Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
We've added a lot of high risk high reward types to the organization on the backend in recent times, Duzcak, Hollowell and Hoefenmeyer are all point producers but defensively questionable

It's an interesting strategy, there must be some belief within the organization that we can teach some of these boys how to defend, which will help them as they try to progress through the organization and professional hockey

I'm going to enjoy watching them and seeing how this develops
I like that this organization focuses on skill. Most of them won't pan out, but if you hit on any of them, the potential upside is nice. It's not like Dubas only focuses on offense, Robertson and Kokkonen can help you on both sides of the puck. I really believe Kokkonen will be a solid player in the future.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I like that this organization focuses on skill. Most of them won't pan out, but if you hit on any of them, the potential upside is nice. It's not like Dubas only focuses on offense, Robertson and Kokkonen can help you on both sides of the puck. I really believe Kokkonen will be a solid player in the future.
As well as Koster. He was praised a lot for shutting down the top dogs on team Canada (including Lafreniere) at the U18

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
As well as Koster. He was praised a lot for shutting down the top dogs on team Canada (including Lafreniere) at the U18

It's interesting, we've drafted a lot of defenseman I'd describe as 2-way players, or developed them into 2-way players but we've brought in high risk offense first UFA'S as prospects to develop (it's not a huge sample but we do seem to have a "type")

It may come down to what's available at the time but I do wonder if there's an organizational philosophy that's coming to bare in this

One thing about it, it's going to make watching the prospect thread and games pretty enjoyable

Reactions: stickty111

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Our AHL signing from last season (Justin Brazeau) had a really impressive year in the ECHL as a rookie this season. 55 points in 57 games (27 goals). Hopefully we see the progression through the Marlies next year.

Would be nice to see Hoefenmayer hit on a similar trajectory next year whether he's with the Marlies or Growlers. Would be huge for this team to hit on an undrafted UFA the way Boston has hit on guys like Krug.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I've seen a lot of chatter about Hoefenmayer in the past.

Should we be excited? Why did Arizona not sign him?
His skating is pretty terrible as well as is his defense. I do like this signing but there is work to be done.

Worst case he likely ends up like a TJ Brennan type. His offense will always carry him. Hopefully he can correct a few things but there is no risk here.

We have the advantage of offering guys like him and Brazeau the same amount of cash on an AHL deal (about $60,000 per year) as he would make on an ELC with one less year of term and way more options (player can sign an ELC with another team still). Nice to see us finally using our monetary advantage in little ways like this the last few seasons.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
We've added a lot of high risk high reward types to the organization on the backend in recent times, Duzcak, Hollowell and Hoefenmeyer are all point producers but defensively questionable

It's an interesting strategy, there must be some belief within the organization that we can teach some of these boys how to defend, which will help them as they try to progress through the organization and professional hockey

I'm going to enjoy watching them and seeing how this develops

It's always easier to teach guys better positioning or ways to be better defensively than teach them to be better skaters or be more skilled.

A guy like Kapanen is a good example of an offense only guy that was told he wouldn't have that type of role in the NHL so he better figure out another way. Started playing the PK, worked on his defense, and has found a way to contribute on both sides of the puck.

Last edited:

Todd03

May 28, 2016
I'm hoping the leafs keep signing undrafted players to contracts.
Prospect pool is getting really thin. They are at least four players the
leafs should sign Joe Carroll, Pavel Rotenberg, Oliver Larsen, Marc
Antonie Pepin. And hopefully more.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I'm hoping the leafs keep signing undrafted players to contracts.
Prospect pool is getting really thin. They are at least four players the
leafs should sign Joe Carroll, Pavel Rotenberg, Oliver Larsen, Marc
Antonie Pepin. And hopefully more.
Pepin would have been a good late pick and was a nice invite last year. None of these players are worth it right now, and I suspect none of them, expect maybe Pepin, ever will be.

Reactions: Saint Blue

DevinH2004

Nov 29, 2009
All these Marlies signing have me wondering if there is a site to track AHL and ECHL signings. Would be kind of cool if there was a site like Capfriendly but for the lower leagues.

Anyone know if there is a source to track these signings and see who is currently signed for next year on both the Marlies and Growlers?

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
I keep track of Marlies signings here. Seriously, somebody generally seems to post links to Leaf related signings here, usually in this thread.

And thanks to all who take this on!

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
All these Marlies signing have me wondering if there is a site to track AHL and ECHL signings. Would be kind of cool if there was a site like Capfriendly but for the lower leagues.

Anyone know if there is a source to track these signings and see who is currently signed for next year on both the Marlies and Growlers?

Eliteprospects

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Have James Hamblin or Brett Neumann signed anywhere yet? Both guys would be good adds as well imo.

Cedric Pare had a good year as well but he played with Lafrenieres.

40BayStreet

Feb 3, 2011
Toronto
Leafs/Marlies have signed the NCAA’s, Colgate Raiders, Captain Bobby McMann according to The Hockey News. He’s a bigger Centre, 6’1, prospect.

Reactions: Menzinger

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Have James Hamblin or Brett Neumann signed anywhere yet? Both guys would be good adds as well imo.

Cedric Pare had a good year as well but he played with Lafrenieres.

None of them have signed anywhere yet. I think the Leafs will target Hamblin. They liked him in camp enough to bring him to their rookie tournament, even though he suffered an injury in development camp. He would be a great addition to the Growlers.

I would bring back Riley Woods, Brady Ferguson, Marcus Powers, Zach O'Brien, Garrett Wilson, Hudson Elynuik, Scott Pooley, Parker Gahagen, Trenton Bourque and Michael Kapla on AHL deals if they are interested in returning. Additionally, I would sign Hamblin, Neumann, RD Matthew Spencer (former TBL 2nd round pick), and RD Philip Beaulieu to AHL deals for the Growlers.

LW Marcus Powers - C Brady Ferguson - RW Zach O'Brien
LW Riley Woods - C Colt Conrad - RW Gordie Green
LW James Hamblin - C Brett Neumann - RW Jeremy McKenna
C Bobby McMann + ECHL Depth Guys

*RFA's the would need to be re-signed.

LD Michael Kapla - RD Philip Beaulieu
LD Noel Hoefenmayer - RD Matthew Spencer
LD Trenton Bourque - RD James Melindy**
LD Garrett Johnston** - RD Evan Neugold**
LD Tommy Panico**

G Ian Scott - G Parker Gahagen

That means the Leafs/Marlies do not re-sign Tyler Gaudet, Matt Lorito, Max Verroneau, Matt Bradley, Miles Gendron, Giorgio Estephan, Trey Bradley, Kevin Gravel, Matt Read, Tanner MacMaster, Rich Clune, Miikka Salomaki and Kasimir Kaskisuo. The Marlies would need some new additions in areas which should not be addressed by AHL signings.

Leafs/Marlies have signed the NCAA’s, Colgate Raiders, Captain Bobby McMann according to The Hockey News. He’s a bigger Centre, 6’1, prospect.

Old news. Happened last week.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
None of them have signed anywhere yet. I think the Leafs will target Hamblin. They liked him in camp enough to bring him to their rookie tournament, even though he suffered an injury in development camp. He would be a great addition to the Growlers.

I would bring back Riley Woods, Brady Ferguson, Marcus Powers, Zach O'Brien, Garrett Wilson, Hudson Elynuik, Scott Pooley, Parker Gahagen, Trenton Bourque and Michael Kapla on AHL deals if they are interested in returning. Additionally, I would sign Hamblin, Neumann, RD Matthew Spencer (former TBL 2nd round pick), and RD Philip Beaulieu to AHL deals for the Growlers.

LD Tommy Panico**

That means the Leafs/Marlies do not re-sign Tyler Gaudet, Matt Lorito, Max Verroneau, Matt Bradley, Miles Gendron, Giorgio Estephan, Trey Bradley, Kevin Gravel, Matt Read, Tanner MacMaster, Rich Clune, Miikka Salomaki and Kasimir Kaskisuo. The Marlies would need some new additions in areas which should not be addressed by AHL signings.

What are your thoughts on how the Marlies will look and who they will potentially target?

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

LD Tommy Panico**

Your missing Sapego on defence

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
What are your thoughts on how the Marlies will look and who they will potentially target?

LW Kenny Agostino - C Adam Brooks* - RW Jeremy Bracco*
LW Nic Petan - C ??? - RW ???
LW ??? - C Kalle Kossila - RW Pontus Aberg*
LW ??? - C Semyon Der-Arguchintsev - RW Justin Brazeau
LW Garrett Wilson - C Hudson Elynuik - RW Scott Pooley

LD Calle Rosen - RD Jesper Lindgren
LD Teemu Kivihalme* - RD ???
LD Filip Kral - RD Joseph Duszak
LD Kristians Rubins - RD Mac Hollowell

G ??? - G Joseph Woll

Potential Options:
1RW (if Bracco is gone): Seth Griffith, Austin Czarnik, Beau Bennett, Matt Lorito
2RW: Stefan Noesen, Linus Sandin, Johnny Walker, Riley Barber, Tomas Jurco
2C: Sam Carrick, Byron Froese, Nick Shore
3LW: Alex Limoges, Ryan Lomberg, Matt Puempel, Daniel Carr
4LW: Riley Stotts
2LD: Teemu Kivihalme, Ryan Shea, Kevin Connauton, Joakim Ryan, Damir Sharipyzanov
2RD: Matt Irwin, Joshua Maniscalco, Cody Goloubef, Alex Petrovic, Michael Stone, Christian Folin
1G: Laurent Brossoit, Louis Domingue, Alex Lyon, Kasimir Kaskisuo, Timur Bilyayov, Alexei Krasikov (the latter three if they are willing to play in the AHL next year).

Todd03

May 28, 2016
Nic Petan is the most useless player out they and has to go. And Kosrhkov
has to be one of the teams top 6 players with Dustin.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Nic Petan is the most useless player out they and has to go. And Kosrhkov
has to be one of the teams top 6 players with Dustin.

So useless that he still had the second best PPG totals in the entire AHL (for anyone over 5 games) last year despite playing on a disfunctional team most of the time?

If he is gone, it is because someone claimed him off waivers or he requested a trade and we granted it to give him a shot at the NHL somewhere else. I doubt the Marlies are going to oust a guy who works hard and can put up amazing offensive numbers for no reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad