Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects Thread - It's finally puckdrop, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
Rubins was looking legit last game. Galchenyuk was dangerous - he's nice insurance to have in case of injuries. I dunno - Robertson is putting points up but needs some seasoning, IMO - too bad he can't stay in AHL as it would be a perfect fit for now....

Reactions: Super Mega

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Rubins was looking legit last game. Galchenyuk was dangerous - he's nice insurance to have in case of injuries. I dunno - Robertson is putting points up but needs some seasoning, IMO - too bad he can't stay in AHL as it would be a perfect fit for now....

What are the chances the OHL resumes play at this point? We're into March already and I'm sure they would want a season completed by August.

Seems like we might catch a break with Robertson in the AHL for this year, and then next year he's eligible for the Marlies (though he may be ready for the Leafs).

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
What are the chances the OHL resumes play at this point? We're into March already and I'm sure they would want a season completed by August.

Seems like we might catch a break with Robertson in the AHL for this year, and then next year he's eligible for the Marlies (though he may be ready for the Leafs).

I've heard multiple times they are going to start up at some point, "unfortunately".

A lot has to do with the draft.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I've heard multiple times they are going to start up at some point, "unfortunately".

A lot has to do with the draft.

It seems like that will be in April, but Ontario is all over the place so who really knows.

The AHL is the best place for him right now.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Was he just a UFA AHL signing?

2 year AHL deal. Hoefenmayer should be available soon too, but I would give McCourt opportunities before him. Hoefenmayer has already played some ECHL games and I think he would benefit from a pure skill program right now. There are things to like, but some time tightening up his game away from game action would be the best thing for him right now.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

There wasn't much room for him anyways. If the Leafs are serious about getting McCourt and Hoefenmayer some reps, then we could have Kral moved to RD to play with them (similar to what he did with Ty Smith in Spokane).

Sandin/Kivihalme - UFA
Rubins - Duszak
McCourt - Kral
Hoefenmayer - AHL veteran

I see Hollowell included in a rental deal at the TDL. One wildcard move could be for the Leafs to bring in Greenway or Rasanen as 9th/10th defenseman and work on their games similar to what Hoefenmayer is going to be doing this year. Don't give them many games, at least in the AHL, but get them on a development program in Toronto and let them see if they can develop their IQ. Otherwise, we will likely just toss them in a depth trade like we did with Dzierkals and Korshkov.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Time for a little game. Meant for fun. Though knowing this place, I'm sure it'l start a fight. If so. Oops.

With the deadline coming up and the team in clearly a win-now (or win in the next few years) mode as buyers, prospects will likely need to be sacrificed in deals.

Let's play this prospect or that prospect. Again, this has no bearing on who will or won't be traded. And forget the return coming back, pretend the deal is more than fair either way. If you had to keep one and trade the other, who would it be and why? I don't think there are any wrong answers here and I think there are arguments for either side. I'll start.

Nick Robertson vs. Rodion Amirov

Clearly the two crown jewels of our forward prospects. Obviously, would rather and hope to keep both. But if one had to go? I think Amirov has the higher upside as a more complete player. But of course, we have seen Robertson contribute fairly well, albeit a small sample size, in pro hockey. With a win now mode, it is easier to look to the player who is more NHL ready. I'm very pro-Amirov, I was clearly on his side in the Schneider debates, which is one reason why I see Robertson prevailing in this one a lot for other posters.

Keep: Robertson
Trade Amirov

Timothy Liljegren vs. Rasmus Sandin

Couldn't play this game without this one coming up. Keep it civil. While I like both, for this purpose, I've flipflopped back and forth. I like what both bring. This may come down to need for me. So it's keep the RHD, right? For many years, yes. But I think this may have finally changed. Brodie and Holl are signed for a bit, arguably our 3rd best D prospect is also a RHD and in the past 4 drafts, we've actually drafted far more RHD than LHD. Add in a potential loss of Rielly to UFA, Dermott to expansion and a potential Muzzin regression, I think the need has changed. Again, I hate to pick between these two, hopefully we don't have to, and I find my reasoning quite simple, but for this purpose:

Keep: Sandin
Trade: Liljegren

Filip Hallander + Roni Hirvonen vs. Topi Niemela + Mikhail Abramov

I had trouble pitting one vs. the other here, so I figured a team would make sense for this tier of prospect. In this foursome, while I like all 4, I prefer Hallander and Niemela. I decided separating them would be more interesting for me at least, but feel it would be for others as well. I think Hallander and Niemela fill needs that would help long-term, while Hirvonen and Abramov might just have the higher upside. I hate to go with recency bias, but I will. And in saying that, Hirvonen would have a strong case for recency bias. But:

Keep: Niemela + Abramov
Trade: Hallander + Hirvonen

Well that was fun. Your turn!

Reactions: Smif and Captain34

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Here are the playoff series for our prospects, and their stats in the series and entire playoffs. I will add the other leagues when their playoffs start.
Updated March 5th

Games today

Game 2: Bars Kazan wins 4-1
Bars Kazan leads 2-0
Game 2: Salavat wins 3-2 in OT
Series tied 1-1

KHL

1st Round: Bars Kazan(1) vs Nizhny(8)
Best of 7
Bars Kazan leads 2-0
SDA (Nizhny)
Series:
GP 2 Goals Assists Points SOG 2 TOI 13:28
Playoffs:
GP 2 Goals Assists Points SOG 2 TOI 13:28
Regular season:
GP 17 Goals 2 Assists 4 Points 6 SOG 29 TOI 14:34

1st Round: Salavat(4) vs Tractor(5)
Best of 7
Series tied 1-1
Rodion Amirov (Salavat)
Series:
GP 2 Goals Assists Points SOG 4 TOI 13:57
Playoffs:
GP 2 Goals Assists Points SOG 4 TOI 13:57
Regular season:
GP 39 Goals 9 Assists 4 Points 13 SOG 73 TOI 13:54

Notes
Didn't update yesterday, but Artur's VHL team was eliminated. His MHL team's playoffs is starting soon

Reactions: Roadhog

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Time for a little game. Meant for fun. Though knowing this place, I'm sure it'l start a fight. If so. Oops.

With the deadline coming up and the team in clearly a win-now (or win in the next few years) mode as buyers, prospects will likely need to be sacrificed in deals.

Let's play this prospect or that prospect. Again, this has no bearing on who will or won't be traded. And forget the return coming back, pretend the deal is more than fair either way. If you had to keep one and trade the other, who would it be and why? I don't think there are any wrong answers here and I think there are arguments for either side. I'll start.

Clearly the two crown jewels of our forward prospects. Obviously, would rather and hope to keep both. But if one had to go? I think Amirov has the higher upside as a more complete player. But of course, we have seen Robertson contribute fairly well, albeit a small sample size, in pro hockey. With a win now mode, it is easier to look to the player who is more NHL ready. I'm very pro-Amirov, I was clearly on his side in the Schneider debates, which is one reason why I see Robertson prevailing in this one a lot for other posters.

Trade Amirov

Couldn't play this game without this one coming up. Keep it civil. While I like both, for this purpose, I've flipflopped back and forth. I like what both bring. This may come down to need for me. So it's keep the RHD, right? For many years, yes. But I think this may have finally changed. Brodie and Holl are signed for a bit, arguably our 3rd best D prospect is also a RHD and in the past 4 drafts, we've actually drafted far more RHD than LHD. Add in a potential loss of Rielly to UFA, Dermott to expansion and a potential Muzzin regression, I think the need has changed. Again, I hate to pick between these two, hopefully we don't have to, and I find my reasoning quite simple, but for this purpose:

I had trouble pitting one vs. the other here, so I figured a team would make sense for this tier of prospect. In this foursome, while I like all 4, I prefer Hallander and Niemela. I decided separating them would be more interesting for me at least, but feel it would be for others as well. I think Hallander and Niemela fill needs that would help long-term, while Hirvonen and Abramov might just have the higher upside. I hate to go with recency bias, but I will. And in saying that, Hirvonen would have a strong case for recency bias. But:

Trade Amirov

This was a lot tougher than I originally thought it would be. I've been very high on robertson since he was drafted. Love what he brings, and I love his passion to get better. I am concerned with his on the puck strength. He looks like a teenager playing with men, which is obviously a valid excuse, but when you see other players his size and age playing stronger on the puck it makes me wonder if its not just strength. That said, still love the player, and I have a hard time believing he will not be a good NHL player soon

Sandin has higher ceiling, but Timmy has the higher floor IMO. I'll go with the higher variance player in Sandin, because he has the stuff to be a legit #1 NHL Defensmen. And when I say higher variance, I still think Sandy's floor is NHL, just maybe not as high as Timmy's. Timmy looks like a lock for a long NHL career in the top 4. Maybe higher.

My two favourite players in this lot are the 2 finns. Not overly sold on abramov as an NHL'er. He really only makes the show if he can put up top 6 points. Which is a hard thing to do. Niemela is the best of the bunch in my mind, looked outstanding at the WJC. Hallander and Hirvonen have middle 6 ceiling's but they are higher liklihood's to make it. This one is a toss up. So I decided to go with the pairing with the best player (topi)

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Trade Amirov

Keep Robertson, Trade Amirov. Amirov has nice upside for a Russian, but I am not confident that he becomes a core player. I think Robertson can become almost as good as Nylander if he reaches his potential, which means he could be a core player.

Keep Liljegren. I like Sandin, but I think Liljegren is better and he is a right shot. Plus I think it'll be easier to find LD to replace Sandin than a RD to replace Liljegren, even with Villeneuve and Niemela in the system.

Keep Abramov + Niemela over Hallander and Hirvonen. Hirvonen and Abramov are toss ups, but Niemela has a lot more to offer than Hallander.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Joe Thornton and Jason Spezza might need a breather. Anyone in particular you'd like to see get a few minutes on the big club?

Just put in Boyd and Barabanov. Or give one a break and then give the other a break later.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Ovchinnikov's season has ended in Russia. He likely needs more development time in Russia but I'd love to see the Marlies sign him to an ATO so he can come over for a few months and use the Marlies training/staff facilities while also getting in some AHL games.

Same for Amirov once his season ends.

Reactions: Lil Tuzzi Bert

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Ovchinnikov's season has ended in Russia. He likely needs more development time in Russia but I'd love to see the Marlies sign him to an ATO so he can come over for a few months and use the Marlies training/staff facilities while also getting in some AHL games.

Same for Amirov once his season ends.
God i'd love to see them play a bit for the Marlies. The season ends mid May, so if they were to take the next bird over here they could get a couple months in + playoffs after they are done quarantining. I can see Ovchinikov not coming, just because the AHL is a massive step up from the MHL i'd assume. But Amirov would be really cool, especially if they can sign him to an ELC afterwards an have him play next year for the Marlies as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad