Prospect Info: Marlies and Prospects Discussion - 2018/19 Edition V

Status
Not open for further replies.

FriendlyGiant

Jul 28, 2006
Have you seen SDA play and if so, why doesn't he have better offensive numbers in his D+1 season?

I saw him when Peterborough came to play the Rangers in Kitchener. Very unimpressive. You could see some talent and agility there, but he was very ineffective. The fact that he didn't get much ice time tells you lots about how his coach felt about his play. I have to trust that Leafs staff saw something good at training camp when they gave him an ELC, but he sure didn't look like a pro prospect at the game I went to. I know it's only one game, but I'm not holding out hope that he'll turn into an NHLer. I hope he proves me wrong.

bonjovi0308

Jan 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Wheeler: The complete Maple Leafs prospect rankings,...

2qz2cdz.png
Would you please kindly share what his view on sda?

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I saw him when Peterborough came to play the Rangers in Kitchener. Very unimpressive. You could see some talent and agility there, but he was very ineffective. The fact that he didn't get much ice time tells you lots about how his coach felt about his play. I have to trust that Leafs staff saw something good at training camp when they gave him an ELC, but he sure didn't look like a pro prospect at the game I went to. I know it's only one game, but I'm not holding out hope that he'll turn into an NHLer. I hope he proves me wrong.

He was one of the youngest players in the draft and still just 17 when he started camp with the Leafs. Next year is the year I really hope to see SDA have a big year as he should start gaining some of that man strength. I'm not sure if he is eligible for an extra year of junior or not because of his birth date or not, but he'll turn 19 shortly into next season and hopefully he starts to break out.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
He was one of the youngest players in the draft and still just 17 when he started camp with the Leafs. Next year is the year I really hope to see SDA have a big year as he should start gaining some of that man strength. I'm not sure if he is eligible for an extra year of junior or not because of his birth date or not, but he'll turn 19 shortly into next season and hopefully, he starts to break out.

I think he was a day away from going into this summers draft, he might have fallen a few rounds if he did. I'm still confused at why he was given an ELC

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I think he was a day away from going into this summers draft, he might have fallen a few rounds if he did. I'm still confused at why he was given an ELC
I think they wanted to keep him in North America and away from signing KHL contracts. We control his development now and can basically have him for 5 years on that ELC.

He has the skill, let's see if he can put in the work.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Would you please kindly share what his view on sda?
6. Semyon Der-Arguchintsev, C, 18 (Peterborough Petes)

SDA’s seasons have existed in three segments. He really struggled out of the gate, he’s really struggling right now, and there was a middle section during which he looked like the most dynamic player on the ice for an extended stretch. In the infamous words of Fran Fraschilla, he’s “two years away from being two years away.” Given how young he is (SDA was days away from being eligible for this year’s draft), that’s fine. He’ll likely need to find a way to get stronger (just like Connor Brown, who struggled for years to add weight, eventually did) if he’s going to have a successful pro career, he’ll definitely need to learn to cut down on the mistakes, overhandling the puck, improve in his own zone, and he’s got to begin to shoot more and to turn that shot into a threat along the way. There’s so much to like about his game, though. SDA’s puck skills are off the charts, he sees players across the ice that most don’t and he has the passing ability to thread the puck through traffic with a quick spin to make that pass happen and, despite lacking foot speed, he’s able to play the game at his pace and still dictate.

Reactions: bonjovi0308

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
SDA is highly skilled but is barely strong enough to handle junior aged kids let alone professional grown men.

They probably should have waited on the ELC.

Depending on his personality, it could have also affected his development. Some players really need that carrot dangling in front of them to motivate themselves to do everything they can on and off the ice to become the best player possible. Maybe he'd be having a better year if he were really striving to earn a contract (or maybe that's a non-factor, and he's struggling for other reasons).

Regardless, he's always been looked at as a long-term project. He needs to add a ton of muscle, and will probably be going through multiple AHL years before sniffing the NHL (if he even makes it).

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Which forwards are graduating from College/Junior to the Marlies next year?

McGregor, Joshua, Dzierkals all expire, and you can probably also add Korshkov to that list as well.

McGregor and Korshkov are good bets I think. Joshua has a decent shot as well. Dzierkals is a long shot and I think his rights are traded at the TDL, since he has been decent enough for teams to have interest in his rights. Dzierkals I think is just done with the organization.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
McGregor, Joshua, Dzierkals all expire, and you can probably also add Korshkov to that list as well.

McGregor and Korshkov are good bets I think. Joshua has a decent shot as well. Dzierkals is a long shot and I think his rights are traded at the TDL, since he has been decent enough for teams to have interest in his rights. Dzierkals I think is just done with the organization.

I can see the Marlies getting deployed something like this (barring trades or guys I expect to sign not getting signed):

Engvall-Mueller-Bracco
Marchment-Brooks-Carcone
Timashov-Joshua-Korshkov
Greening-McGregor-Brazeau
Clune/ECHLers

I'd say that's still a pretty solid lineup.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I can see the Marlies getting deployed something like this (barring trades or guys I expect to sign not getting signed):

Engvall-Mueller-Bracco
Marchment-Brooks-Carcone
Timashov-Joshua-Korshkov
Clune/ECHLers

you think Korshkov will come over to play in the A? or more likely he stays in the KHL and waits until he gets a spot with the leafs

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
you think Korshkov will come over to play in the A? or more likely he stays in the KHL and waits until he gets a spot with the leafs

I think he comes over to play in the A for one year. If he was healthy and producing I think he would be less inclined, but I do think he also realizes that he has a much better and clear chance of getting to the NHL through the A than trying to impress enough in the KHL. Plus, it'll be easier for him to stand out, and there is a good chance that the Leafs are not going to have so much overwhelming depth that he could easily earn an NHL shot early on; perhaps even out of training camp.

But he's going to need to come to training camp in the first place.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

If he's willing to sign a 700K contract, I'm okay with Dubas garunteeing him a roster spot (whether its 3rd line W, 4th line W or #13F.

Korshkov is underrated around these parts...

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Sounds like he needs the Bracco treatment that Keefe described.
AHL time where he doesnt play every game, but works out a ton on strength and skating explosiveness.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010

Engvall-Mueller-Bracco
Marchment-Brooks-Carcone
Timashov-Joshua-Korshkov
Clune/ECHLers

Brazeau?
You know something we dont?

I'd love the kid, give him a year with Barb and see what she can do!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad