Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects Thread - It's finally puckdrop, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
For a team that was lacking top end talent and mostly had not played in a while, they looked half decent. A few breakdowns and bad plays, but they generally did a pretty good job in front of a subpar goalie.

Gaudet had his best game of his Marlies' career today. He wasn't very good last year but he could be a huge part of our 4th line and leadership group this year, so hopefully he can keep things up. Liljegren looked consistently good. Sandin was less consistent but showed the flashes of high end skill and IQ before getting hurt. Joey Anderson also showed off his potential and why he should be of value for the Leafs going forward.

I didn't notice much of the rest, but in general it looked like most guys played as you would expect. Saw some nice things from Chartier, Brazeau, and Elynuik which is good since they are our more promising AHL contracts right now. Brazeau especially just went up one spot on the prospective depth chart (if he earns an ELC) with Korshkov gone now.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
For a team that was lacking top end talent and mostly had not played in a while, they looked half decent. A few breakdowns and bad plays, but they generally did a pretty good job in front of a subpar goalie.

Gaudet had his best game of his Marlies' career today. He wasn't very good last year but he could be a huge part of our 4th line and leadership group this year, so hopefully he can keep things up. Liljegren looked consistently good. Sandin was less consistent but showed the flashes of high end skill and IQ before getting hurt. Joey Anderson also showed off his potential and why he should be of value for the Leafs going forward.

I didn't notice much of the rest, but in general it looked like most guys played as you would expect. Saw some nice things from Chartier, Brazeau, and Elynuik which is good since they are our more promising AHL contracts right now. Brazeau especially just went up one spot on the prospective depth chart (if he earns an ELC) with Korshkov gone now.

Liljegren has consistently looked awesome in the AHL for the past year and a half essentially.

In fact, I’d argue he was the better player between Sandin and him last year.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I really like the idea of Joe Duszak at right wing, it seems like a natural fit.
I was suggesting it last year, and even if it’s a numbers game thing right now, I’d imagine it increases his NHL chances about 10-fold.

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
Liljgren and Sandin (until he got hurt) were easily the best players on the ice yesterday. In fact, the whole of the Marlies D core looks real nice. Rosen is playing nasty and Hollowell has some wheels as well.

The fill in goalie played a good game (looks real small in the net though). Anderson/Brooks/Robertson are a formidable AHL 1st line. Not sure if I've ever seen a slower player than Brazeau outside of Jason Allison. He appears to have good hands but man...nowhere near the skating speed necessary for the NHL at this point. He's also a bit disappointing in that he appears to play pretty soft for someone who is 6'7"...just the way Dubas likes it, I guess...o_O

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Liljgren and Sandin (until he got hurt) were easily the best players on the ice yesterday. In fact, the whole of the Marlies D core looks real nice. Rosen is playing nasty and Hollowell has some wheels as well.

The fill in goalie played a good game (looks real small in the net though). Anderson/Brooks/Robertson are a formidable AHL 1st line. Not sure if I've ever seen a slower player than Brazeau outside of Jason Allison. He appears to have good hands but man...nowhere near the skating speed necessary for the NHL at this point. He's also a bit disappointing in that he appears to play pretty soft for someone who is 6'7"...just the way Dubas likes it, I guess...o_O
Bad narrative which isn't even true but sure.

Reactions: uncleben

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
Is the game tonight free on AHL Live again?

Also - any update on Sandin's injury?
I believe it is. I shelled out for a ROKU device for my TV and signed up for AHL TV @ $20/month. I get to watch the games on my big screen and can cancel at anytime.
I sometimes prefer the scaled down presentations vs Rogers approach of talking about everything but the game itself.

Reactions: LeafChief

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I believe it is. I shelled out for a ROKU device for my TV and signed up for AHL TV @ $20/month. I get to watch the games on my big screen and can cancel at anytime.
I sometimes prefer the scaled down presentations vs Rogers approach of talking about everything but the game itself.
I payed for the Marlies complete season $34 for the whole year. I had 2 screens going for most of the night last night. So far I think its worth every penny. Missed the Sandin injury though, can anyone fill me in on what happend?

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I had most of my attention on the Leafs game last night, but I did have 2 screens going. From what I saw, I think this is exactly where Robertson needs to play this year. I really want to see him dominate at this level before coming up to the big boys. He looked good, but I did notice him misplay pucks here and there. Likely due to the less time and space in the pro game vs Jr. I expect him get adjusted quickly, I just think its right where he needs to be for the time being.

Sandin showed some real flashes where he made the game look stupid easy, but he also was the direct cause of a goal against. Hope he is only sidelined for a little while

Liljegren should be PP2, have no clue how Rosen gets that personally. Makes zero sense. Lil and Sandin to me look like NHL players playing in the AHL.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I really like the idea of Joe Duszak at right wing, it seems like a natural fit.
I was suggesting it last year, and even if it’s a numbers game thing right now, I’d imagine it increases his NHL chances about 10-fold.

He is a 97 who would have to beat Joey Anderson and Denis Malgin for a spot at RW. Korshkov would have had trouble cracking our roster, and all three are significantly better players. He is not a good fit for a 4th line role with how he plays, so he is not making it as a RW here.

At least on RD he can maybe make it ad a sheltered bottom pairing guy and only has to beat Hollowell for that role, since Liljegren will likely get a better role.

I imagine he is next on the list to get tossed in a deal if he doesn't have a future on defense.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
I had most of my attention on the Leafs game last night, but I did have 2 screens going. From what I saw, I think this is exactly where Robertson needs to play this year. I really want to see him dominate at this level before coming up to the big boys. He looked good, but I did notice him misplay pucks here and there. Likely due to the less time and space in the pro game vs Jr. I expect him get adjusted quickly, I just think its right where he needs to be for the time being.

Sandin showed some real flashes where he made the game look stupid easy, but he also was the direct cause of a goal against. Hope he is only sidelined for a little while

Liljegren should be PP2, have no clue how Rosen gets that personally. Makes zero sense. Lil and Sandin to me look like NHL players playing in the AHL.

Obviously it doesnt work this way, but if it were up to me I would put Robertson on a tether to Hyman and point to him as his guiding star.

Make him watch video of his practices. Make him train with him. Make him watch video of his game, how we goes after pucks, the relentless targeted aggression on the forecheck and in loose puck battles. Heck, if Hyman has room get them to live together!

All I want Robertson to do this year is learn how to work at Hymans compete level, and learn how to maintain/retrieve pucks in a similar fashion.

If you can close Hyman's effort as much as possible, but with a elite shot? You got a boanfide top 6 W, who really compliments either Nylander or Marner.

Reactions: Twine Tickler

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Obviously it doesnt work this way, but if it were up to me I would put Robertson on a tether to Hyman and point to him as his guiding star.

Make him watch video of his practices. Make him train with him. Make him watch video of his game, how we goes after pucks, the relentless targeted aggression on the forecheck and in loose puck battles. Heck, if Hyman has room get them to live together!

All I want Robertson to do this year is learn how to work at Hymans compete level, and learn how to maintain/retrieve pucks in a similar fashion.

If you can close Hyman's effort as much as possible, but with a elite shot? You got a boanfide top 6 W, who really compliments either Nylander or Marner.
That's a great point. There really is no reason why Robby can't develop that engine that Hyman has. He is already one of the most determined players in our organization off the ice. Having a Hyman 2.0 with that shot could be VERY dangerous

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
He's very gifted offensively. Try him in the top-6 with PP time and see if there is anything to it. Why not?

Reactions: aingefan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->