Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Marlies playing some bad hockey with 52 shots allowed. Only 18 SOG last Sunday against the Crunch. For those who watched both games, what's happening? I am seeing a similar smoke and mirror show in Edmonton and we are loving the points but waiting for some players to start really stepping up before reality sets in. How is the rink being tilted against them? They seem like a pretty deep club but the goalies are working pretty hard.

Forward quality isn't the best right now... Not sure about how poorly the defense is doing. But they are still good enough to make it work with what they've got, because it's still a well above average group overall. Just been badly outshot recently.

The Marlies are missing three top 9 forwards right now, including two guys who are likely going to be considered the two top 6 centers this year (Brooks and Kossila). Marchment is the other one. Things started going south a bit since Brooks' injury; Kossila and Marchment have been hurt all year.

This is just scratching the surface. Adding Shore, Kossila, Marchment and Brooks back to this group is going to be deadly for other teams.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Forward quality isn't the best right now... Not sure about how poorly the defense is doing. But they are still good enough to make it work with what they've got, because it's still a well above average group overall. Just been badly outshot recently.

The Marlies are missing three top 9 forwards right now, including two guys who are likely going to be considered the two top 6 centers this year (Brooks and Kossila). Marchment is the other one. Things started going south a bit since Brooks' injury; Kossila and Marchment have been hurt all year.

This is just scratching the surface. Adding Shore, Kossila, Marchment and Brooks back to this group is going to be deadly for other teams.
Keefe said post game that he liked a lot of their play today, but said the neutral zone play needs to be worked on.
Thats pretty much what I saw as well. Despite the high shots total, they weren't all that bad. They were better defensively then they were in the 1st 2 periods yesterday. It seems to me they ran out of steam near the end.
It's a credit to the coach and the team for keeping in it despite injuries, and not playing their best yet.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Another goal for Kral. His 5th of the season.
If he is PPG or at least close to it this season, I'm giving him an ELC.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC

Honestly, they just need Brooks back, and the forwards will be set:

Agostino-Petan-Bracco
Korshkov-Brooks-Aberg
Wilson-Engvall-Archibald

That will be a nice top 9.

Reactions: stickty111

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Honestly, they just need Brooks back, and the forwards will be set:

Agostino-Petan-Bracco
Korshkov-Brooks-Aberg
Wilson-Engvall-Archibald

That will be a nice top 9.
It gives you everything. The all skill in Bracco, Petan, Aberg. The 2 way presence in Agostino, Brooks and Engvall. Plus the size in Wilson and Archibald and Korshkov. There is also guys like Kossila and Marchment who could play top 9 especially Kossila.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I like his game in the offensive zone more than either of those 2, being a realistic threat from far out opens up a lot of ice for his line.

Johnsson is no slouch, at the same age he was leading SHL rookies in scoring. And what he loses on one-shot scoring threat from distance he makes up for in better net front play.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Man Robertson can really shoot the puck

A hybrid of Johnsson and Trevor Moore would be a nice outcome for him
If you get that out of a pick in the 50 range you should be very happy. To be honest, getting any top 9 forward after the 15th overall pick or so it should be viewed as a success.

Reactions: 54thecup and 7even

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Johnsson is no slouch, at the same age he was leading SHL rookies in scoring. And what he loses on one-shot scoring threat from distance he makes up for in better net front play.

At the same age, Johnsson wasn't drafted... ;)

Reactions: JustAShadow

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Johnsson was drafted in his first eligible draft. Just an accident of birth date. Robertson was a few days from missing the 2019 draft. Robertson looks like he'd probably be a 1st rounder in the 2020 draft.

Reactions: Menzinger

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
The Leafs have 2 prospects in the top 15 of OHL scoring; Nick Robertson and SDA. I'm really excited about Robertson who appears to be a legit blue chip prospect. His shot is Nylander like but with more accuracy. The only prospect with a higher G/GP is Connor McMichael

2019‑2020 OHL Scoring Leaders

Last edited:

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
At the same age, Johnsson wasn't drafted... ;)

Age and year of eligibility are the same for me. I don't know how effective parsing prospects by less than 12 months difference in development actually is. Every draft has a youngest player and I don't know if their rate of success is any higher than what you would expect relative to draft position.

Reactions: biotk and nuck

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
So a lot of people are saying Robertson would be a top10 pick in 2020 (if he was born a week later he wouldn't have been in the 2019 draft)

So with this in mind I'm comparing Robertson to the top10 OHL forwards projected in 2020. So according to NHL.com,

Cole Perfetti (projected to go 5th OA): 5.10", 180lbs - 5g24a(29pts)
Nick Robertson: 5.09", 162lbs - 17g9a(26pts) (edit: this does not include the 2 goals from today)

Now obviously it is still very early in the season (and all I'm doing is comparing stats) so depending where Perfetti is drafted I would probably take Robertson before him

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
So a lot of people are saying Robertson would be a top10 pick in 2020 (if he was born a week later he wouldn't have been in the 2019 draft)

So with this in mind I'm comparing Robertson to the top10 OHL forwards projected in 2020. So according to NHL.com,

Cole Perfetti (projected to go 5th OA): 5.10", 180lbs - 5g24a(29pts)
Nick Robertson: 5.09", 162lbs - 17g9a(26pts) (edit: this does not include the 2 goals from today)

Now obviously it is still very early in the season (and all I'm doing is comparing stats) so depending where Perfetti is drafted I would probably take Robertson before him

Perfetti gets over half of his points on the PP as well (4G, 11A for 15 points). He'd be on a top PP in the NHL as well, but Nick Robertson only has 9 points from PP (6G, 3A for 9 points) after today's game.

Including today's game, he has one less point than Perfetti in one less game. Robertson is 3.5 months older than Perfetti.

The one thing about Saginaw is that Perfetti pretty much drives that offense. Perfetti's line have three 20+ point players (Coskey - 23 points; Giroux - 21 points) and D+2 undrafted defenseman Ilya Solovyov has 21 points in 15 games since he is the primary PP QB on that powerplay. After those 4 their next group is essentially their 2nd line and 2nd PP, only putting up around 10 points a piece. Their bottom 6 doesn't produce a whole lot, so teams essentially can stack their defenses against Perfetti's line.

Peterborough is not significantly deeper, but they've got a bit more than Saginaw right now.

Reactions: Kiwi

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
How many more games at Robertson’s current production rate would be needed to be considered a top prospect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad