Prospect Info: Marlies and Prospects Discussion - 2018/19 Edition V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I think he was a LW when he was in the MHL. He's definitely done it before, but it has been a while.

That being said, he can probably learn how to be a LW, and if it means making the NHL, he will learn.

your assuming he desperately wants to play in the NHL, some Russians don't not saying he doesn't but we cant assume

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I don't see why he would do anything to benefit us on an ELC, he can stay there and likely earn more than $700K especially the longer he stays there. He and his agent would try and get the best ELC terms possible. Sure it would be nice to sign him for 100K less but getting him over is also important

I think the 30th top paid KHL player is only a bit over $1M USD so with 500 players and a < $15M salary cap in place only the top end talent is making $700k in that league. Korsh should be an easy get for less than that.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
it wouldn't work with them, because if they don't make the leafs theyd have to go to the AHL? therefore would have to be paid $70K right you cant change an ELC to $700K in A and NHL. Euros it would work

Couldn't most of the $700k be structured as a signing bonus?

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Couldn't most of the $700k be structured as a signing bonus?

I think the max signing bonus on an ELC contract is fairly low... 92.5K is the highest I've seen on capfriendly... I.E. Matthews/Dahlin, etc.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Korshkov says that he intends to come to Toronto this year. He told me the same thing last year, so who really knows?

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I think back in the day the Russians made everyone shoot left, I believe

Last edited:

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
I was once recruited to a field hockey game when I was a student in Britain. There were a bunch of sticks available, with the characteristic rounded bottom and, as it turned out, only one side flattened for striking the ball. I was told that the idea is to rotate the stick on that rounded bottom if you need to hit the ball in the other direction. The worst problem was that all sticks are right hand and, like most of theLeafs defence, I’m a left hand shot. It all felt incredibly awkward for somebody raised on the right kind of hockey.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Is this guy a total bust at this point?

Don't know. It's a big jump for guy to leave his home and the safety of what he knows in Russia. He has to get his head on straight and be determined that he wants to play in North America and a year in the AHL. Only if can get over that hurdle....he'll be in Russia. But it's getting close to his make or break time as an NHLer.
If I was betting.....the Leafs wasted that draft pick.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
why would you think that?

Don't know. It's a big jump for guy to leave his home and the safety of what he knows in Russia. He has to get his head on straight and be determined that he wants to play in North America and a year in the AHL. Only if can get over that hurdle....he'll be in Russia. But it's getting close to his make or break time as an NHLer.
If I was betting.....the Leafs wasted that draft pick.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I won't write Korshkov off until I see what he can do in the AHL (I assume he'll still come over).

I would expect an adjustment period which could mean a slow start offensively and positionally, but I would also expect that he can figure it out relatively quickly. If, in the latter parts of the season, he struggles I will be concerned.

Reactions: saltming

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I knew Brooks was an overager when we picked him but I didn't realize it was by 2 drafts. I do like the progress he has made this year but with him turning 23 in a few months, I really wonder what he have.

I'd also like to see Joshua and McGregor along with Brooks, duke it out for 4th line centre. It would be nice if one could stick and be the dude and be a bit of an upgrade over the Goat.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I knew Brooks was an overager when we picked him but I didn't realize it was by 2 drafts. I do like the progress he has made this year but with him turning 23 in a few months, I really wonder what he have.

I'd also like to see Joshua and McGregor along with Brooks, duke it out for 4th line centre. It would be nice if one could stick and be the dude and be a bit of an upgrade over the Goat.

Brooks has a very good 2-way pro game, lots of hustle and always around the puck, a Babcock type player, I like him. I dunno if those other two guys will get an ELC, wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad