Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects Thread - It's finally puckdrop, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
So I've been following this from a distance, but I am starting to get a little excited about this kid.

More awards for Miettinen. Abruzzese's season last year was impressive, but Miettinen is younger and played in a much harder conference.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
He has a better shot than Johnsson.
Do you see any other reason for him to slip as far as he did aside from size and not going to Liga? His shot is NHL quality right now, and it's not his defense is bad or anything. He competes in all three zones. I mean I would get it if he was non existent defensively, but he's okay there. He isn't the fastest though.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Do you see any other reason for him to slip as far as he did aside from size and not going to Liga? His shot is NHL quality right now, and it's not his defense is bad or anything. He competes in all three zones. I mean I would get it if he was non existent defensively, but he's okay there. He isn't the fastest though.

Undersized pure scorers, which is likely what he becomes, are big risks. Finland U20 is not the best competition either. Sweden U20 is the only high quality junior competition IMO, but anywhere else (Russia, Czech, Finland, etc.) I think you need to have strong international showings (which Miettinen also had). He was also a record breaker so that should have earned him some respect.

Absolutely no reason why he should not have been taken earlier though. I had him in the top 100.

Oh well, I am happy to have a top 100 prospect taken in the 6th round.

Reactions: stickty111

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
It took Johnsson a few years post draft to reach this level. Miettinen looks to be legit.

Johnsson scored 15 goals in 44 games in the SHL the year after he was drafted, I think that was at least as impressive as what Miettinen did this year in college.

Miettinen looks great, especially for a 6th round pick, but people have a tendency to get over excited by some of our prospects.

If Miettinen becomes the equivalent of Andreas Johnsson, that is a home run pick for us. I'd obviously love it if he's even better than that, but there's still a good chance he never even carves out an NHL career.

Last edited:
Reactions: uncleben

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
So I've been following this from a distance, but I am starting to get a little excited about this kid.
I think he has been my favorite "B-Level" prospect to follow this year. Which actually has great company with the likes of Niemela, Hallender, Hirvonnen, and Ovchinikov having great years as well. Veeti looks extremely skilled to me. And has a very heavy shot for someone his size. Its very clear to me that he was undervalued based on his unusual path to the NCAA. Credit to our scouting staff on this one, because regardless of what comes from this pick, he has far exceeded his 6th round potential to date

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Bad play by Holmberg here. Not really known for it.

I think the main thing is that he never really tried to get out of the way. He clearly wasn't looking at him, but he just kind of like went about his business like nobody was there.

TBH, it should have been a tripping call. It only looks bad because the guy went flying and Holmberg made no effort to get out of the way.

Reactions: stickty111

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I think the main thing is that he never really tried to get out of the way. He clearly wasn't looking at him, but he just kind of like went about his business like nobody was there.

TBH, it should have been a tripping call. It only looks bad because the guy went flying and Holmberg made no effort to get out of the way.
Yeah wasn't really aware where the other player was. Also just scored the go ahead goal to go along with the assist earlier.
Also as good as Hallander and his team Lulea is, Holmberg's team in Vaxjo is better. Holmberg's had a great season too.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Undersized pure scorers, which is likely what he becomes, are big risks. Finland U20 is not the best competition either. Sweden U20 is the only high quality junior competition IMO, but anywhere else (Russia, Czech, Finland, etc.) I think you need to have strong international showings (which Miettinen also had). He was also a record breaker so that should have earned him some respect.

Absolutely no reason why he should not have been taken earlier though. I had him in the top 100.

Oh well, I am happy to have a top 100 prospect taken in the 6th round.
Yeah I think being undersized and a scorer for the most part hurt him. Experts said he would be an impact player in Liga this year if he went there.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Was Liljegren called up to sit on the bench? He has played 8 games all year and is confirmed to not be playing again tonight.

I would love to give Bogo a night off, I thought he was our worst defenceman in our last two games. I guess Keefe wants to stay big. Really surprised Lehtonen and Lilly haven't gotten a shot lately, though.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Here are the playoff series for our prospects, and their stats in the series and entire playoffs. I will add the other leagues when their playoffs start.
Updated March 9th

Games today

Game 4: Bars Kazan wins 4-1
Bars Kazan wins series 4-0
Game 4: Salavat wins 3-0
Salavat leads 3-1

KHL

1st Round: Bars Kazan(1) vs Nizhny(8)
Best of 7
Bars Kazan wins series 4-0
SDA (Nizhny)
Series:
GP 4 Goals Assists Points SOG 6 TOI 14:01
Playoffs:
GP 4 Goals Assists Points SOG 6 TOI 14:01
Regular season:
GP 17 Goals 2 Assists 4 Points 6 SOG 29 TOI 14:34

1st Round: Salavat(4) vs Tractor(5)
Best of 7
Salavat leads 3-1
Rodion Amirov (Salavat)
Series:
GP 4 Goals Assists Points SOG 7 TOI 13:24
Playoffs:
GP 4 Goals Assists Points SOG 7 TOI 13:24
Regular season:
GP 39 Goals 9 Assists 4 Points 13 SOG 73 TOI 13:54

Notes
Nizhiny is eliminated. SDA should join the Marlies soon.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
SDA's KHL season is done. Should expect him with the Marlies pretty soon
Overall a successful loan for SDA. He adjusted better then expected. The injury earlier came at the wrong time because he was really rolling then. 6 points 17 games in the regular season. Went pointless in the sweep, but Torpedo were outclassed which was expected.
We will see how he adjusts in the AHL which will be the biggest indicator. I said this before but I think if he does well in the AHL, he will be fine in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->