Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects Thread - Who ordered a taxi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Nice pass by Robertson. No reaction by him though which might tell where the mental level is to play for this team under this clueless coach.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
If Habs fans watched this Marlies games now they know what it was like when Price was at his best and he stole games from us.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Woll just stole the Marlies 2 points today. 57 saves.

Boosted his save percentage from .878 to .895.

EDIT: This team is a joke and should not be happy with this win. Laval should have scored 10 goals today.
I can't evaluate this team until a different coach. It's not a great roster but nowhere close to worst in the league.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I can't evaluate this team until a different coach. It's not a great roster but nowhere close to worst in the league.

The offense is more than fine. The goaltending (Woll/Vehvilainen) would be fine too with a solid defense. The defense is a bit of a mess that needs more defensively capable guys but hardly anything that should prevent us from being a playoff team. We probably won't win a Cup without a few key upgrades or guys outperforming what they've shown to this point but we aren't even getting close to what they should be bringing on a regular basis.

Gilman will probably try harder to fix the roster in a proper season. This year was a year to try out the AHL contracts and some other guys since winning did not matter. However Moore has proven he not only can't enhance the roster, but also actively stifles it with whatever he is doing.

Reactions: stickty111

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Justin Woll ladies and gentlemen. The guy sets a Marlies save record and this is what he gets. :facepalm::facepalm:

upload_2021-5-4_22-44-55.png

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
Some horrible speculation that i’ve been harboring for some time:

I think the reason jack han stepped down from marlies assistant coach role was because he knew ryan moore was going to be a trainwreck. I thought it was weird that jack han suddenly stepped down from his role with the marlies. He was moving up the ranks in he marlies organization extremely quickly and for him not to be sour about the leafs is kind of odd. Also, he’s never mentioned the current marlies coach or gilman by name, but i believe has praised sheldon keefe.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Some horrible speculation that i’ve been harboring for some time:

I think the reason jack han stepped down from marlies assistant coach role was because he knew ryan moore was going to be a trainwreck. I thought it was weird that jack han suddenly stepped down from his role with the marlies. He was moving up the ranks in he marlies organization extremely quickly and for him not to be sour about the leafs is kind of odd. Also, he’s never mentioned the current marlies coach or gilman by name, but i believe has praised sheldon keefe.
It's certainly possible. There was a real chance he could have been an assistant coach with the big coach pretty soon. Yes Han has consistently praised Keefe.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Pretty happy for Woll. He needed a big game, and that was a ridiculously good one.
One of he or Scott emerging is probably the most impactful development on that team for the Leafs, after the top three.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
That Marlies game was fun, Suomela looks like a nice AHL player, Woll was fantastic.

Outside of Rosen and Kivalhalme Marlies are brutal at D. Marincin should be below them on the depth chart honestly.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
That Marlies game was fun, Suomela looks like a nice AHL player, Woll was fantastic.

Outside of Rosen and Kivalhalme Marlies are brutal at D. Marincin should be below them on the depth chart honestly.

Marincin is easily the best defenseman (at defending at least) on that roster right now. Kivihalme is not good defensively and Rosen is solid but should hardly be a guy who babysits some of the subpar defensive players that exist on the Marlies defense right now. Marincin is literally the only guy who the Leafs should be comfortable putting Hollowell, Duszak, Kivihalme, and Hoefenmayer with and not having to heavily shelter the pairing. Rosen can probably handle playing with guys like Kral and Kokkonen because they are at least decent defensively.

Reactions: uncleben

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
Do you have Sandin back with the Marlies next season and Lily up with the big club?

Personally I think Brooks is to Keefe what Hyman was to Babs. Could be wrong though. When I watch Brooks all I see is a Greg McKegg/Sam Carrick.

And have you seen enough of Rubins that you think that the team will cut bait with him?
Chiming in here to say Sandin all day!

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Do you have Sandin back with the Marlies next season and Lily up with the big club?

Personally I think Brooks is to Keefe what Hyman was to Babs. Could be wrong though. When I watch Brooks all I see is a Greg McKegg/Sam Carrick.

And have you seen enough of Rubins that you think that the team will cut bait with him?

I don't think Brooks is quite in that range yet, and while I think he competes with a guy like Kirill Semyonov for an NHL job, I think he ends up as the Marlies 1C and a primary call up next year. He may end up in a full time role at some point, but I don't think he earns a full time job. I think people have to expect a similar regression as what happened with Travis Boyd eventually. I ultimately see him as a AAAA guy like McKegg and Carrick as well, and while I think he could ultimately fill in for ~30 games if we ever need him, I don't think he is a guy you put in your opening night top 12 by choice. We will see if he can exceed that potential.

For Sandin, I think he at least starts in the AHL and then maybe gets in later on in the year. However, it really depends on expansion. I think if a spot goes to a young guy, Liljegren gets first dibs because he is a RD and I think he is more capable of filling a defensive role (which is like the spot opening up with Bogosian either becoming a #7 or moving on) than Sandin at this point. However if the Leafs end up moving Dermott (or he is taken in expansion), then you can probably replace Sandin with some UFA depth defenseman on the AHL roster and likely see Sandin on the bottom pairing.

With Rubins it is mostly just a numbers game, similar to Kivihalme (who I have us trading as well). He does not possess a noticeable offensive game and his defensive game is far too raw at his age to make up for it (he just turned 23). I like him as a depth option, much like he was last year, but we have Kral in that spot who should be given the main reps plus Hoefenmayer, McCourt, and possibly Sapego right behind Kral on the depth chart. All three are 1+ years younger than him and have more offensive upside at the very least.

If we are running with Duszak and Hollowell at RD, we need better defensive guys than Rubins and Kivihalme in our top 4 as LD (especially since those guys will also be the primary NHL call ups) so they are on the outside looking in. I have the Leafs having Sandin and Marincin as their main LD depth and our #7 defenseman (Bogosian or some other UFA) and the new top pairing RD AHL veteran as our main RD depth for the Leafs. Hollowell is given a sink or swim year on the 2nd pairing with arguably the best partner he is ever going to get in the AHL (Marincin). If he sucks again, I would non-tender him and turn to Rindell, Niemela, and Villeneuve (which may happen anyways). Kral-Duszak is a high offensive upside pairing which may need to be sheltered defensively depending on how well they develop their defensive games. There is some upside in that pairing and both could surprise and rise up the ranks. Duszak's defensive game took the leaps I expected Hollowell to take and Kral already had a fairly solid game and knows how to work with guys like Duszak (he often played with Ty Smith in Spokane).

daethfromabove1979

Jun 20, 2006
For Sandin, I think he at least starts in the AHL and then maybe gets in later on in the year. However, it really depends on expansion. I think if a spot goes to a young guy, Liljegren gets first dibs because he is a RD and I think he is more capable of filling a defensive role (which is like the spot opening up with Bogosian either becoming a #7 or moving on) than Sandin at this point. However if the Leafs end up moving Dermott (or he is taken in expansion), then you can probably replace Sandin with some UFA depth defenseman on the AHL roster and likely see Sandin on the bottom pairing.

Sandin should never play another game for the Marlies, he's clearly ready for the NHL.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Sandin should never play another game for the Marlies, he's clearly ready for the NHL.

It’ll come down to what signings are available in the offseason. But it’s likely his waiver exemption keeps him in the A to start and then comes up later on injuries permitting.

He’ll have to be far and away better than, say, a bogosian-quality player, to convince management to forego a high quality depth body to have him on the roster.

Reactions: hockeynorth

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007

The fact that Sandin is getting run as PP1 ahead of the playoffs tells me he is not only a part of next years team, but a massive player for this years playoffs too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad