Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects Thread - Who ordered a taxi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
The fact that Sandin is getting run as PP1 ahead of the playoffs tells me he is not only a part of next years team, but a massive player for this years playoffs too.

He was on PP1 for one game when we sat our PP1. I would not exactly call that a ringing endorsement.

Offensively he is ready for the NHL. Defensively, he still has a lot further to go than Liljegren. If I am giving a spot, especially a defensive spot, to a prospect, Liljegren wins every time. And I am not sure how comfortable the Leafs feel about having two rookies in a championship-competing lineup (which is what we will have next year) at the same time, even if they are Liljegren and Sandin.

Reactions: stickty111

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
It’ll come down to what signings are available in the offseason. But it’s likely his waiver exemption keeps him in the A to start and then comes up later on injuries permitting.

He’ll have to be far and away better than, say, a bogosian-quality player, to convince management to forego a high quality depth body to have him on the roster.

I dunno, I think you make plans for him to stay on your roster and safeguard yourself against any potential injuries with a quality #7 that can jump between the AHL and be serviceable in the NHL.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
He was on PP1 for one game when we sat our PP1. I would not exactly call that a ringing endorsement.

Offensively he is ready for the NHL. Defensively, he still has a lot further to go than Liljegren. If I am giving a spot, especially a defensive spot, to a prospect, Liljegren wins every time. And I am not sure how comfortable the Leafs feel about having two rookies in a championship-competing lineup (which is what we will have next year) at the same time, even if they are Liljegren and Sandin.

I understand what you are saying, and yet they aren't pure rookies in a regular sense. Sandin has played for three years professionally since being drafted, and Liljegren four, at the end of this year. We've groomed them in the AHL, they've practised with the taxi squad, and played NHL games. Sandin already has 36 games under his belt, half a season, and Liljegren just 13. Liljegren has 38 SHL games and 141 AHL games.

These aren't raw rookies, they've both played over 100 professional games, Liljegren closer to 200.

I hope that we make them part of our roster top 7 D... bring in a capable number 7, in case there are we need backup.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I dunno, I think you make plans for him to stay on your roster and safeguard yourself against any potential injuries with a quality #7 that can jump between the AHL and be serviceable in the NHL.

We already have those, it’s called the Marlies (e.g., Marincin). If you have an opportunity to sign waiver-eligible defensemen that are too good to clear waivers for cheap, this management group is going to do that. That will be in addition to having a marlies squad of defensemen. Just like they did this year, and the previous year, etc...

We’re not going to only sign bad UFA defensemen that will easily clear waivers just because Sandin is good. We’ll sign good UFA defensemen to make our squad as good as possible, and Sandin needs to be good enough that Leafs determine it’s better to lose that depth piece and have Sandin on the NHL squad right away, instead of delay his arrival until we can afford to ice a 21 man game day roster.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I understand what you are saying, and yet they aren't pure rookies in a regular sense. Sandin has played for three years professionally since being drafted, and Liljegren four, at the end of this year. We've groomed them in the AHL, they've practised with the taxi squad, and played NHL games. Sandin already has 36 games under his belt, half a season, and Liljegren just 13. Liljegren has 38 SHL games and 141 AHL games.

These aren't raw rookies, they've both played over 100 professional games, Liljegren closer to 200.

I hope that we make them part of our roster top 7 D... bring in a capable number 7, in case there are we need backup.

They are NHL rookies though, and that is the part that really matters in this case.

I don't see him in the top 6 unless we are moving out Dermott or Holl through trade or expansion, and even then I can see them bringing back a guy like Bogosian to fill the empty spot over Sandin.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
They are NHL rookies though, and that is the part that really matters in this case.

I don't see him in the top 6 unless we are moving out Dermott or Holl through trade or expansion, and even then I can see them bringing back a guy like Bogosian to fill the empty spot over Sandin.

You know what is great though? That we have two quality D prospects, that force this conversation to even happen.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
He does not look like a wall so far

Beat 5 hole... Again. Only made 3 saves before the first one goes in.

It was a breakaway and another disasterous defensive effort from the Hoefenmayer-Hollowell pairing but that was a weak wrist shot from an ECHLer that should have never gone in regardless.

Reactions: meng666

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
The Marlies game is on TSN if anyone is interested in watching. Slow start by Freddy 2-0 Moose already under 10 mins into the game

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
The Marlies game is on TSN if anyone is interested in watching. Slow start by Freddy 2-0 Moose already under 10 mins into the game
TSN 2? Don't get it but watching on Leafs TV.
Wish TSN or Rogers would regularly broadcast AHL games instead of Women's soccer or what have you...

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
2-0 now.

In fairness though, the Marlies look like the worst hockey team of all time in front of him. Puck is lava.

That is how the defense has been playing in front of our goalies all year. That is why I am saying you should take any goalie's save percentage with a grain of salt. They are a lot better than those save percentages indicate.

Our other goalies have given up goals like that too. The thing is that Andersen is supposed to be an NHL starter and everyone else we've used are not. He should have been able to save at least one, if not both, of those goals. Even Woll hasn't had too many stretches like that this year.

Reactions: stickty111
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad