Prospect Info: Marlies and Prospects Discussion - 2018/19 Edition V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
If he's willing to sign a 700K contract, I'm okay with Dubas garunteeing him a roster spot (whether its 3rd line W, 4th line W or #13F.

Korshkov is underrated around these parts...

He would be on a ELC wouldn't he? so it would be ~$800K

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
If Korshkov is willing to come over, he'll play on a line with Matthews. It's the cap reality

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
An ELC can sign for league minumum...

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

It would be beneficial actially if they had the arrangement I suggested. An ELC player only makes ~70K in the AHL... An ELC player at 700K would make 700K in the NHL...

I don't see why he would do anything to benefit us on an ELC, he can stay there and likely earn more than $700K especially the longer he stays there. He and his agent would try and get the best ELC terms possible. Sure it would be nice to sign him for 100K less but getting him over is also important

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Is his skating a big issue?

No. It will never be a strength, given his shear size, but his skating has been enough to make it a strength at the OHL level.

The thing about Brazeau that I like is that he's doing it on his own. Felhaber is on a stacked team, and has been widely ineffective before then (i.e. should not have even been on draft radars past his draft year, which is what essentially happened). Brazeau has been a guy who deserved real attention every single year, including his draft year. North Bay has never been a competitive team, yet he always finds way to be effective even without the assistance of his team mates.

I think Dubas would like him if he likes anyone with any kind of size.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I don't see why he would do anything to benefit us on an ELC, he can stay there and likely earn more than $700K especially the longer he stays there. He and his agent would try and get the best ELC terms possible. Sure it would be nice to sign him for 100K less but getting him over is also important

1) He'd only be required to sign a 1 year ELC (if I recall correctly).
2) Would you rather a 700K garunteed (i.e. promise to make the roster/KHL out clause) or 70K in the AHL. Tough choice... :rolleyes:

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
2) Would you rather a 700K garunteed (i.e. promise to make the roster/KHL out clause) or 70K in the AHL. Tough choice... :rolleyes:

I didn't realize that's what you meant, sorry. I didn't notice you said KHL out clause, well yeah he could go for that

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I didn't realize that's what you meant, sorry. I didn't notice you said KHL out clause, well yeah he could go for that

Similarily, I think it could be done to lure top NCAA/European free agents. Garunteed spot on roster if you sign for 700K.

We're going to need cheap depth, especially at forward to fill out our roster.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Similarily, I think it could be done to lure top NCAA/European free agents. Garunteed spot on roster if you sign for 700K.

We're going to need cheap depth, especially at forward to fill out our roster.

it wouldn't work with them, because if they don't make the leafs theyd have to go to the AHL? therefore would have to be paid $70K right you cant change an ELC to $700K in A and NHL. Euros it would work

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
it wouldn't work with them, because if they don't make the leafs theyd have to go to the AHL? therefore would have to be paid $70K right you cant change an ELC to $700K in A and NHL. Euros it would work

I think Dubas is building a 'trustworthy' reputation throughout the NHL. Leafs promised they'd trade Leivo if he couldn't get good playing time, and they did. Similarily, I think the leafs can make similar promises to NCAA free agents.

Reactions: exporta

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I think Dubas is building a 'trustworthy' reputation throughout the NHL. Leafs promised they'd trade Leivo if he couldn't get good playing time, and they did. Similarily, I think the leafs can make similar promises to NCAA free agents.

im down. Would love to sign a few college FA's especially forwards we are losing depth there now, LW with size would be a dream a C or 2 wouldn't go a miss. D im not sure we need a college FA D to be honest we have a lot of dmen now they aren't making the leafs

edit: got a list of college FA's? is there a sort after guy this year? like Vesey

2nd edit: Maybe the rangers will trade Vesey he is 25, LW with size doing better than I thought he was. a 2nd maybe entice them

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
im down. Would love to sign a few college FA's especially forwards we are losing depth there now, LW with size would be a dream a C or 2 wouldn't go a miss. D im not sure we need a college FA D to be honest we have a lot of dmen now they aren't making the leafs

edit: got a list of college FA's? is there a sort after guy this year? like Vesey

2nd edit: Maybe the rangers will trade Vesey he is 25, LW with size doing better than I thought he was. a 2nd maybe entice them

Oh, I don't know... I have no player in mind... it would have to be the best of the best, since most college NCAA free agents do need development time.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

He'd sign a 2 year ELC if he came this/next season.

The length of entry-level contracts is dependent on age. 18- to 21-year-olds sign for 3 years; 22- and 23-year-olds sign for 2, and 24-year-olds sign for 1 year. Players 25 or older as of September 15 of the year in which they sign their first NHL contract do not sign entry-level deals. The exception to the 25 or older rule is for players that were drafted outside of North America. Those players that sign from 25 to 27 are subject to a one-year ELC.

Reactions: MyBudJT

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
No, but I think we have a good chance of signing him if we want him here.
Yes.
If his skating doesnt improve he won't be able to keep up with today's game.

Saying that, most bug guys skating keeps improving till their mid 20s, since they usually need to add a decent amount of bottom half muscle.

If you have ever seen him in shorts or a suit, he might be 6'6 225 but that's mostly frame. He has a good amount of room to put on lean muscle.

I go back to Keefe talking about Braccos 1st year in the AHL.
He played well, but was given time off (on 3 in 3s or 2 in 2s) so that he got more time with the strength and conditioning coaches.

If a guy like Brazeau gets similar treatment and takes a similar step forward physically like Bracco it would put him into the next tier of prospects.

It's something I want the Leafs to use as a market inefficiency. Bring in guys who are just physically underdeveloped/ have a glaring weakness that think the game really well and give them the best physical development team money can buy combined with giving them AHL games off so they can develop qs fast as possible. It's this kind of move that can really help a team find cheap talented 3rd/4th lines who can be brought in for cheap and who dont cost draft picks necessarialy since those will be used in trades most years when your "going for it"

Reactions: hockeynorth

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Yes.
If his skating doesnt improve he won't be able to keep up with today's game.

Saying that, most bug guys skating keeps improving till their mid 20s, since they usually need to add a decent amount of bottom half muscle.

If you have ever seen him in shorts or a suit, he might be 6'6 225 but that's mostly frame. He has a good amount of room to put on lean muscle.

I go back to Keefe talking about Braccos 1st year in the AHL.
He played well, but was given time off (on 3 in 3s or 2 in 2s) so that he got more time with the strength and conditioning coaches.

If a guy like Brazeau gets similar treatment and takes a similar step forward physically like Bracco it would put him into the next tier of prospects.

It's something I want the Leafs to use as a market inefficiency. Bring in guys who are just physically underdeveloped/ have a glaring weakness that think the game really well and give them the best physical development team money can buy combined with giving them AHL games off so they can develop qs fast as possible. It's this kind of move that can really help a team find cheap talented 3rd/4th lines who can be brought in for cheap and who dont cost draft picks necessarialy since those will be used in trades most years when your "going for it"

The only problem is contract spots, but I do not think the Leafs need to worry as much about those as they did in the past. You max out at 23 in the NHL, and the Marlies are starting to fill a lot of their depth spots with AHL contracts, especially up front. You can have a 13 forwards, 8 defense and 3 goalies under contract in the minors and still have another 3 spots to play with.

Considering the Leafs are probably not going to be using 23 anymore, and they will probably even cut down on the number of contracts elsewhere, they are not going to need to worry much about their contract limits. Outside of a goalie, I think the Leafs are going to do their homework to maximize that efficiency, since it is not overly difficult to do.

Reactions: TML1967

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
why? he is a RW so he could play on any line. Nylander can play with Matthews OR kapanen

I think he's a LW. I think we'll trade Johnsson rather than Brown, because Johnsson has more value. I think the heavy forward the Leafs are looking for is going to play with Matthews

Korshkov - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Kapanen - Kadri - Brown
Moore - Goat - someone.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I think he's a LW. I think we'll trade Johnsson rather than Brown, because Johnsson has more value. I think the heavy forward the Leafs are looking for is going to play with Matthews

Korshkov - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Kapanen - Kadri - Brown
Moore - Goat - someone.

He has never played LW, he is left handed but according the Russian prospect guy who comes to the leaf board every now and then. Apparently most Russian wingers play their off wing at least when they are younger.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
He has never played LW, he is left handed but according the Russian prospect guy who comes to the leaf board every now and then. Apparently most Russian wingers play their off wing at least when they are younger.
They do. Heck look at 3 of the best ones in Ovechkin, Kucherov, Panarin all play their off wing

Reactions: Walshy7

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

I think he was a LW when he was in the MHL. He's definitely done it before, but it has been a while.

That being said, he can probably learn how to be a LW, and if it means making the NHL, he will learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad