Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

This could indicate he will not be signed.

He is deserving of a contract, but there are a lot of young defenseman at the AHL level right now (potentially Liljegren back, Lindgren, Hollowell, Duszak, Rubins, any additional NCAA/Euro signings).

The ECHL probably isn't appealing with Pro offers in Europe on the table.

Would his rights extend with us at all?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

This could indicate he will not be signed.

He is deserving of a contract, but there are a lot of young defenseman at the AHL level right now (potentially Liljegren back, Lindgren, Hollowell, Duszak, Rubins, any additional NCAA/Euro signings).

The ECHL probably isn't appealing with Pro offers in Europe on the table.

I mean if contract spots are not an issue, we could sign him and then loan him to the Czech league for a year instead of having him in the ECHL. At this point it is probably the same level of competition (maybe even a little bit better) and since he has played in NA for 3 years already, I would not worry about the adjustment to the AHL as much.

Reactions: Duke16

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
Scott Powers has an looong article in The Athletic on former Boston Bruins amateur scout and U.S National team development program director and current Chicago Steel and USHL GM of the year, Ryan Hardy.

He has some controversial views on hockey that well shouldn't be controversial and touches on some really cool thoughts on the draft and prospects. He goes into reasons scouts can't actually get the guys they really want cause they wanna keep their jobs and don't wanna reach too far away from rankings as year after year guys go early that shouldn't and teams find later round guys passed over even though scouts believe they are the better pick. Scouts don't wanna look like idiots in scouting meetings.

Also touches on is drafting players past their first year of eligibility. He points out Krug as a big one and how scouts would like him more but choose the first year eligible players and talks about Abbruzzese as another example. Just cause they're older they're biologically younger than first year eligible players. He thinks the hockey world gets too caught up in birth years.

Really good article that touches on development too and how overly conservative the sport is.

Good read for those interested!

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Marlies just signed two players out of the NCAA. Gordie Green (Miami Ohio) and Bobby McMann (Colgate). Both were Captains of their team this season.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Marlies just signed two players out of the NCAA. Gordie Green (Miami Ohio) and Bobby McMann (Colgate). Both were Captains of their team this season.

Green was a guy I expected to get an AHL deal. McMann was not. Both should be ECHL depth. McMann could spell the end of Matt Bradley in the organization.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Green was a guy I expected to get an AHL deal. McMann was not. Both should be ECHL depth. McMann could spell the end of Matt Bradley in the organization.
In the sense that you expected McMann to get an ELC or in the sense that you don't think he's even good enough for the AHL deal?

I personally know nothing of either player.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
In the sense that you expected McMann to get an ELC or in the sense that you don't think he's even good enough for the AHL deal?

I personally know nothing of either player.

The latter. Even if he was great defensively, his production given his age (he will be 24 this year) does not suggest he has a ton of upside. Given he received a 2 year deal, as did Green, they will likely be called up a few times over the course of the season, but I doubt they secure anything more than that this year unless they come out hot in the ECHL.

I like Green though. He is small but he has been a consistent point producer and he is a year younger than McMann. He could be good AHL depth relatively soon.

For the ECHL, both should be fine additions to Colt Conrad, who is in his second year of his 2 year deal and needs more ECHL time. The Marlies still need a ton of proper depth additions, since many guys' contracts expired and a good number of them probably need to be upgraded.

Reactions: LeafChief

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Hoefenmayer is a name i've seen mentioned on here a few times.

Puts up big points a defensemen. One of the best in the CHL. However defensively is questionable. He is exactly the type of guy I thought the Marlies would bring in as a prospect to compete with Kral, and to otherwise be a quality depth and a project for our team.

McKenna is another quality forward project for the Growlers.

Reactions: stickty111

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
I've seen a lot of chatter about Hoefenmayer in the past.

Should we be excited? Why did Arizona not sign him?
Pretty exciting signing IMO, similar to Brazeau last year.

Hoefenmayer was the best overager defenseman in the CHL this season leading all three leagues in points as a D. Local guy from North York. He has a lot of skills that will translate well, like his stretch pass/breakout ability and insane shot (could see him scoring 10+ per year in pro).

I don't have enough viewings to breakdown his D game, but its clear he's behind in that area. My question would be if its his brain, or if there are teachable areas.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Wow, we didn’t have to waste a roster spot on hoefenmeyer? What a steal! I know it’s premature but i like the risk/reward on this move.

We've added a lot of high risk high reward types to the organization on the backend in recent times, Duzcak, Hollowell and Hoefenmeyer are all point producers but defensively questionable

It's an interesting strategy, there must be some belief within the organization that we can teach some of these boys how to defend, which will help them as they try to progress through the organization and professional hockey

I'm going to enjoy watching them and seeing how this develops

Reactions: stickty111

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
A way off topic story: I am learning Spanish online using a programme called Duolingo, especially during this shutdown. The app has a variety of forms of questions, one of which is to give a sentence in Spanish, either spoken or written, and then to ask you to type in the English translation. The autofill function on my iPad is turned off most of the time but comes back on when typing the answers to this kind of question.

The odd thing is that when I come to a word which begins with the letters “b” and “r”, the autofill consistently wants to complete the word as “Bracco.” So, if I do not pay close attention, I end up with sentences like,”I Bracco my teeth after dinner,” or “I like my Bracco coat.”

Well, not very relevant or interesting, I admit, but then, we don’t have that much real hockey news to discuss, do we.

Reactions: Lauro
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->