Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I'm interested in the defence. Assuming both Sandin and Lilly makes the Leafs, then it could be a young defence again.

Lindgren(he needs to be on the top pair. He has shown he ready for an increased role. All though not sure Moore likes him too much)
I think both Hollowell and Duszak are full time members. Hollowell still has time on his side but Duszak needs a big year with the Marlies. Not sure of the plans with Kivihalme. Kral plays a factor if signed. They might add a veteran defenceman too. All though things change if unexpectedly even one of Sandin and Lilly go back to the Marlies.

I am on the fence with Kral. I would definitely sign him, but they may end up doing the same thing as they did with Hollowell: Send him to the ECHL and make him the primary call up if the Marlies need a defenseman.

Rosen-Lindgren
Kivihalme/UFA Vet*-Duszak
UFA Prospect**-Hollowell
Rubins-Maniscalco/UFA Vet
---
Kral-UFA Vet (AHL contract)
UFA Vet (AHL contract)-UFA Prospect (AHL contract)
ECHLer-ECHLer
ECHLer-ECHLer

*The Marlies are going to want two very capable LD in the top 4 next year, so if Kivihalme can not be trusted, I think he is non-tendered. Based on what I saw last year, I do not think he's good nor consistent enough to be a top 4 LD on the caliber of team the Marlies want to be.
**Damir Sharipzyanov, Matt Kiersted, Vojtech Budik, and Brinson Pasichnuk are the top LD prospects out there IMO. Although Sharipzynaov and Budik are from the KHL and Czech leagues respectively, they both have 3 years of OHL experience and Sharipzyanov also has a year in the AHL/ECHL. Sharipzyanov is already 24 however, so he may be a better fit to replace Kivihalme in the top 4 spot instead.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

If Abruzzese decides to leave Harvard, it would be a huge mistake on his part.

I would hope the Leafs are encouraging him to stay.

Yes, he had a great year. If he has another one, then sure, maybe turning pro is a good idea, but even then, let him finish his schooling, and then turn pro.

But drafting players out of the NCAA is beneficial where you have 4 years of control. No sense in rushing the kid.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I would hope the Leafs are encouraging him to stay.

Yes, he had a great year. If he has another one, then sure, maybe turning pro is a good idea, but even then, let him finish his schooling, and then turn pro.

But drafting players out of the NCAA is beneficial where you have 4 years of control. No sense in rushing the kid.
After 3 years the are basically free agents though.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
After 3 years the are basically free agents though.

I'd still rather take a small chance of him walking (seems unlikely though, were a very attractive organization to remain a part of) to keep him on the correct development path

I'd like to see him stay in the NCAA another year, then leave if he's ready to fight for a place on the team

Reactions: stickty111

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I'd still rather take a small chance of him walking (seems unlikely though, were a very attractive organization to remain a part of) to keep him on the correct development path

I'd like to see him stay in the NCAA another year, then leave if he's ready to fight for a place on the team
Yeah, I have no issues with him going back next season. But you have to weigh the possibility that he may want to play elsewhere, and not signing him before his senior season is handing him the keys to becoming a free agent.

Reactions: Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Yeah, I have no issues with him going back next season. But you have to weigh the possibility that he may want to play elsewhere, and not signing him before his senior season is handing him the keys to becoming a free agent.

Yeah, I'd prefer he didn't leave but if your looking at opportunity and organization quality there isn't much better to be a part of in the NHL than the Leafs

Reactions: kb

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Nick Robertson, Egor Korshkov among Leafs prospects who boosted stock this season - TSN.ca

Here is what Button said about Liljegren today in Kristen's article.

Button’s take
“I think there’s been a significant maturity in Liljegren’s understanding of what his game is. He seemed to be a player that was forcing things offensively, and lots of mistakes were happening. But he’s balanced out and understands that what he was at 16, he’s not going to be now. And what he’s going to be in the NHL is going to have to be a really good two-way defenceman.
I don’t think he’s going to be a big offensive producer but he’s an excellent skater and he’s going to be able to get the puck and beat pressure. He’s going to be able to get the puck out of your zone, and he’s going to be able to join the attack and support the attack. When we talk about maturity for Liljegren, it’s him understanding, ‘This is what I can do now.’ I think he’s really found a level of play and a style of play that suits his game that will allow him to have success in the NHL. I’ve been really impressed.”

As some of you know, Button has been a harsh critic of him since he was drafred. The fact he is praising him shows the immense growth Lilly has displayed, and for anyone who likes to make up things that Lilly didn't improve this season.

Button clearly loves Robertson and hard to argue with him. He pretty much called him a star prospect.
His comparable for Abruzzese is Bozak with more fiestiness.
He's a big fan of Abramov. Says he can do everything. Pass, score, kill penalties.
SDA learned to go on the inside more this season and that was the biggest step he took. Interestingly his comparable was Barzal because he had the same issues as SDA, but thinks he could be a lesser version of Tyler Johnston which I would take everyday.
Korshkov's comparable is Clifford which I don't agree with. Clifford is more of the typical 4th liner. Tough and physical. Korshkov is a big body with offensive ability.

Last edited:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Nick Robertson, Egor Korshkov among Leafs prospects who boosted stock this season - TSN.ca

Button’s take
“I think there’s been a significant maturity in Liljegren’s understanding of what his game is. He seemed to be a player that was forcing things offensively, and lots of mistakes were happening. But he’s balanced out and understands that what he was at 16, he’s not going to be now. And what he’s going to be in the NHL is going to have to be a really good two-way defenceman.
I don’t think he’s going to be a big offensive producer but he’s an excellent skater and he’s going to be able to get the puck and beat pressure. He’s going to be able to get the puck out of your zone, and he’s going to be able to join the attack and support the attack. When we talk about maturity for Liljegren, it’s him understanding, ‘This is what I can do now.’ I think he’s really found a level of play and a style of play that suits his game that will allow him to have success in the NHL. I’ve been really impressed.”

As some of you know, Button has been a harsh critic of him since he was drafred. The fact he is praising him shows the immense growth Lilly has displayed, and for anyone who likes to make up things that Lilly didn't improve this season.

Button clearly loves Robertson and hard to argue with him. He pretty much called him a star prospect.
He's a big fan of Abramov. Says he can do everything. Pass, score, kill penalties.
SDA learned to go on the inside more this season and that was the biggest step he took. Interestingly his comparable was Barzal because he had the same issues as SDA, but thinks he could be a lesser version of Tyler Johnston which I would take everyday.
Korshkov's comparable is Clifford which I don't agree with. Clifford is more of the typical 4th liner. Tough and physical. Korshkov is a big body with offensive ability.
Pretty much agreed with what he said and like his comparable. Beside Robertson, I really don’t see any of our prospects being superstar level players at this point.
Players do improve and maybe Korshkov is Clifford with more offense today but his improvement might make him into Lucic in his prime by next year.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Button’s take

I don't know how good Clifford was offensively and defensively in his prime, but Korshkov has more offensive and defensive upside than what Clifford has shown at any times I have seen him play the past few years.

Reactions: stickty111

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Pretty much agreed with what he said and like his comparable. Beside Robertson, I really don’t see any of our prospects being superstar level players at this point.
Players do improve and maybe Korshkov is Clifford with more offense today but his improvement might make him into Lucic in his prime by next year.
I might have a different criteria for prospects. To me Sandin is still a prospect too. I believe we have 3 bluechip prospects in our system. Sandin, Lilly and Robertson.

I don't know how good Clifford was offensively and defensively in his prime, but Korshkov has more offensive and defensive upside than what Clifford has shown at any times I have seen him play the past few years.
I can only speak of recently. I don't know how regarded Clifford was offensively when he was younger.

Reactions: aingefan

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I'd be interested to see our prospect rankings now, here's my list, I'm considering the two D as prospects still due to having payed less than 40 NHL games.

1. Sandin
  2. Roberston
  3. Liljegren
  4. Korshkov
  5. SDA
  6. Bracco
  7. Abramov
  8. Abruzzese
  9. Woll
  10. Scott
  11. Brooks
  12. Hollowell
  13. Lindgren
  14. Stotts
  15. Koster
  16. Kara
  17. Rasanen
  18. Duszak
  19. Kral
  20. Holmberg
  21. Loponen
  22. Greenway
  23. Bouthillier
Can't comment well enough on the rest.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
He should definitely go back to school. If not for one, maybe two years. Develop slowly. He's a late bloomer.

He's already junior aged though. It's not like Zegras who signing just after draft+1 year. Abruzzese was initially eligible 3 drafts ago. The way it's going I think 1 more year is probably the max but I wouldn't be surprised if he turns pro. He's almost 21 already. A year or 2 in the AHL and he's already 23 before making the NHL. That's already a late bloomer.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
He's already junior aged though. It's not like Zegras who signing just after draft+1 year. Abruzzese was initially eligible 3 drafts ago. The way it's going I think 1 more year is probably the max but I wouldn't be surprised if he turns pro. He's almost 21 already. A year or 2 in the AHL and he's already 23 before making the NHL. That's already a late bloomer.
Sure but from his perspective it's hard to turn down a degree from Harvard, especially considering he is not a lock to make the NHL.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Leafs to sign Barabanov, as per reports out of Russia.

Hopefully Okulov/Bilyalov follow.

We don't need Bilyalov anymore, unless he wants to be in the AHL. We don't need forwards either, which makes this a little bit confusing unless we have a mass exodus of forwards.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Say what?

Lucic in his prime was a 30/30/60 guy who could and did beat the f*** out of anyone and everyone.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
He's pretty "meh" isn't he? I've had limited viewings but he hasn't impressed me much. Seems like little more than AHL depth.
AHL depth, i'd imagine. Barabanov reminds me stylistically of Timashov and I think his impact will be comparable. Nice to recoup a similar asset (for free) after losing Tima on waivers earlier in the year, if the rumour is true.

We don't need Bilyalov anymore, unless he wants to be in the AHL. We don't need forwards either, which makes this a little bit confusing unless we have a mass exodus of forwards.
Well the idea would be Bilyalov starts with the Marlies. No NHL team is going to hand a 5'10" mystery box with zero NHL experience a permanent role.

Considering Kaskisuo is set to become a Group 6 UFA this summer due to not accruing enough NHL games at the age of 25 or older, and that Woll just went 30+ games with an .880sv%, I think the Marlies could use a stable veteran option with pro upside. Bilyalov then becomes the next immediate call-up if Campbell/Andersen get injured.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
AHL depth, i'd imagine. Barabanov reminds me stylistically of Timashov and I think his impact will be comparable. Nice to recoup a similar asset (for free) after losing Tima on waivers earlier in the year, if the rumour is true.

Well the idea would be Bilyalov starts with the Marlies. No NHL team is going to hand a 5'10" mystery box with zero NHL experience a permanent role.

Considering Kaskisuo is set to become a Group 6 UFA this summer due to not accruing enough NHL games at the age of 25 or older, and that Woll just went 30+ games with an .880sv%, I think the Marlies could use a stable veteran option with pro upside. Bilyalov then becomes the next immediate call-up if Campbell/Andersen get injured.

Maybe not, but there are teams which can give him a legit shot to win a job right away... And considering how good he has been in the KHL, even playing on teams that were subpar (like Riga), I can see teams giving him that shot. We are not one of those teams anymore.

Otherwise, there is nothing stopping him from staying in the KHL for another year and waiting for that opportunity to present itself.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Maybe not, but there are teams which can give him a legit shot to win a job right away... And considering how good he has been in the KHL, even playing on teams that were subpar (like Riga), I can see teams giving him that shot. We are not one of those teams anymore.

Otherwise, there is nothing stopping him from staying in the KHL for another year and waiting for that opportunity to present itself.
Go for Alexei Melnichuk instead.

Reactions: Saint Blue

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Go for Alexei Melnichuk instead.

I know his numbers look impressive, but it's not hard to be a good goalie behind that team. I think the lowest save percentage for any goalie with a decent same size was like a .915 in the past 10 years. Most goalies put up in the .925-.940 range consistently.

I'd prefer to see how he does with more playing time. We need someone with more proven ability than ~20 KHL games as our #3.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario

This could indicate he will not be signed.

He is deserving of a contract, but there are a lot of young defenseman at the AHL level right now (potentially Liljegren back, Lindgren, Hollowell, Duszak, Rubins, any additional NCAA/Euro signings).

The ECHL probably isn't appealing with Pro offers in Europe on the table.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

This could indicate he will not be signed.

He is deserving of a contract, but there are a lot of young defenseman at the AHL level right now (potentially Liljegren back, Lindgren, Hollowell, Duszak, Rubins, any additional NCAA/Euro signings).

The ECHL probably isn't appealing with Pro offers in Europe on the table.

f***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad