Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects Thread - It's finally puckdrop, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Galchenyuk looks so big and skilled. That guy really blew his career.

I don't think he really blew his career. Was just part of franchises that didn't really develop prospects well and now he's with some of the best so hopefully we get the best of him because he's produced pretty well in the NHL for someone who didn't get developed properly imo so that's gotta count for something.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
There's no way Dubas was actually dumb enough to trade Robertson right?

For the right price anyone is fair game and at this point Nick is just a prospect. I just don't think the Leafs at 1st overall have some hole to file that should cost their top prospect. This summer, after a poor playoff result and the X draft maybe but it just doesn't seem realistic that anything big could happen today.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
You can really tell a Marlies lineup without Liljegren and Robertson are seriously lacking talent and skill.

agreed, I have been a bit surprised we don't have a more impressive B roster or whatever you want to call it (Taxi Squad-less Marlies).

Given all the ECHL work and general willingness to spend at that level.

Reactions: Atomos2

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
agreed, I have been a bit surprised we don't have a more impressive B roster or whatever you want to call it (Taxi Squad-less Marlies).

Given all the ECHL work and general willingness to spend at that level.

I was hoping to see Giorgio Estephan play consitently on the Marlies this year possibly but we didn't bring him back. He was very good for the Growlers and always stood out when I watched the Growlers play.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Keep: Robertson
Trade Amirov

This was a lot tougher than I originally thought it would be. I've been very high on robertson since he was drafted. Love what he brings, and I love his passion to get better. I am concerned with his on the puck strength. He looks like a teenager playing with men, which is obviously a valid excuse, but when you see other players his size and age playing stronger on the puck it makes me wonder if its not just strength. That said, still love the player, and I have a hard time believing he will not be a good NHL player soon
Who else is his age/size playing stronger on the puck in a comparable league?

Hoglander, for instance, is nearly 20lbs heavier than Nick and almost a year older despite being from the same draft class. Robertson needs to gain lean mass without sacrificing too much speed, but it's a slow process that takes more than 1 summer naturally. Ideally, he eventually reaches the 180lb range where guys like Hoglander, Gallagher, etc. are sitting at 5'9". I'm just not sure if he has the genetics to be that stocky while maintaining high-end speed, but we'll see. Right now you can tell his lower body strength is lacking and it's limiting his ability to battle/recruit power against men.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
I don't think he really blew his career. Was just part of franchises that didn't really develop prospects well and now he's with some of the best so hopefully we get the best of him because he's produced pretty well in the NHL for someone who didn't get developed properly imo so that's gotta count for something.

He blew his career by actively ignoring repeated attempts in multiple organizations to repair his bad skating habits. As he has aged his bad habits have caught up with him.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Getting stronger on their skates is something every young player can improve and do improve. It might be the number 1 reason a great forward prospect isn't ready to flourish at the highest levels at 18.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
A 6-5 record with Tyler Gaudet, not even an AHL scorer type, leading you in scoring is fortunate. BTW, give the man another NHL deal.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I am concerned with his on the puck strength. He looks like a teenager playing with men, which is obviously a valid excuse, but when you see other players his size and age playing stronger on the puck it makes me wonder if its not just strength.

Who else is his age/size playing stronger on the puck in a comparable league?

Chinakhov was one example from WJC 2021. Russia had a few gritty work horses there (Podkolzin another, not a size comparable though) and Amirov was not one of them. Ponomaryov is a size/age comparable and I think he stood out as being strong on the puck and in the corners, strong forecheck, etc... but I can't remember 100%.

It's just not his style though. Amirov played more of a Nylander-style game at WJC than a Hyman-style game, whether it be by natural play style or role. He gained possession by reaching his stick into board battles. Not by separating players from the puck with his body or by being first to the puck in the corners. This is common if you're the transition guy, you want to be available for the outlet pass to exit the zone and carry the puck through the neutral zone. He was also very tentative in attacking the puck carrier, at least in the defensive zone, which is often just an artifact of the team playing more of a style of defence where you collapse in the middle.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
One of the better players for sure. I wouldn't say he's been great, but he's clearly got a step on most of his teammates in terms of ability.
Thanks.
What can you share about his style and impact? Forecheck? Offensive creativity? Shot? Defensive awareness? Physicality? Skating? Compete?
Anything additional would be great.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
Thanks.
What can you share about his style and impact? Forecheck? Offensive creativity? Shot? Defensive awareness? Physicality? Skating? Compete?
Anything additional would be great.

Anderson's compete is off the charts, so you will see everything that comes with that (forecheck, backcheck, skating, general hustle but he's not overly physical).

He won't be a player that dazzles you offensively but he does have a good shot and is solid positionally. I haven't seen much of a playmaker in him, more of a shooter/mucker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad