Prospect Info: Marlies and Prospects Discussion - 2018/19 Edition V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
After the Muzzin trade, the Leafs organization is starting to feel a little emptied out. The D still has some great depth in development, but the forward depth and forwards in the pipeline isn't too great, particularly at center. With no first rounder in 2019, it doesn't look like we'll be getting another crack at a potential blue chipper for another year and a half. With a cap crunch looming, we won't be adding more expensive talent on the free agent market either.

The thing that's really hurt us have been the Boyle and Plekanec trades, coupled with getting nothing for Komarov, Bozak and JVR, whom didn't really help with the playoff experience department. That's probably a swing of about at least 4 extra quality prospects in the pipeline who could have helped get Pietrangelo or pushed guys like Brown out of a job.

Really going to need European and college free agents to fill the gap.
The JVR/Bozak situation was majorly mishandled. Holding on to both of those guys and still getting bounced in the first round was piss poor asset management. Definitely don't advocate moving them mid-season as a playoff team, which is why I think Gards will walk too, but JVR especially should have been moved the summer prior for futures.

The Leafs will have lost a 37 goal scorer, 50pt D-man, and 40-50 point C in one calendar year for nothing. Not great.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Matthews Marner Tavares
Nylander Kapanen Kadri
Johnsson Hyman Brown
(Marleau Ennis Lindholm)
Moore Goat Bracco/marchment

not really much of a gap to fill, tbh.

The recent struggles of the Leafs tells me the forward group isn't necessarily the right recipe. I don't think Marleau, Brown, Gauthier, Ennis, and Lindholm are really the right ingredients.

Reactions: Moonman

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The JVR/Bozak situation was majorly mishandled. Holding on to both of those guys and still getting bounced in the first round was piss poor asset management. Definitely don't advocate moving them mid-season as a playoff team, which is why I think Gards will walk too, but JVR especially should have been moved the summer prior for futures.

The Leafs will have lost a 37 goal scorer, 50pt D-man, and 40-50 point C in one calendar year for nothing. Not great.

I would like to see them explore moving Gardiner in a hockey deal for futures and then blending those futures into another acquisition that could help right now. I don't know if we should own rental should be a given, considering how mercurial his playoff track record is. But I am against losing him for nothing. And don't really want to sign him.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Dermott has been Jake's 3rd most common defense partner this year after zaits and Mo.

Dermott and jake have a 63.5cf% together.

They still hardly play together. I think the last time I checked it was like 3% of the time. Just because he is the third most common does not mean anything.

Also, this is what I hate about Corsi sometimes. People just assume that a high number means something should happen or someone is really good, and a low number means someone is trash and should not happen. They do not even bother to think about what the numbers actually mean. That 63.5 CF% will not be anywhere near that high if you played Dermott like they do Zaitsev right now. Guaranteed. They'd probably change their role to make it more cushy before it got that bad (or break them up entirely), but it would probably be in a range that would absolutely suck.

Otherwise, don't you think Babcock would have tried it if it was going to work on this level?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Otherwise, don't you think Babcock would have tried it if it was going to work on this level?

babcock's biggest weakness is his stubborness. it took him far too long to get kappy off the fourth line, and it's taking far too long to get dermott off the bottom pair.

and really - you're going to GUARANTEE me that dermott can't outplay zaitsev on a pairig with jake?

guarantee?

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
babcock's biggest weakness is his stubborness. it took him far too long to get kappy off the fourth line, and it's taking far too long to get dermott off the bottom pair.

and really - you're going to GUARANTEE me that dermott can't outplay zaitsev on a pairig with jake?

guarantee?

As much as you can give without it actually happening.

Since it won't. Not for any long stretch of time.

Babcock is stubborn, and does some really dumb things, but that would not even make the list.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Felhaber signs in Dallas.

Scratch one guy off of the list. Oh well, I like Brazeau more anyways.

Reactions: Duke16

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Taro Hirose is someone the Leafs may target. He was invited to two Leafs camps (2016 and 2017; he went to the Red Wings camp in 2018). While he is a small LW, he is leading the NCAA in points (and put up a lot in his first two years as well) and has the type of puck skills the Leafs like. He's a 96' so he could be NHL ready relatively quickly, and could be someone who replaces a Timashov if he's traded at the TDL this year.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
As much as you can give without it actually happening.

Since it won't. Not for any long stretch of time.

Babcock is stubborn, and does some really dumb things, but that would not even make the list.

OMG OMG GARDINER-DERMOTT IS A PAIRING RIGHT NOW OMG OMG

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Taro Hirose is someone the Leafs may target. He was invited to two Leafs camps (2016 and 2017; he went to the Red Wings camp in 2018). While he is a small LW, he is leading the NCAA in points (and put up a lot in his first two years as well) and has the type of puck skills the Leafs like. He's a 96' so he could be NHL ready relatively quickly, and could be someone who replaces a Timashov if he's traded at the TDL this year.
Pretty solid stats.

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Pretty solid stats.

I think so. The problem is, will there be enough room for him to want to come here? We have a good stock of guys in his age range, and most of them are pretty good. I am also not overly impressed with the NCAA crop. Most of them would not be much better than the prospects we'd bring in, including our own NCAAer (Dakota Joshua).

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Two shifts, two goals... better break it up. Hainsey and Zaitsev are good men and good pros..
Yeah. I'd love Dermott on the second pairing with Gardiner, and I think it needs to happen. But Hainsey and Zaitsev wouldn't be able to get a zone exit even if they were alone on the ice. That's a pairing that can't be. Ideally, we'd find a way to dump Zaitsev and replace him with someone like Jensen. That would give us three strong pairings. Not bad for a team whose defense is supposedly our weakness.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Marlies win 3-0.
Kask with 33 saves. Maybe it gets him going now.

Thought that about the last one, then he let in 6. Talk about an inconsistent season. He has 3 shutouts in 17 games and still a putrid save percentage.

More specifically, has 3 shutouts in his last 8 games.

Reactions: stickty111
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad