Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects Thread - Who ordered a taxi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Looks like Woll is getting warm in the intermission. I doubt they yank Andersen but he's played like he should be.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I understand sending freddy down for sure, but anyone who ahs watched any Marlie action this year knows that it was likely never going to be a good showing. I was hoping he'd be busy and come out strong, but playing in front of this Marlies team has got to be a goalies worst nightmare. I really hope Freddy's confidence doesn't take a beating here, although I imagine he's already f***ed lol

Reactions: Chief keefe

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
I missed that.

Well good riddance either way. I know it is important to get Andersen prepped but I would rather see Woll in net again.
4-3 Manitoba now Woll let in two already. Marlie’s are trash... Robertson scored though.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I understand sending freddy down for sure, but anyone who ahs watched any Marlie action this year knows that it was likely never going to be a good showing. I was hoping he'd be busy and come out strong, but playing in front of this Marlies team has got to be a goalies worst nightmare. I really hope Freddy's confidence doesn't take a beating here, although I imagine he's already f***ed lol

The defense is not great but he still should have saved at least one of those goals. Just like on the Leafs, he couldn't make anything more than routine saves and even then he made them look harder than necessary.

He hasn't played in a while but he looks the exact same as he did on the Leafs... Except he is now in the AHL which is an even worse look for him. I don't see how he will be ready in time to contribute anything for the Leafs unless Campbell totally sucks or gets hurt.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
The defense is not great but he still should have saved at least one of those goals. Just like on the Leafs, he couldn't make anything more than routine saves and even then he made them look harder than necessary.

He hasn't played in a while but he looks the exact same as he did on the Leafs... Except he is now in the AHL which is an even worse look for him. I don't see how he will be ready in time to contribute anything for the Leafs unless Campbell totally sucks or gets hurt.
Ya it's really hard to disagree with anything you said there. Has not had the ability to make anything but routine saves for a while now. And the 1 or 2 saves that show any sort of high skill are usually offset by a soft or debatable goal against. Has come to be the norm for Fred for sure. I was really hoping to see the Freddy of old, which we may still see. My point was that it's his first game action in a while, and despite the league, it is still a very hard thing to come back to. I still have a slight glimmer of hope that Freddy can return to form in the post season because I do have doubts with Jack being able to sustain that high level of tending that you need throughout a cup run. A strong "ride the hot hand" tandem would be our best bet. So like it or not, we are really going to need Fred to step up sooner rather than later

kerk

Apr 27, 2009
kokkonen seems to be a lot more offensively inclined than i expected him to be. he didn't push play this much at the world juniors.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Holmberg with another point yesterday, but in a game 3 loss. They still lead the finals 2-1. He has 10 points in 12 games which is tied for the lead in playoff scoring. He's also tied in the lead for even strength scoring. In relation to even strength, he has played 2 less minutes TOI then the player he is tied with. He's also the youngest player in both categories by a significant range.
What a performance he has put on.

If you ask scouts, there isn't a whole lot of flash, but as is typical with Dubas picks, his IQ is really strong.

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
Holmberg with another point yesterday, but in a game 3 loss. They still lead the finals 2-1. He has 10 points in 12 games which is tied for the lead in playoff scoring. He's also tied in the lead for even strength scoring. In relation to even strength, he has played 2 less minutes TOI then the player he is tied with. He's also the youngest player in both categories by a significant range.
What a performance he has put on.

If you ask scouts, there isn't a whole lot of flash, but as is typical with Dubas picks, his IQ is really strong.
Does he play Centre, and might he be an option for 3C next year?

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
Has Woll shown any progress this year?
Scott - disappeard?
Seems we can't develop a goalie as an organization at all.
Every other teams seems to find these guys in late rounds or from Europe, and all our attempts to do the same turn to dust.
Is it drafting or our development of goalies? Both?

Reactions: supermann_98

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Scott - disappeard?
Every other teams seems to find these guys in late rounds or from Europe, and all our attempts to do the same turn to dust.
And the guy selected one spot after Scott? Jeremy Swayman, who’s rocking a .946 sv% through almost 10GP with Boston as a 22 year old. Will be one of the best young goalies in this league moving forward.

Scott was loaned to Wichita in the ECHL. Likely best for his development after missing so much time due to injury.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Scott - disappeard?

Scott is in the ECHL to get some reps. There are not too many games left in the AHL and it seems like they will split them between Vehvilainen and Woll, which makes sense.

I think Woll has made decent progress this year. His positioning and rebound control is much better. He still has some bad games and gives up bad goals. So who knows, and I don't think we will ever know with the team in front of him. He can cheat to cover his defense and get burned because he cheated, or he can not cheat but then his defense makes a boneheaded play or can't even handle basic positioning and boxouts so he gets burned because he was not overcompensating to make up for them.

In the end, fix the coaching and fix the defense. Then we will see how a goalie does. We should be drafting a goalie this year regardless of how Scott and Woll have been doing but we are not developing anything with that defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad