Prospect Info: Marlies and Prospects Discussion - 2018/19 Edition V

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
The Leafs may want a huge aggressive decently skilled D'man in the system. Has anyone seen him play, is he any good?
I’ve watched him recently and will get another look coming up. I was really disappointed and underwhelmed by him. Lacks puck skills, isn’t the most engaging player, and I think the reports of good skating are mostly overblown. I’m hoping my view was a small sample size and results of him adjusting to a new team.

Reactions: Duke16

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I’ve watched him recently and will get another look coming up. I was really disappointed and underwhelmed by him. Lacks puck skills, isn’t the most engaging player, and I think the reports of good skating are mostly overblown. I’m hoping my view was a small sample size and results of him adjusting to a new team.
Not to mention that he can't really defend that well without taking numerous stick infractions. I get what fans want to see Gordeev become, but I really don't see it happening. I don't think he is any better than a guy like Mattinen to be honest.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
What a roller coaster year for the Marlies. The last 9 periods I've seen them play live, they've allowed 0 goals. But extend that to 12 periods I've seen live and they've allowed 8 goals.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Not to mention that he can't really defend that well without taking numerous stick infractions. I get what fans want to see Gordeev become, but I really don't see it happening. I don't think he is any better than a guy like Mattinen to be honest.
It seems he takes quite a lot of penalties by checking out his EP profile.

I had more hope for this player because of the Flint situation over someone like Rasanen panning out.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Will Rosen be a black ace come playoff time, assuming Marincin is AHL bound/traded?

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Why? Did they change the defense or something?

Borgman is healthy again and Corrado is in game shape now. Rosen, Borgman, Laverde, and Corrado are pretty elite top 4 in the AHL. I have taken a liking to the Leblanc kid also, he has a nice skill set, he could be a good AHL d'man.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
After the Muzzin trade, the Leafs organization is starting to feel a little emptied out. The D still has some great depth in development, but the forward depth and forwards in the pipeline isn't too great, particularly at center. With no first rounder in 2019, it doesn't look like we'll be getting another crack at a potential blue chipper for another year and a half. With a cap crunch looming, we won't be adding more expensive talent on the free agent market either.

The thing that's really hurt us have been the Boyle and Plekanec trades, coupled with getting nothing for Komarov, Bozak and JVR, whom didn't really help with the playoff experience department. That's probably a swing of about at least 4 extra quality prospects in the pipeline who could have helped get Pietrangelo or pushed guys like Brown out of a job.

Really going to need European and college free agents to fill the gap.

Since Borgman is pretty far behind in the depth chart i say we trade him somewhere where he can get a better chance, and try and get a similar aged forward in return

Reactions: FriendlyGiant

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
it's funny because Lilly is ahead of kappy and Dermott and on track with Willy at this point.

1 for 2. He's ahead of Kappy Dermott, but Willy didn't just earn a big time role with the team and do ok with it (which is excellent for a U20 player) he took that role and was one of the most dominant players in the league. Lilly hasn't done that yet.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
2nd star to the losing goalie lol

Thats hillarious. Sault goalie had 2 goals on 34 shots plus an assist compared to 3 goals on 36 shots for Keyser. I guess the home team recognized how hard it was to limit Hollowell to just 3 points when he is flying :laugh:

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Marlies GM has that Canucks connection, too bad, I liked that Stefan LeBlanc kid, he was getting better every game

These guys are only on AHL contracts. Not saying this is going to happen but nothing stops any of them from signing a contract with any NHL team including the Leafs. There are defensemen returning soon to the Marlies so someone has to go and it appears that Leblanc is AHL level so he shouldn't be buried in the ECHL.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
LeBlanc was like our 6th best LD on the Marlies. McMaster is the same age and can play center. With Marchment out, he may play LW on the 4th line, allowing Timashov to move back up with Mueller and Bracco, and putting Engvall in the Marchment role with Brooks and Moore.

At worst, McMaster is insurance in a much more pressing area than LeBlanc, who likely would have been in the ECHL before the next game. Marlies need depth, and they need to find some cheap forward depth, especially they want to use guys like Timashov as trade chips at the TDL this year. Borgman and Subban are also likely on the move, with Marincin now in the mix and Sandin/Liljegren coming back soon.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
These guys are only on AHL contracts. Not saying this is going to happen but nothing stops any of them from signing a contract with any NHL team including the Leafs. There are defensemen returning soon to the Marlies so someone has to go and it appears that Leblanc is AHL level so he shouldn't be buried in the ECHL.

I get all that, Leblanc just caught my eye, he had a nice skill set, he needs a little help with his defensive game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad