Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects Thread - It's finally puckdrop, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
A 6-5 record with Tyler Gaudet, not even an AHL scorer type, leading you in scoring is fortunate. BTW, give the man another NHL deal.

I thought Gaudet looked really good at last year's training camp too. It's tough to not overrate Marlies in their late 20s I think, but he's always been a standout even if last years Marlies season was pedestrian

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Anderson's compete is off the charts, so you will see everything that comes with that (forecheck, backcheck, skating, general hustle but he's not overly physical).

He won't be a player that dazzles you offensively but he does have a good shot and is solid positionally. I haven't seen much of a playmaker in him, more of a shooter/mucker
this is almost to a T my assessment of joey as well. I had no idea on the player prior to him coming to Toronto. We were told Hyman 2.0, which is a huge boot to fill. I see a ton of compete, and actually pleasantly surprised by his shot. He has some finish. Was not expecting that. Other than that he is as meat and potatoes as you get. I think his game will translate well to the NHL IMO, because he is a player with high adaptability. Obviously the dream would be Hyman, but it took a while for Zach to become the player he is now. His success did not come by luck, or by attrition. He worked his absolute bag off to become the player he is now. At the current moment, I see a lot of the same qualities in Joey's game, it will really just come down to how hard he wants to work to get to that next level like Hym's did

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Who else is his age/size playing stronger on the puck in a comparable league?

Hoglander, for instance, is nearly 20lbs heavier than Nick and almost a year older despite being from the same draft class. Robertson needs to gain lean mass without sacrificing too much speed, but it's a slow process that takes more than 1 summer naturally. Ideally, he eventually reaches the 180lb range where guys like Hoglander, Gallagher, etc. are sitting at 5'9". I'm just not sure if he has the genetics to be that stocky while maintaining high-end speed, but we'll see. Right now you can tell his lower body strength is lacking and it's limiting his ability to battle/recruit power against men.
I think Hoglander is a great example of what I'd like to see from Nick eventually when it comes to on the puck strength. Of course Nils is 10 months older and has had the luxury of playing against men for the last 3 seasons, so he likely has a better idea on how to use every lb/inch he has to his advantage. But Nils is actually pretty strong on his wheels. Wins alot of 50/50 battles he shouldn't and has found a way to play with the deck he was given. I think you are misinterpreting what my assessment is of Nick. His strength will undoubtingly get better. He will put on body mass, and will be heavier on the puck. My concerns at this point is how he takes contact along the boards as he is working a cycle. He has gotten better each passing game with the Marlies in this regard, but there are still far too many times he loses puck battles where he has clear position on the defenders. At this point, he has shown he is relatively easy to push off the puck IMO. He is extremely elusive and can gain space with a cut back here or there, and often makes phenomenal plays doing just that. My worry is that it is not just strength that is causing him to lose puck battles.I've mentioned it before on here that I think he has very awkward body positioning when shielding the puck, almost hunched over. And as a result, even the smallest of pushes result in him losing an edge or puck possession. I used Mitch as a prime example of an "undersized" player who still has the ability to manage that contact, because his skating stance in puck battles is more upright. He leans into contact, versus braces for contact. I am extremely high on Nick, and this is really the only flaw I see that would hold him back from being an impactful player in the NHL at the current moment. I fully expect him to get better in this regard, but its the only thing holding him back from the NHL at this moment

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Anderson's compete is off the charts, so you will see everything that comes with that (forecheck, backcheck, skating, general hustle but he's not overly physical).

He won't be a player that dazzles you offensively but he does have a good shot and is solid positionally. I haven't seen much of a playmaker in him, more of a shooter/mucker
So right now he's AHL Zach Hyman

I like this kid

Reactions: GBLeaf

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
this is almost to a T my assessment of joey as well. I had no idea on the player prior to him coming to Toronto. We were told Hyman 2.0, which is a huge boot to fill. I see a ton of compete, and actually pleasantly surprised by his shot. He has some finish. Was not expecting that. Other than that he is as meat and potatoes as you get. I think his game will translate well to the NHL IMO, because he is a player with high adaptability. Obviously the dream would be Hyman, but it took a while for Zach to become the player he is now. His success did not come by luck, or by attrition. He worked his absolute bag off to become the player he is now. At the current moment, I see a lot of the same qualities in Joey's game, it will really just come down to how hard he wants to work to get to that next level like Hym's did
And Hyman’s evolved. He tried plays now that he’d never try a few years ago.
That’s the intrigue to me about Anderson, that floor and the possibility to add.
He seems like a smart and hardworking kid, and has leadership qualities.
Suggests he’ll do what helps, and try to add more helpful qualities.

Reactions: Twine Tickler

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014

Yeah too all those things. NHL Bottom 6 for sure, but you need those players too.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
The more we learn about Hyman the crazier it seems to compare any prospect to him. Just unfair to the prospect to give people that kind of idea.

If you are looking for a Leafs relation think closer to a Connor Brown. Still a hefty comparable, but at least its not putting Hyman-type ideas into people's heads :laugh:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
we don't have many options at the moment unfortunately. hopefully campbell can get healthy ASAP so woll can go back down.

We are icing an ECHL/SPHL goalie. Angus Redmond is now there, who was a better ECHL goalie, and we could have also given Kai Edmonds a game or two. Either way, there is absolutely no excuse for starting this guy for 11 straight games, especially when he has a sub .900 save percentage, is tiny, is like in his late 20's, and has terrible technique. There is no upside with him right now.

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
We are icing an ECHL/SPHL goalie. Angus Redmond is now there, who was a better ECHL goalie, and we could have also given Kai Edmonds a game or two. Either way, there is absolutely no excuse for starting this guy for 11 straight games, especially when he has a sub .900 save percentage, is tiny, is like in his late 20's, and has terrible technique. There is no upside with him right now.
D'Agostini has done an admiral job filling in but yeah - why are you stating him 12 games in 20 days/on b2b etc.?!
Moore is a bit of a dufus for that.

Reactions: stickty111
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad