rasanen. He works hard on the ice and off the ice.

Rasanen is a pretty decent defensive player. He was known to be a physical player with some decent hits in junior, but he his 1st season with Kingston where he was playing his best hockey at the end of the year and then playoffs, he learned to force players to the outside or make them dump it in. This was an adjustment early on the year but he improved at the end. As mentioned in the skating section, he doesn’t panic with the puck and as a result makes the right plays. He is a smart player offensively and defensively.

My future projection: Sadly I think those 2 years of lost developmental time may have done it for Rasanen. It’s 2 write off years for a player who is now 21. However he can really change this with a big season this year in Liiga

NHL Player? No

I think he's to high Stickty, I'd rank him outside of my top 20 pretty easily at this point and I'd be pleasantly surprised if he ever became anything more than a complete washout

I'm going to be honest and say I haven't seen a lot of him the last year or two (leaving Junior and plentiful ice time was a developmental mistake imo, sorry @SeaOfBlue) but when I was following him closely I found his 4 way mobility sub par and his puck moving lacking even at lower levels, I doubt that improved significantly with minimal playing time and career stagnation

He had strengths, his shot was good and he was willing to use his frame to help himself defend in zone but all things being equal I don't see an NHL player, I doubt he will even become a good AHL player

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I think he's to high Stickty, I'd rank him outside of my top 20 pretty easily at this point and I'd be pleasantly surprised if he ever became anything more than a complete washout

I'm going to be honest and say I haven't seen a lot of him the last year or two (leaving Junior and plentiful ice time was a developmental mistake imo, sorry @SeaOfBlue) but when I was following him closely I found his 4 way mobility sub par and his puck moving lacking even at lower levels, I doubt that improved significantly with minimal playing time and career stagnation

He had strengths, his shot was good and he was willing to use his frame to help himself defend in zone but all things being equal I don't see an NHL player, I doubt he will even become a good AHL player
Thats fair. I had thoughts about putting him outside my top 20, but even though I don't believe in him as a prospect, I like his upside more then the guys that missed the cut, even if there is like 0 chance he reaches it. Funny I even thought about him as high as #17, but when you look at the 2 guys above him as you will see in the coming days, they had much better seasons.
Honestly it's not the skating that worries away all though it need to improve. He's okay for a big guy but it's the 2 writeoff years he just had. Thats a lot of development time he missed that he won't get back.
Next season is pretty much the make or break year. Another bad season and he is pretty much out.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Thats fair. I had thoughts about putting him outside my top 20, but even though I don't believe in him as a prospect, I like his upside more then the guys that missed the cut, even if there is like 0 chance he reaches it. Funny I even thought about him as high as #17, but when you look at the 2 guys above him as you will see in the coming days, they had much better seasons.
Honestly it's not the skating that worries away all though it need to improve. He's okay for a big guy but it's the 2 writeoff years he just had. Thats a lot of development time he missed that he won't get back.
Next season is pretty much the make or break year. Another bad season and he is pretty much out.

Yep, I'd definitely rank him behind Brooks who was #20 on your list because I can at least see Brooks being filler at the NHL level and I just can't see Rasanen getting there without some sort of unforeseen developmental explosion, that 2 seasons of developmental stagnation have really tanked his stock for me

Although to be fair to him outside of the top 10 our prospect pool does look a little thin with a lot of "home run swings" with low probability of contact in it

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009

#20. Adam Brooks

Stats 2018/2019

2019/2020
AHL

NHL

Talent Analysis
Breakdown of grades:
1-Poor
2- Below average
3- Average
4- Good
5- Great

NHL Player? Yes

Sounds like Connor Brown.......lite

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009

#20. Adam Brooks

Stats 2018/2019

2019/2020
AHL

NHL

Talent Analysis
Breakdown of grades:
1-Poor
2- Below average
3- Average
4- Good
5- Great

NHL Player? Yes

Sounds like Connor Brown.......lite

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

#19. Eemeli Rasanen

Stats

2018/2019
KHL

2019/2020
KHL

Mestis

Talent Analysis
Breakdown of grades:
1- Poor
2- Below average
3- Average
4- Good
5- Great

NHL Player? No

Can't even comment much since I have only really seen him a few times, mostly when he was on the Marlies. I thought he was solid for a 20 year old with supposed skating issues. This year will be one I will watch him closely because he could definitely have a chance to get good ice time and excel.

I think he can be a 3-3.5 skater, shot and puck handler once he fills out (he would never be a speedster but I think he can end up being a powerful skater with a strong, balanced stride that would pair well with a long reach and a physical style) and a 3.5-4 defense, compete and IQ at his peak if he works out. High end I think is a good defensive #4 with the offensive skills to be effective in today's NHL. Maybe another Ceci with more reach and physicality if he develops properly, and I would take that any day. 5 goals and 20-25 assists in a good offensive year with some opportunities to produce some offense is his high end IMO. Won't get PP time, but should be a main shutdown and PK guy.

I have him 13th/24, or 15th/26 if you include Sandin and Liljegren, on my U24 prospect list. So I still have quite a bit of faith in him, but he is likely going to be in the late teens after this draft. The main thing with him is he is a total wildcard, much like Greenway, but definitely has an attractive package that would a prospect like Kokkonen, who is top 5 right now if Sandin and Liljegren are excluded.

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
It's too bad that Rasanen's development has gone as it has. His player profile was drool worthy when we drafted him, we could really use a prospect like him to work out for us. Make or break season but I don't think there is many people out there with much hope for him at this point. Was an intriguing player to watch during his short OHL career.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
#18. Pontus Holmberg
Overview

He is one of my personal favourites in the system. He also might one of the more interesting ones. Leafs didn’t have a 6th round pick in the draft, but got one when they traded for the pick. Buffalo Sabres received future considerations in the deal which ended up becoming the Leafs 6th round selection in 2019, 177th overall. Leafs clearly targeted Holmberg in that they traded for the pick, and selected him 156th overall. Holmberg was possibly a recommendation by Tommy Bergman. Holmberg has played in the SHL for Vaxjo the last couple seasons, and despite a minimal role in each season, has shown decent growth there in terms of his production. He also played for Sweden in the WJC in the 18/19 season, but was held pointless in 5 games.

Stats

2018/2019
SHL
GP: 47
Goals: 3
Assists: 7
Rating: -2
TOI: 13:11
CF%: 60.31

2019/2020
SHL
GP: 52
Goals: 7
Assists: 10
Rating: +18
TOI: 13:14
CF%: 49.51

Statistical Analysis

In the 1st season where he was 11th in ice time among forwards, Holmberg had decent production while receiving no PP time. In terms of PPG, he was outside the top 10 among forwards. This makes it seem he wasn’t all that great in terms of pure production which would be fair, but again factor in the low ice time with 0 PP time, it’s actually decent. The stat that really sticks out is his 60.31 CF%. Thankfully unlike other leagues, SHL actually tracks these advanced metrics which helps us read the players performance better. Using only the players who played at least 10 games, Holmberg had the 2nd best CF% on the team, and 7th highest in the entire league. He drove play at an amazing level. At the same time, his PDO was at .95 which represents he was unlucky. This might be shown in his production.
Moving on to this season, Holmberg’s production nearly doubled while playing only 5 more games than last season. His TOI was pretty much identical, and just like last season, he had no PP time. He was also +18 compared to -2 last season. Plus minus isn’t good to look at alone, so can’t really tell much from it, but that number is quite a jump. His possession numbers however fell off the map this season. This season he was barely staying afloat in terms of CF%. At the same time, Vaxjo’s team CF% fell from 54 to 50, so that may have something to do with it. Holmberg’s PDO also rose to 1.01
From what I can gather from this, Holmberg goes where the team goes. However when the team is good on possession, he can be a standout for the team. He produces at a decent level with low TOI and PP time, but it’s too soon to see what his production actually tells us about him as a player.

Talent Analysis
Breakdown of grades:
1- Poor
2- Below average
3- Average
4- Good
5- Great

Skating: 4/4
Shot: 1/2
Compete: 3/3.5
Defence: 3/3.5
Smarts/IQ: 3.5/3.5

I got Scott Wheeler’s grades on this player, and then came up with a final grade based on other people’s opinion.
Skating is easily Holmberg’s best attribute. He is a good north south skater and laterally as well, and is pretty quick player. He can change direction quickly with the puck. If there is one thing he could get better here, Holmberg could get a step faster.

Holmberg is a pure playmaker. He shows flashes of being a great playmaker and finding teammates for scoring opportunities, but with lack of PP time, it’s tough to evaluate how good it might actually be. Many scouting people he is a creative player. His shot is not worth talking about. It needs to get much better, and I believe it will. Some shooting instruction and he could get it to below average. He has the skillset to play on the PP and be of value offensively.

This one is found interesting. For someone his size, he is actually pretty strong in the corners and has underrated strength. Part of that is strength alone, but some of that is work ethic and Holmberg does seem have decent work ethic.

Holmberg is fine defensively. He gets a 3 which is not a bad thing. To me, 3 is you do your job and don’t hurt the team, which is more than good enough. Average is usually good enough for a player in the NHL of course depending on the other tools. Holmberg is a smart player. Corey Pronman has mentioned he has “big time smarts”. He makes the right play with the puck or off the puck. I can’t give him a 4 because of a lack of info, but everywhere I have read his IQ is good, so 3.5 seems accurate.

My future projection: Players like this are tough to project. They are still far from the NHL, but have shown improvement so far. If he does make the NHL, it will be in a bottom 6 role where he can give you minutes and play on the PP if needed

NHL Player? No, but very much in progress

what do you think @Kiwi and @SeaOfBlue? I highly doubt you guys have seen him play, but opinions?

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
#18. Pontus Holmberg
Overview

He is one of my personal favourites in the system. He also might one of the more interesting ones. Leafs didn’t have a 6th round pick in the draft, but got one when they traded for the pick. Buffalo Sabres received future considerations in the deal which ended up becoming the Leafs 6th round selection in 2019, 177th overall. Leafs clearly targeted Holmberg in that they traded for the pick, and selected him 156th overall. Holmberg was possibly a recommendation by Tommy Bergman. Holmberg has played in the SHL for Vaxjo the last couple seasons, and despite a minimal role in each season, has shown decent growth there in terms of his production. He also played for Sweden in the WJC in the 18/19 season, but was held pointless in 5 games.

Stats

2018/2019
SHL
GP: 47
Goals: 3
Assists: 7
Rating: -2
TOI: 13:11
CF%: 60.31

2019/2020
SHL
GP: 52
Goals: 7
Assists: 10
Rating: +18
TOI: 13:14
CF%: 49.51

Statistical Analysis

In the 1st season where he was 11th in ice time among forwards, Holmberg had decent production while receiving no PP time. In terms of PPG, he was outside the top 10 among forwards. This makes it seem he wasn’t all that great in terms of pure production which would be fair, but again factor in the low ice time with 0 PP time, it’s actually decent. The stat that really sticks out is his 60.31 CF%. Thankfully unlike other leagues, SHL actually tracks these advanced metrics which helps us read the players performance better. Using only the players who played at least 10 games, Holmberg had the 2nd best CF% on the team, and 7th highest in the entire league. He drove play at an amazing level. At the same time, his PDO was at .95 which represents he was unlucky. This might be shown in his production.
Moving on to this season, Holmberg’s production nearly doubled while playing only 5 more games than last season. His TOI was pretty much identical, and just like last season, he had no PP time. He was also +18 compared to -2 last season. Plus minus isn’t good to look at alone, so can’t really tell much from it, but that number is quite a jump. His possession numbers however fell off the map this season. This season he was barely staying afloat in terms of CF%. At the same time, Vaxjo’s team CF% fell from 54 to 50, so that may have something to do with it. Holmberg’s PDO also rose to 1.01
From what I can gather from this, Holmberg goes where the team goes. However when the team is good on possession, he can be a standout for the team. He produces at a decent level with low TOI and PP time, but it’s too soon to see what his production actually tells us about him as a player.

Talent Analysis
Breakdown of grades:
1- Poor
2- Below average
3- Average
4- Good
5- Great

Skating: 4/4
Shot: 1/2
Compete: 3/3.5
Defence: 3/3.5
Smarts/IQ: 3.5/3.5

I got Scott Wheeler’s grades on this player, and then came up with a final grade based on other people’s opinion.
Skating is easily Holmberg’s best attribute. He is a good north south skater and laterally as well, and is pretty quick player. He can change direction quickly with the puck. If there is one thing he could get better here, Holmberg could get a step faster.

Holmberg is a pure playmaker. He shows flashes of being a great playmaker and finding teammates for scoring opportunities, but with lack of PP time, it’s tough to evaluate how good it might actually be. Many scouting people he is a creative player. His shot is not worth talking about. It needs to get much better, and I believe it will. Some shooting instruction and he could get it to below average. He has the skillset to play on the PP and be of value offensively.

This one is found interesting. For someone his size, he is actually pretty strong in the corners and has underrated strength. Part of that is strength alone, but some of that is work ethic and Holmberg does seem have decent work ethic.

Holmberg is fine defensively. He gets a 3 which is not a bad thing. To me, 3 is you do your job and don’t hurt the team, which is more than good enough. Average is usually good enough for a player in the NHL of course depending on the other tools. Holmberg is a smart player. Corey Pronman has mentioned he has “big time smarts”. He makes the right play with the puck or off the puck. I can’t give him a 4 because of a lack of info, but everywhere I have read his IQ is good, so 3.5 seems accurate.

My future projection: Players like this are tough to project. They are still far from the NHL, but have shown improvement so far. If he does make the NHL, it will be in a bottom 6 role where he can give you minutes and play on the PP if needed

NHL Player? No, but very much in progress

what do you think @Kiwi and @SeaOfBlue? I highly doubt you guys have seen him play, but opinions?

I saw him in the WJC, his highlight package and one Vaxjo game on a stream. His shot is not that bad. It is a 2 right now and could be a 3 in his prime. His IQ is also easily a 4 IMO. Really smart player and it is what could get him to the NHL. I think his puck skills has more upside as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad