Prospect Info: Marlies and Prospects Discussion - 2018/19 Edition V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Since Borgman is pretty far behind in the depth chart i say we trade him somewhere where he can get a better chance, and try and get a similar aged forward in return

I'd rather have a draft pick and start at the beginning of the development cycle.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Ryan McGregor has played his way into legitimate prospect status. I feel like he can be groomed into the perfect 4C with an outside shot on 3C if his offensive game continues to progress. Ideally he becomes a 4C though.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Mac Hollowell gets a hat trick and was the second star.

First star was the losing goalie who gave up 3 goals on 36 shots.

Winning goalie gave up 2 goals on 34 shots and was not even 3rd star.

So yeah, put absolutely no stock into OHL 3 Stars.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
oh well ...

I called that this would happen. Marchment is out long-term and Grundstrom traded, the Marlies needed more LW depth.

With Sandin and Liljegren very close, and Lindgren joining the team (probably) in a month or so, this makes sense. And Marincin is down there now as well.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I called that this would happen. Marchment is out long-term and Grundstrom traded, the Marlies needed more LW depth.

With Sandin and Liljegren very close, and Lindgren joining the team (probably) in a month or so, this makes sense. And Marincin is down there now as well.

Borgman, Oleksy, LoVerde, Corrado, Jardine and Subban as well. They could trade Borgman and Subban and still have 9 defensemen if Lindgren comes into the mix.

Most likely, they are going to trade Borgman and Subban.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Not putting a ton of stock into what Hollowell does until he makes the jump to the AHL. Guy like that needs to keep jumping the hurdles before we really consider him.

Keon1963

Sep 27, 2017
Borgman, Oleksy, LoVerde, Corrado, Jardine and Subban as well. They could trade Borgman and Subban and still have 9 defensemen if Lindgren comes into the mix.

Most likely, they are going to trade Borgman and Subban.

IMHO You could not get a bag of broken pucks for Subban.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010

Would have liked to aim a bit higher on LW acquisition, even if only AHL caliber currently.

CJ Smith who we tried to sign out of college is having a good year. Skates hard and battles well.

I guess I just wish they had picked up some new size to replace Marchment.

Reactions: jaric1862

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Hopefully add Dakota Joshua to our group. BIG boy, hard to move in front of the net. Has a little bit of chippiness to him.

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
So at what point do we get excited for Hollowell? He's an 20 year old OA and an old 20 year old at that. Next season if he proves early he can cut it in the AHL? If he puts some points up doing it?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
So at what point do we get excited for Hollowell? He's an 20 year old OA and an old 20 year old at that. Next season if he proves early he can cut it in the AHL? If he puts some points up doing it?

yeah, never get excited about an overager in the CHL.

wait until he shows something in the AHL before starting to hope, imo.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

As already mentioned, Hollowell isn't an "old overager".

Also, I got excited when @Mike Farkas gave a very detailed scouting report, and I also believe had a couple of videos too (unless I'm thinking of someone else).

Not a Leafs fan, but I am down here in Dallas doing some draft related activities (some call it "work", but that has a negative connotation), and I could not be more thrilled for this pick. Hollowell is very small, but he is one of the best skaters in the entire draft class, smart, skilled and plays a pretty mature game all things considered.

My write up on him, for whatever it's worth...

2. Mac Hollowell (Soo [OHL] #11, RHS, RD/LD) - Remarkably mobile, offensive-minded defenseman. Hollowell has one of the finest skating bases in his age group. He can motor around the rink forwards, backwards, laterally, any way you want it and he can beat virtually anyone to any spot. Has a penchant for escapability and swinging his net and just leaving forecheckers in his wake. Has a terrific skill set and can make guys miss with the combo of his speed, edges and stick work. He isn't just a reckless offensive d-man either, he is actually very smart in all facets. He has high-end hockey IQ and exhibits that at all times. Defensively he is well positioned, but can be over-matched size wise. Even in his jersey, it looks like he's wearing his father's suit. He avoids taking big hits because it's like nailing Jell-o to a tree trying to track him down. He has elite skating and elite hockey IQ and plenty of skill, that makes him a player regardless of his size.

Hockey Sense: A
Skating speed/power/acc: A+
Skating lateral/edges/agility: A+
Vision: A
Puck skills: A-
Shot: B-
Defense technique: B
Defense urgency: C
Frame/size: F
Ceiling/Risk: V.High/med (2nd rd)

Now, I may be the biggest Hollowell (and Joey Keane, for that matter) pimp in Dallas, but there are a few followers that I talked to. There are also a number of teams that had him as ND because of his size. Even a couple OHL GMs I talked to were a little taken aback that I had him as my #2 d-man in the O. One analytics guy I talked to (real analytics, not corsi stuff) graded him very highly.

Also, unrelated, I was staying in the same hotel as Rasmus Sandin (who I am a big fan of as well...very smart player), I talked to him a couple times since he was selected...he couldn't be more thrilled to be a Maple Leaf. He won't take that Leafs hat off, it's been glued to his head since he got it on stage haha

Sandin is my #3 d-man in the OHL for the record. I thought both OHL d-men were great value picks...

Perhaps he has an update for us?

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
As already mentioned, Hollowell isn't an "old overager".

Also, I got excited when @Mike Farkas gave a very detailed scouting report, and I also believe had a couple of videos too (unless I'm thinking of someone else).

Perhaps he has an update for us?

Sounds like Marc-Andre Bergeron 2.0 - good guy to run a PP.

Maybe on the upside we'll get really lucky and he can be Ellis lite.

Reactions: MyBudJT

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Hollowell is a late 98, therefore was only eligible for the draft starting in 2017. This is technically a Draft +2 season, although he is considered an OA because his a 98 b-day. Not an OA in the same sense as Felhaber and Brazeau, who were 2016 eligible.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Hollowell is a late 98, therefore was only eligible for the draft starting in 2017. This is technically a Draft +2 season, although he is considered an OA because his a 98 b-day. Not an OA in the same sense as Felhaber and Brazeau, who were 2016 eligible.

Eh, the draft having a weird cut off doesn't make him any less of an OA. He played his minor midget with the rest of the 98's, became OHL eligible with the rest of the 98's, etc, etc.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Scott Wheeler released his prospect rankings, and going over it, all I can say is it's not really worth reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad