Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects Thread - It's finally puckdrop, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
D'Agostini has done an admiral job filling in but yeah - why are you stating him 12 games in 20 days/on b2b etc.?!
Moore is a bit of a dufus for that.

He's had good games, but he is clearly out his depth in the AHL. Maybe he can be a decent fill-in backup, but he's not a goalie you play on a playoff team in the AHL and certainly not a guy you use like Moore is using right now. Our team is actually fairly good, but our coaching is atrocious.

Reactions: stickty111

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
The more we learn about Hyman the crazier it seems to compare any prospect to him. Just unfair to the prospect to give people that kind of idea.

If you are looking for a Leafs relation think closer to a Connor Brown. Still a hefty comparable, but at least its not putting Hyman-type ideas into people's heads :laugh:
That’s actually a really good comparison and more realistic

Reactions: Morgs

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
He's had good games, but he is clearly out his depth in the AHL. Maybe he can be a decent fill-in backup, but he's not a goalie you play on a playoff team in the AHL and certainly not a guy you use like Moore is using right now. Our team is actually fairly good, but our coaching is atrocious.

But isn't that more on Gilman and to a lesser extent Dubas? Scott is nowhere to be found and Woll was clearly in over his head with the Marlies last season. I don't think you roll Edmonds out on a playoff team either. The organization had nobody of any pedigree to start for their top minor league team this year and it seems like they made no effort to shop. I don't think Moore had much choice in who he had this year, he doesn't bring in the talent. And who has the club actually got in their system? Who are they trying to develop or is it reasonable to assume they are still comfortable with Scott and Woll as solid NHL prospects? Are you comfortable with them as the club's future?

How much would a Bilyalov have cost to bring in and what was the risk? It feels like they didn't think the Marlies needed anyone better than who we are seeing right now. It also seems like they might be looking at relying on other systems to provide their Leafs net talent which is fine, but thats no reason to ignore their own system.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
But isn't that more on Gilman and to a lesser extent Dubas? Scott is nowhere to be found and Woll was clearly in over his head with the Marlies last season. I don't think you roll Edmonds out on a playoff team either. The organization had nobody of any pedigree to start for their top minor league team this year and it seems like they made no effort to shop. I don't think Moore had much choice in who he had this year, he doesn't bring in the talent. And who has the club actually got in their system? Who are they trying to develop or is it reasonable to assume they are still comfortable with Scott and Woll as solid NHL prospects? Are you comfortable with them as the club's future?

How much would a Bilyalov have cost to bring in and what was the risk? It feels like they didn't think the Marlies needed anyone better than who we are seeing right now. It also seems like they might be looking at relying on other systems to provide their Leafs net talent which is fine, but thats no reason to ignore their own system.
Hutchinson was our Marlies starter, then we lost Dell, then both our other goalies got hurt, then Scott got hurt, and then Woll had to get called up, so now we're into our 7th choice

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

If you have no better choices, at least don't overplay one guy to exhaustion.

daethfromabove1979

Jun 20, 2006
It’s sad to follow the Marlies right now, especially with the injuries to Sandin and Robertson, there’s barely any legit NHL prospects on the team. There’s Joey Anderson who I like, then I realistically don’t see an NHL future from anyone else.

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
I dunno...with some work on quieting his game, D'Agastini could probably play in the AHL. He's looked really good at times, tbh.
12 starts in 20 days for a goalie new to the league is just stupid decision making by coach.

Reactions: cookie

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Rourke Chartier's bet on himself is now paying off – The Athletic

As an assistant coach for the AHL’s San Jose Barracuda, Ryan Mougenel always knew Rourke Chartier had good vision.

“One of the smartest players we had in San Jose,” said Mougenel of Chartier, who spent three seasons with the Barracuda in the San Jose Sharks system. “He sees plays ahead of what they are.”

But unlike other players, Chartier, now a 24-year-old centre with the Toronto Marlies, was forced to rely on some foresight to protect his health.

When Chartier suited up for the Marlies in their season opener on Feb. 15, he wasn’t just returning after an extended break due to the COVID-19 pandemic. He was playing his first game in nearly two calendar years following a series of devastating concussions that had forced him to make one of the most difficult, but rewarding decisions of his career. Chartier bet that he could return to pro hockey. Now, with the Marlies, his bet is paying off. And with only seven forwards currently signed for the Leafs for next season, Chartier’s defensively sound game could make him a low-risk, depth option for the club moving forward.

“I want to prove I can play again,” said Chartier. “I don’t think I’ve been healthy since my first year of pro.”

Throughout his childhood, Chartier was inspired by the work ethic of his parents, teachers who worked summers to make ends meet for their five children.

“Anything I did, they expected the maximum effort,” he said.

He was not surprised when the Sharks failed to extend him a qualifying offer in the summer of 2019.

He received multiple offers from other clubs, including one from the Maple Leafs, but he decided to decline them all and walk away from hockey for as long as it would take in order to feel right.

“I’d gotten sick of playing like that,” said Chartier. “I wouldn’t have been in the right headspace to recover from this.”

Absent a contract, he believed he would finally feel free of pressure. He returned home to Saskatoon so he could rest and could put all of his focus on ridding himself of the anxiety that was plaguing him and returning to full health.

Early in 2020, the rest started paying off. Chartier could go days without headaches and began skating with the WHL’s Saskatoon Blades to get back into game shape.

In February, he contemplated a return to professional hockey. But in March, the AHL and NHL stopped playing due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Chartier believes the cancelled seasons might have been “the best thing for me.” It gave his recovery even more time.

“I knew it had to be done right,” he said.

In October he signed a one-year AHL contract with the Marlies.

“They’re willing to be decently patient with me,” he said. “They’re big on development, and that’s a big reason why I chose to come here. They just get the most out of players.”

Chartier’s hope is to utilize Marlies’ development staff to become an even more reliable, two-way player who can hopefully tap into the offensive skills he displayed during his junior career.

So far this season, he’s put up four assists in 10 games while playing top-six minutes. The Marlies see a player not taking anything for granted.

“He really, really cares about his craft, his nutrition, his workouts, his details on the ice,” said Marlies head coach Greg Moore. “The whole group have discussed just how much they value having him on this team.”

Now fully healthy, Chartier’s goal remains to become a full-time NHL player. But he’s learned not to rush things.

“At the end of the day, I’d like to get back to the NHL,” he said. “But it’s one day at a time.”

Reactions: Lauro and uncleben

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Not sure what the logistics of the QMJHL season are but any chance Abramov's season ends in time to get him some Marlies games?

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Here are the playoff series for our prospects, and their stats in the series and entire playoffs. I will add the other leagues when their playoffs start.
Updated March 7th

Games today

Game 3: Bars Kazan wins 4-0
Bars Kazan leads 3-0
Game 3: Salavat wins 4-0
Salavat leads 2-1

KHL

1st Round: Bars Kazan(1) vs Nizhny(8)
Best of 7
Bars Kazan leads 3-0
SDA (Nizhny)
Series:
GP 3 Goals Assists Points SOG 3 TOI 13:27
Playoffs:
Regular season:
GP 17 Goals 2 Assists 4 Points 6 SOG 29 TOI 14:34

1st Round: Salavat(4) vs Tractor(5)
Best of 7
Salavat leads 2-1
Rodion Amirov (Salavat)
Series:
GP 3 Goals Assists Points SOG 5 TOI 17:34
Playoffs:
Regular season:
GP 39 Goals 9 Assists 4 Points 13 SOG 73 TOI 13:54

Notes
Nizhiny on the verge of elimination down 3-0

Reactions: Trunz05

Trunz05

Dec 2, 2010
Here are the playoff series for our prospects, and their stats in the series and entire playoffs. I will add the other leagues when their playoffs start.
Updated March 7th

Games today

Game 3: Bars Kazan wins 4-0
Bars Kazan leads 3-0
Game 3: Salavat wins 4-0
Salavat leads 2-1

KHL

1st Round: Bars Kazan(1) vs Nizhny(8)
Best of 7
Bars Kazan leads 3-0
SDA (Nizhny)
Series:
Playoffs:
Regular season:
GP 17 Goals 2 Assists 4 Points 6 SOG 29 TOI 14:34

1st Round: Salavat(4) vs Tractor(5)
Best of 7
Salavat leads 2-1
Rodion Amirov (Salavat)
Series:
Playoffs:
Regular season:
GP 39 Goals 9 Assists 4 Points 13 SOG 73 TOI 13:54

Notes
Nizhiny on the verge of elimination down 3-0
If SDA comes over to the marlies they instantly become more intriguing. He’s in game shape and despite quarantine he’d be a great addition

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I remember Garreth Sparks. Once was supposed to be our saviour

If they ever put Sparks on Legends Row, it's because he was the tank goalie during the Auston Matthews draft. Remember how they made up a bunch of excuses to shut Jonathan Bernier down so they could ride the team into the ground with Sparks? Good times.

Reactions: fahad203

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
If they ever put Sparks on Legends Row, it's because he was the tank goalie during the Auston Matthews draft. Remember how they made up a bunch of excuses to shut Jonathan Bernier down so they could ride the team into the ground with Sparks? Good times.

I think it will be for his emotion...nobody else on the team had any emotion except for Sparks...he even said it himself that he is emotional...:sarcasm:

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Zack Trott also released from his ATO on Sunday. Marlies now have 16 forwards on their roster.

Kai Edmonds is the last ATO left on the roster, and he is currently the 3rd goalie. He likely gets released once Woll or Scott comes back, or if the OHL training camp starts up.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
You say that like Bernier was any good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad