Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
#18. Pontus Holmberg
Overview

He is one of my personal favourites in the system. He also might one of the more interesting ones. Leafs didn’t have a 6th round pick in the draft, but got one when they traded for the pick. Buffalo Sabres received future considerations in the deal which ended up becoming the Leafs 6th round selection in 2019, 177th overall. Leafs clearly targeted Holmberg in that they traded for the pick, and selected him 156th overall. Holmberg was possibly a recommendation by Tommy Bergman. Holmberg has played in the SHL for Vaxjo the last couple seasons, and despite a minimal role in each season, has shown decent growth there in terms of his production. He also played for Sweden in the WJC in the 18/19 season, but was held pointless in 5 games.

Stats

2018/2019
SHL
GP: 47
Goals: 3
Assists: 7
Rating: -2
TOI: 13:11
CF%: 60.31

2019/2020
SHL
GP: 52
Goals: 7
Assists: 10
Rating: +18
TOI: 13:14
CF%: 49.51

Statistical Analysis

In the 1st season where he was 11th in ice time among forwards, Holmberg had decent production while receiving no PP time. In terms of PPG, he was outside the top 10 among forwards. This makes it seem he wasn’t all that great in terms of pure production which would be fair, but again factor in the low ice time with 0 PP time, it’s actually decent. The stat that really sticks out is his 60.31 CF%. Thankfully unlike other leagues, SHL actually tracks these advanced metrics which helps us read the players performance better. Using only the players who played at least 10 games, Holmberg had the 2nd best CF% on the team, and 7th highest in the entire league. He drove play at an amazing level. At the same time, his PDO was at .95 which represents he was unlucky. This might be shown in his production.
Moving on to this season, Holmberg’s production nearly doubled while playing only 5 more games than last season. His TOI was pretty much identical, and just like last season, he had no PP time. He was also +18 compared to -2 last season. Plus minus isn’t good to look at alone, so can’t really tell much from it, but that number is quite a jump. His possession numbers however fell off the map this season. This season he was barely staying afloat in terms of CF%. At the same time, Vaxjo’s team CF% fell from 54 to 50, so that may have something to do with it. Holmberg’s PDO also rose to 1.01
From what I can gather from this, Holmberg goes where the team goes. However when the team is good on possession, he can be a standout for the team. He produces at a decent level with low TOI and PP time, but it’s too soon to see what his production actually tells us about him as a player.

Talent Analysis
Breakdown of grades:
1- Poor
2- Below average
3- Average
4- Good
5- Great

Player Grades: Present/Future
Skating: 4/4
Shot: 1/2
Puck Skills: 3/3
Compete: 3/3.5
Defence: 3/3.5
Smarts/IQ: 3.5/3.5
note: Puck skills includes passing ability, puck control and creating

I got Scott Wheeler’s grades on this player, and then came up with a final grade based on other people’s opinion.
Skating is easily Holmberg’s best attribute. He is a good north south skater and laterally as well, and is pretty quick player. He can change direction quickly with the puck. If there is one thing he could get better here, Holmberg could get a step faster.

Holmberg is a pure playmaker. He shows flashes of being a great playmaker and finding teammates for scoring opportunities, but with lack of PP time, it’s tough to evaluate how good it might actually be. Many scouting people he is a creative player. His shot is not worth talking about. It needs to get much better, and I believe it will. Some shooting instruction and he could get it to below average. He has the skillset to play on the PP and be of value offensively.

This one is found interesting. For someone his size, he is actually pretty strong in the corners and has underrated strength. Part of that is strength alone, but some of that is work ethic and Holmberg does seem have decent work ethic.

Holmberg is fine defensively. He gets a 3 which is not a bad thing. To me, 3 is you do your job and don’t hurt the team, which is more than good enough. Average is usually good enough for a player in the NHL of course depending on the other tools. Holmberg is a smart player. Corey Pronman has mentioned he has “big time smarts”. He makes the right play with the puck or off the puck. I can’t give him a 4 because of a lack of info, but everywhere I have read his IQ is good, so 3.5 seems accurate.

My future projection: Players like this are tough to project. They are still far from the NHL, but have shown improvement so far. If he does make the NHL, it will be in a bottom 6 role where he can give you minutes and play on the PP if needed

NHL Player? No, but very much in progress

what do you think @Kiwi and @SeaOfBlue? I highly doubt you guys have seen him play, but opinions?

I just haven't seen enough of him to really form an opinion Stickty, what I have seen looked solid if unspectacular but I just haven't had enough views to know what to think of him

I just put him into the "to be decided later bin" :laugh:

Reactions: stickty111

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I saw him in the WJC, his highlight package and one Vaxjo game on a stream. His shot is not that bad. It is a 2 right now and could be a 3 in his prime. His IQ is also easily a 4 IMO. Really smart player and it is what could get him to the NHL. I think his puck skills has more upside as well.
Thats great to hear.
I just haven't seen enough of him to really form an opinion Stickty, what I have seen looked solid if unspectacular but I just haven't had enough views to know what to think of him

I just put him into the "to be decided later bin" :laugh:
Lol no worries:laugh:
There is tomorrow's prospect, and then 1-16 gets fascinating.

Reactions: Kiwi

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
We interrupt these prospect rankings with a little bit of news:

Was one of the few bright spots under Moore in his brief 4th line role. Hopefully can continue it as a full time rotation player on the RW alongside Justin Brazeau next year.

He was pretty good. Good shot, could skate and threw the body a bit. Nice re-signing for the Marlies.

Todd03

May 28, 2016
If i was the maple leafs i would take full advantage of
the 50 nhl contracts and the 90 players under contract.
To improve the prospects pool.
I also get ride of this just speed and skill idea. It will not win
a Stanley cup. I would want it to be if a team came into
my barn it was a hard fought game. Where you could not
push my team around. Which happens a lot right now.
Burke has it right this is not a beer league.

Last edited:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
This is my end of the year prospect breakdown. These are subject to change if the hockey season resumes. I will start at the bottom at #20 and make my way to the top. There will be a separate post for every prospect. I will try to make one daily. By my criteria, Liljegren and Sandin are still prospects so they will be included in this one. I will also be revealing who I feel took the biggest step, dropped the most, and most underrated prospect and so on.

#17. Vladislav Kara
Overview
Everyone forgive me on this one. There is extremely limited information on this player, but I will try my best. Kara was drafted with the Leafs 2nd pick in the 4th round in 2017. This pick originally belonged to Pittsburgh which the Leafs got in the Frank Corrado trade. Kara was the last pick of this round at 124th overall. Kara was unranked by most scouting services, which made Kara a reach at the time by the Leafs. After a couple respectable seasons in the VHL, Kara really took a step in the VHL this season nearing PPG, and having a great start in the KHL, before really falling off.

Stats

2018/2019
VHL
GP: 25
Goals: 5
Assists: 11
Rating: +8
TOI: 18:24

KHL
GP: 41
Assists: 2
Rating: -3
TOI: 7:10

2019/2020
VHL
Assists: 14
Rating: +15
TOI: 17:17

KHL
GP: 27
Goals: 4
Assists: 4
Rating: +2
TOI: 8:17

Statistical Analysis

In the 2018/2019 season, Kara had good production and it was pretty much the same this season. Kara however really struggled to produce in the advanced league in the KHL, all though he didn’t receive much ice time to do anything. This season he got off to a great start in the KHL with all of his 8 points in the first 10 games, but he was held pointless in the next 17 games. What we can gather is Kara has shown to be a top performer in the Supreme Hockey League, but can he take the next step in a top league? That will be the question to improve his NHL chances.
Talent Analysis
Breakdown of grades:
1- Poor
2- Below average
3- Average
4- Good
5- Great

Skating: 3.5/4
Shot: 4/4
Puck Skills: 3/3
Compete: 3.5/3.5
Defence: 2.5/3
Smarts/IQ: 3/3
Note: Puck skills includes passing ability, puck control and creating

These are my best guesses based on the limited info, and the highlights I got. These might change if I get more information on the player

Kara is a decent skater. There was a source when he was drafted that he was a terrible skater. But I don’t see that from the highlights. He moves around well with the puck, but he could use an added step. Overall he is okay, and don’t think it will hurt him.

This might be his best tool. Kara has a really nice wrist shot, which he has got by goalies as he beat them on the far side. Some of the goals were impressive as he somehow found very little room under the goalie’s glove or blocker. I put it as a future value of 4, because you can make the case it’s in the good category. Whether it’s above average or good, that’s a nice tool to have offensively. Overall, I find the rest of his tools just okay at best. He seems like an okay puck handler, and has shown flashes of nice hands, but I think his shot drives his offensive value.

He seems like the normal worker who puts in the effort required, so he is fine here. However what stands out is that he loves to drive the net, and others along with himself have called him a power forward. He really does like to take the puck to the net which is never a bad thing to have as player.

Regarded as more of a two play player then an offensive guy, he is an okay defensive player, but with him PWF, he needs to improve. This is all I have for him on defence with the lack of information. His IQ is also fine as a player.

My future projection: Just like the ones before aside from Brooks, he is tough to project. He has shown to be a great producer in the VHL. He needs to get more minutes in the KHL to see how good he is as a player. I don’t see him being much a player, as there just isn’t enough there. I think Holmberg has a higher chance then Kara

NHL Player? No, but can’t count him out
The remaining 16 prospects is where the intrigue starts.

What do you think @Kiwi and @SeaOfBlue? I'm not expecting much analysis on him:laugh:

Last edited:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
This is my end of the year prospect breakdown. These are subject to change if the hockey season resumes. I will start at the bottom at #20 and make my way to the top. There will be a separate post for every prospect. I will try to make one daily. By my criteria, Liljegren and Sandin are still prospects so they will be included in this one. I will also be revealing who I feel took the biggest step, dropped the most, and most underrated prospect and so on.

#17. Vladislav Kara
Overview
Everyone forgive me on this one. There is extremely limited information on this player, but I will try my best. Kara was drafted with the Leafs 2nd pick in the 4th round in 2017. This pick originally belonged to Pittsburgh which the Leafs got in the Frank Corrado trade. Kara was the last pick of this round at 124th overall. Kara was unranked by most scouting services, which made Kara a reach at the time by the Leafs. After a couple respectable seasons in the VHL, Kara really took a step in the VHL this season nearing PPG, and having a great start in the KHL, before really falling off.

Stats

2018/2019
VHL

KHL

2019/2020
VHL

KHL

Statistical Analysis

In the 2018/2019 season, Kara had good production and it was pretty much the same this season. Kara however really struggled to produce in the advanced league in the KHL, all though he didn’t receive much ice time to do anything. This season he got off to a great start in the KHL with all of his 8 points in the first 10 games, but he was held pointless in the next 17 games. What we can gather is Kara has shown to be a top performer in the Supreme Hockey League, but can he take the next step in a top league? That will be the question to improve his NHL chances.
Talent Analysis
Breakdown of grades:
1- Poor
2- Below average
3- Average
4- Good
5- Great

Skating: 3/3.5
Shot: 3.5/4
Puck Skills: 2.5/3
Defence: 3.5/4

These are my best guesses based on the limited info, and the highlights I got. These might change if I get more information on the player

Kara is a decent skater. There was a source when he was drafted that he was a terrible skater. But I don’t see that from the highlights. He moves around well with the puck, but he could use an added step. Overall he is okay, and don’t think it will hurt him.

This might be his best tool. Kara has a really nice wrist shot, which he has got by goalies as he beat them on the far side. Some of the goals were impressive as he somehow found very little room under the goalie’s glove or blocker. I put it as a future value of 4, because you can make the case it’s in the good category. Whether it’s above average or good, that’s a nice tool to have offensively. Overall, I find the rest of his tools just okay at best. He seems like an okay puck handler, and has shown flashes of nice hands, but I think his shot drives his offensive value.

He seems like the normal worker who puts in the effort required, so he is fine here. However what stands out is that he loves to drive the net, and others along with himself have called him a power forward. He really does like to take the puck to the net which is never a bad thing to have as player.

Regarded as more of a two play player then an offensive guy, he is a solid defensive player. This is all I have for him on defence with the lack of information. The same goes for his smarts.

My future projection: Just like the ones before aside from Brooks, he is tough to project. He has shown to be a great producer in the VHL. He needs to get more minutes in the KHL to see how good he is as a player. I don’t see him being much a player, as there just isn’t enough there. I think Holmberg has a higher chance then Kara

What do you think @Kiwi and @SeaOfBlue? I'm not expecting much analysis on him:laugh:

Put him in the "to be decided later" bin Stickty, with Holmberg :laugh:

Young non elite players just don't get enough opportunity or TOI to make any sort of a judgment on them playing in the Russian league's, especially the KHL

Their does seem to be some talent there so I'm not giving up on him and I'd love to get a look at him in the AHL so I could make some informed judgments on his skill set but I may not get that opportunity unfortunately

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

#17. Vladislav Kara
Overview

Stats

2018/2019
VHL

KHL

2019/2020
VHL

KHL

Statistical Analysis

Talent Analysis
Breakdown of grades:
1- Poor
2- Below average
3- Average
4- Good
5- Great

Regarded as more of a two play player then an offensive guy, he is a solid defensive player. This is all I have for him on defence with the lack of information. The same goes for his smarts.

Never seen him before. Probably a bottom 6 grinding type from what I have read, and will hopefully be on the Marlies after next year.

Spencer White

Dec 24, 2019

#17. Vladislav Kara
Overview

Stats

2018/2019
VHL

KHL

2019/2020
VHL

KHL

Statistical Analysis

Talent Analysis
Breakdown of grades:
1- Poor
2- Below average
3- Average
4- Good
5- Great

Hmmmmmm maybe he could use uhhhh Barb Underhill

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
What? Burke was our GM and his teams were soft and bad.

I think Burke's last Leaf lineup had Orr, Brown, McLaren, Phaneuf and Fraser. This years Leafs team would piss themselves in front of those soft guys. I agree they were bad but it had more to do with a low octane offence that couldn't carry the above scrubs. Boz was not a top line center. JVR was very much a complimentary piece, and Kessel was not Jagr. Remember how hot the Leafs were after Brad Richards? All we wanted back then was legit firepower in the top 6 but ownership would not allow itself to draft where those players were available. .

Last edited:

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011

#17. Vladislav Kara
Overview

Stats

2018/2019
VHL

KHL

2019/2020
VHL

KHL

Statistical Analysis

Talent Analysis
Breakdown of grades:
1- Poor
2- Below average
3- Average
4- Good
5- Great

I hope he comes to the Marlies next year. I feel his game might be better suited for the smaller ice. Could surprise people like Engvall did.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

#16. Mike Koster
Overview

One of the picks which people were surprised got to the Leafs. Koster was drafted in the 5th round in last year’s draft 146th overall. He was expected to go earlier than this, so Leafs were fortunate he fell to where he did. He played in the USHL this season, before he is expected to go to college next season. Koster overall had a decent albeit a little bit injury filled season. He really struggled at the start in the new role he got, before really settling in. He was given tough defensive assignments as was the plan to work on his defensive game. He got going offensively after a slow start. We will have a better idea where he is at after his college career. He is a very worthwhile project that offers good upside if he works out.

Stats
2018/2019
USHL
GP: 15
Goals: 2
Rating: +4

2019/2020
USHL
GP: 37
Assists: 15
Rating: -8

Statistical Analysis

As mentioned, Koster struggled at the beginning adjusting to his new role as a defensive player which affected his production, and then his production started to catch up. He finished tied for 2nd among defensemen on his team in scoring, and Koster played 11 less games then the player he was tied with. After going pointless in his first 5 games, and only 6 points in the first 16 games, Koster finished with 12 in the next 21 games. Plus Minus is a terrible stat to use, but he was -10 in those 16 games, and finished a +2 the rest of the way whatever that means.

Talent Analysis
Breakdown of grades:
1- Poor
2- Below average
3- Average
4- Good
5- Great

Skating: 3.5/4.5
Shot: 3/3
Puck Skills: 4/4
Defence: 2.5/3.5
Smarts/IQ: 3.5/4

Some conflicting views on his skating. Pronman says it’s average, while Wheeler says it’s a plus. My best interpretation based on the information and watching him is its above average. This comes from his edge work which is really solid. He can escape pressure well when going east to west. His speed is just average so that’s why I can’t put his skating in the good category. If he can get a step quicker which I believe he will, his skating becomes very good, and that’s why I put him at 4.5 as a future value and not just 4. His edgework is also really good, so just a little more speed really makes it a strength, a s he already has the other element you want in terms of his skating. If he doesn’t improve where here he is now, I don’t think it will affect him too much but may limit him as a puck mover a little bit.

He is a tremendous passer. Koster can make passes in transition and land the puck right on the tape. This really helps when he is breakout the puck, and this might be his best trait. Even when he has to make a quick decision, he usually finds his teammates. His passing is best used in transition. One thing he can do is use his great passing better in the offensive zone. Sometimes he overshoots, which can kill plays. He needs to look at all the plays, and with his passing being really good, he can create a lot of offense. This brings me to his shot which I would classify as average. It’s decent and at times it will lead to goals, but it’s not really a huge tool that he should be using a lot. His potential offensive value will come from his passing.

He is a motivated player who is willing to get better in the areas he requires work in. Despite being put in a defensive role the last 2 years with the Storm, he has handled the challenge well.

His defensive game needs work and is below average, but it’s a bit misleading. When it comes to defending his blue line, he is solid. He plays a tight gap and takes away time and space from the opposing player. This is the way you want your defensemen to defend the blueline, so it’s a great sign Koster has that. The issue starts in the defensive zone which is expected. He can get puck watching which is a big no no. Another thing which affects this is his lack of strength to battle effectively in the corners. However, he apparently showed improvement this season which he needs to continue on.

Scouts say he is a smart player. He makes the right play with the puck, and while he will turn over the puck occasionally like all puck movers, he makes the correct read on who the give the puck too. Even in the defensive zone, he is fine too as his mistakes comes from lack of awareness then in does IQ, which is different than awareness.

My future projection: I have a good feeling about this player. He plays to where the game is going, and he has a couple tools you can classify as good, and has shown improvement in the weak areas. He is still far away, but I think he becomes a player for the team. What it might come down too is if he can use his tools effectively in the offensive zone. He ranks 16 on my list but you can put him at 13 easily on my list, but he lands at 16 because the few coming up are more proven.

NHL Player? No, but only because he is a project and sometime away.
Thoughts @Kiwi, @SeaOfBlue on his talent analysis?

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
A thank you to @Caser for Kara's grades, so based on his view, I am changing the grade on Kara. You guys can take a look.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario

#16. Mike Koster
Overview

One of the picks which people were surprised got to the Leafs. Koster was drafted in the 5th round in last year’s draft 146th overall. He was expected to go earlier than this, so Leafs were fortunate he fell to where he did. He played in the USHL this season, before he is expected to go to college next season. Koster overall had a decent albeit a little bit injury filled season. He really struggled at the start in the new role he got, before really settling in. He was given tough defensive assignments as was the plan to work on his defensive game. He got going offensively after a slow start. We will have a better idea where he is at after his college career. He is a very worthwhile project that offers good upside if he works out.

Stats
2018/2019
USHL

2019/2020
USHL

Statistical Analysis

As mentioned, Koster struggled at the beginning adjusting to his new role as a defensive player which affected his production, and then his production started to catch up. He finished tied for 2nd among defensemen on his team in scoring, and Koster played 11 less games then the player he was tied with. After going pointless in his first 5 games, and only 6 points in the first 16 games, Koster finished with 12 in the next 21 games. Plus Minus is a terrible stat to use, but he was -10 in those 16 games, and finished a +2 the rest of the way whatever that means.

Talent Analysis
Breakdown of grades:
1- Poor
2- Below average
3- Average
4- Good
5- Great

Some conflicting views on his skating. Pronman says it’s average, while Wheeler says it’s a plus. My best interpretation based on the information and watching him is its above average. This comes from his edge work which is really solid. He can escape pressure well when going east to west. His speed is just average so that’s why I can’t put his skating in the good category. If he can get a step quicker which I believe he will, his skating becomes very good, and that’s why I put him at 4.5 as a future value and not just 4. His edgework is also really good, so just a little more speed really makes it a strength, a s he already has the other element you want in terms of his skating. If he doesn’t improve where here he is now, I don’t think it will affect him too much but may limit him as a puck mover a little bit.

He is a tremendous passer. Koster can make passes in transition and land the puck right on the tape. This really helps when he is breakout the puck, and this might be his best trait. Even when he has to make a quick decision, he usually finds his teammates. His passing is best used in transition. One thing he can do is use his great passing better in the offensive zone. Sometimes he overshoots, which can kill plays. He needs to look at all the plays, and with his passing being really good, he can create a lot of offense. This brings me to his shot which I would classify as average. It’s decent and at times it will lead to goals, but it’s not really a huge tool that he should be using a lot. His potential offensive value will come from his passing.

He is a motivated player who is willing to get better in the areas he requires work in. Despite being put in a defensive role the last 2 years with the Storm, he has handled the challenge well.

His defensive game needs work and is below average, but it’s a bit misleading. When it comes to defending his blue line, he is solid. He plays a tight gap and takes away time and space from the opposing player. This is the way you want your defensemen to defend the blueline, so it’s a great sign Koster has that. The issue starts in the defensive zone which is expected. He can get puck watching which is a big no no. Another thing which affects this is his lack of strength to battle effectively in the corners. However, he apparently showed improvement this season which he needs to continue on.

Scouts say he is a smart player. He makes the right play with the puck, and while he will turn over the puck occasionally like all puck movers, he makes the correct read on who the give the puck too. Even in the defensive zone, he is fine too as his mistakes comes from lack of awareness then in does IQ, which is different than awareness.

My future projection: I have a good feeling about this player. He plays to where the game is going, and he has a couple tools you can classify as good, and has shown improvement in the weak areas. He is still far away, but I think he becomes a player for the team. What it might come down too is if he can use his tools effectively in the offensive zone. He ranks 16 on my list but you can put him at 13 easily on my list, but he lands at 16 because the few coming up are more proven.

He kind of gives me Dermott vibes. I wouldnt expect a similar result to this point though.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

#16. Mike Koster
Overview

Stats
2018/2019
USHL

2019/2020
USHL

Statistical Analysis

Talent Analysis
Breakdown of grades:
1- Poor
2- Below average
3- Average
4- Good
5- Great

He's shifty, sees the ice well, can skate the puck out of his own zone and jump into the rush effectively in a non reckless manner, his 4-way mobility helps and is a definite plus skill even if his straight line speed is average

Makes good accurate anticipatory passes and buys time effectively to open up passing options for himself in all 3 zones, thats also a plus skill imo

He showed some ability to use his body effectively in defensive coverage and along the boards even though he isn't overly physical, I liked his gap control when he was facing odd man and man on man situations off the rush as well

Now for the less good stuff

He needs to learn how to defend and break up a cycle, deal with bodies and sticks in front of the net effectively, learn some techniques on how to deal with bigger bodied players in his own zone so he doesn't get overpowered physically and have more awarness of what's happening around him when he is defending in general, I can't see him progressing through the levels of the organization without some serious defensive improvements to his game

That first year or two in college is going to tell us a ton about Koster as a player imo, we see growth in his defensive game there he will climb my prospect rankings pretty quickly but that needs to show some signs of improvement before I'll get to high on him becoming a viable NHL possibility

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
He's shifty, sees the ice well, can skate the puck out of his own zone and jump into the rush effectively in a non reckless manner, his 4-way mobility helps and is a definite plus skill even if his straight line speed is average

Makes good accurate anticipatory passes and buys time effectively to open up passing options for himself in all 3 zones, thats also a plus skill imo

He showed some ability to use his body effectively in defensive coverage and along the boards even though he isn't overly physical, I liked his gap control when he was facing odd man and man on man situations off the rush as well

Now for the less good stuff

He needs to learn how to defend and break up a cycle, deal with bodies and sticks in front of the net effectively, learn some techniques on how to deal with bigger bodied players in his own zone so he doesn't get overpowered physically and have more awarness of what's happening around him when he is defending in general, I can't see him progressing through the levels of the organization without some serious defensive improvements to his game

That first year or two in college is going to tell us a ton about Koster as a player imo, we see growth in his defensive game there he will climb my prospect rankings pretty quickly but that needs to show some signs of improvement before I'll get to high on him becoming a viable NHL possibility
Yup thats fair. There are some certainly intriguing tools he has, but his defensive ability will show if his chances of becoming an NHL player are strong.

Last edited:

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Time for some quarantine hype for Hunter's much maligned and other wise forgotten overager- Yegor Korshkov
Outside of his 18-19 season being pretty much a lost year from injuries and iirc coaching decisions, the kid has been a great prospect.

The U20 season that earned him is controversial 31st overall selection is right in line with the U20 season that Denisenko just had, and similar to a guy like Dadonov

Looking internally at how Russian's can translate, his U21, and U22 years were significantly ahead of the curve that Mikheyev showed (Barabanov as well). He's two years younger than both, so mapping across Korshkov's current season is at the same age that Soup emerged as an impact KHL player. Another development year -either in the AHL and as 1st wing call up- or in a depth role with the Leafs could well see Korshkov similarly emerge as a valuable top 9 player the year after, and with his size, skill, and playstyle that will be a great thing

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
#15. Ian Scott
Overview

We get to our 1st of 2 goalie’s who are in the top 20. I debated putting Scott higher, and you can make a strong case he should be. However, he’s only had 1 albeit great season, while the others weren’t good at all and he missed all of this season, so 15 sounds about right. He also can really jump if he has a good season in pro. Scott came into his WHL bantam draft with a lot of hype taken 9th overall in 2014, but failed to deliver on the promise, and then Scott was taken 110th overall in the 4th round in the 2017 draft. You could have made the argument Leafs chose Scott after missing out on the higher goalie’s ranked, and after his D+1 season, he wasn’t looking good, but he really took off in 18/19 with a fantastic season, and gave people excitement and was rewarded with an ELC. He missed all of this season with an injury, so his pro debut will come next season, but we will have a better idea if 18/19 was a one off, or he is a blue chip goalie prospect.

Stats
2017/2018
WHL
GP: 50
GAA: 3:10
SV%: .897
SO: 0
2018/2019
WHL
GP: 49
GAA: 1.83
SV%: .932
SO: 8

Statistical Analysis
As you can see, what a difference a year makes. After being poor in the season prior and season’s before that as well, Scott put in an MVP season. His GAA was lower then 2, and his SV% was .932 along with 8 shutouts. He was given the top goaltender award. His playoff numbers were even more impressive with just a slight dip in both categories finishing with a 1.96, and a .925 SV%. He was named best goalie in the playoffs as well. You can scream “one year wonder”, but Prince Albert was just a good team on paper, and Scott was their best player, so Scott really was the driving force of the team. This might just be a player who is finally living up to the hype he had a few years ago.
Talent Analysis
I’m not going to even try evaluating a goalie, so there is nothing here. However I might have a little more analysis on Woll seeing him more.

My future projection: It’s fair to wonder if this is just one good season, but I feel like Scott is the real deal. He was the best player on just a good team on paper at best, and has a ton of talent. I think he becomes an NHL goalie of some sort.
NHL Player? No, but really because goalie’s are so unpredictable. You can put him as yes too because of the position.
Thoughts @Kiwi and @SeaOfBlue on the ranking? too high or too low? Do you guys think Scott becomes something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad