Prospect Info: Marlies and Prospects Discussion - 2018/19 Edition V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I can see Liljegren as being an offensive driver. Maybe not the number 1 (although that is certainly a possibility), but definitely in the number two hole that Gardiner is in right now. I think the thing to remember is that they are not letting Liljegren just run wild with his offense. They want to teach him a responsible defensive game and build up each part before letting him unleash everything. Just like they did with a bunch of forwards on the 4th line, and just like they did with Rielly his first few years in the NHL.

I think there is still some left to be desired in terms of his offensive ability, but that could be said about a lot of the offensive guys on the Marlies this year (especially when Liljegren was playing; it has been better recently).

I just don't see the offensive IQ

He makes a nice pass and has a decent shot but when it comes to decision making in the offensive zone and rushing with the puck (where he runs himself out of options) I think that's going to cap his offensive output

I also think we're trying to reign in his more flamboyant traits and trying to turn him into a more rounded, all situations type player

I could be wrong but that's how I see him

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
If he can move the puck up ice through the N/Z with our forward group he's going to pick up points, add in him QBing the 2nd PP unit and I think he's likely more a 30-40 point player rather than 20 points imo

I don't see him PP in the NHL, I also can see Sandin taking away his AHL PP minutes shortly.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I don't see him PP in the NHL, I also can see Sandin taking away his AHL PP minutes shortly.

I could see him on the 2nd PP unit, i can't see them punting him off the PP in the AHL either, it's a development league and were still trying to develop his puck moving skills, the PP helps that

I could see Sandin getting PP time once Liljegren graduates but I think there going to prioritize Liljegren since he's closer

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
I just don't see the offensive IQ

He makes a nice pass and has a decent shot but when it comes to decision making in the offensive zone and rushing with the puck (where he runs himself out of options) I think that's going to cap his offensive output

I also think we're trying to reign in his more flamboyant traits and trying to turn him into a more rounded, all situations type player

I could be wrong but that's how I see him

Negative nancy, here.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
in my opinion, he is not high-end offensive d'man

Last edited by a moderator:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I watch the Marlies, I've seen Lily shift by shift

I think he is he's a very valuable commodity on this team and around the league

If he can play in all situations for 20 minutes a night on the 2nd pair and get 30-40 points as a #17 pick it's a win

Last edited by a moderator:

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Blake did choose Durzi over Liljegren. Here's how it went down.

Dubas: 1st + Grundstrom + a defence prospect your choice Robbie.

Blake: Liljegren

Dubas: Nope

Blake: Sandin

Dubas: Nope

Blake: Durzi?

Dubas: Ok deal.

I imagine he offered 2 packages.
1st +Durzi and Grund
Or 2nd +Lil and Grund.
So he did pick Durzi over lilj

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
This is coming from the guy that claims Bracco kills penalties on the Marlies lol
Didn't you try to convince people a few days ago that you played in the OHL?

This after you stated that Marner would drop 7-8 spots in a re-draft and that he wouldn't be able to handle top 6 minutes in the NHL.

You've spread enough nonsense on these boards already. Isn't that the reason you had too change your username from @VinceVega?

cc: @exporta - it's always important to know what you're dealing with on these boards. Hope I helped.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I agree with the offensive upside thing, been saying it pretty much since the draft. He's got dynamic evasiveness and killer transition ability, but not the high level IQ to be a true offensive catalyst. A lot of offensive effectiveness from generating zone time and springing the rush, but he's not going to be the guy. I've been projecting/ hoping for the right handed bastard love child of Gardiner and Daley.

Keaton Middleton is no where near as good of prospect, but I still think letting him walk was a mistake. Good upside as a 4-5 DD, and would rather have a legitimate prospect taking reps than Jardine

Reactions: Kiwi and SprDaVE

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Korshkov had a nice goal yesterday.

For the longest time, I was on the "Korhskov > Grundstrom" train.... Korshkov's injury to start this season was the final straw for me... but now having traded Grundstrom, and seeing Korshkov producing... I may just hop back on... ;)

I've always maintained they are similar caliber prospects.

Reactions: WilliamNylander

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
For the longest time, I was on the "Korhskov > Grundstrom" train.... Korshkov's injury to start this season was the final straw for me... but now having traded Grundstrom, and seeing Korshkov producing... I may just hop back on... ;)

I've always maintained they are similar caliber prospects.
My preference has always been Grundstrom but maybe that would have been different if Korshkov remained healthy.

I'm happy to see him producing and hope he signs an ELC once his KHL season is over. Would be great to get him over here and see what he can do in the AHL to end the season.

Reactions: Pyromaniac

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I agree with the offensive upside thing, been saying it pretty much since the draft. He's got dynamic evasiveness and killer transition ability, but not the high level IQ to be a true offensive catalyst. A lot of offensive effectiveness from generating zone time and springing the rush, but he's not going to be the guy. I've been projecting/ hoping for the right handed bastard love child of Gardiner and Daley.

Keaton Middleton is no where near as good of prospect, but I still think letting him walk was a mistake. Good upside as a 4-5 DD, and would rather have a legitimate prospect taking reps than Jardine

A mix of Stralman and Gardiner is what I've said for a while. Not a power house offensively but damn good on the transition and his skating agility can break ankles in the defensive zone to ensure puck possession.

He's not going to be loved by some because he's not some jughead physical monster, but he'll show up damn well on the analytics side because he's so damn good at transitioning and moving the puck up the ice.

EDIT: This shift in the Marlies Calder finals encapsulates everything about Liljegren and what makes him so good:

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I imagine he offered 2 packages.
1st +Durzi and Grund
Or 2nd +Lil and Grund.
So he did pick Durzi over lilj

he picked a 1st over a 2nd in that scenario. There is no way it would be 2nd, Lil + grund anyway. Grundstrom would be out if liljegren was in. More like
1st, Durzi and Grund
OR 2nd, Lil, SDA (some long shot like him)

Durzi is not and will not be close to Liljegern as a prospect. Durzi is also older than liljegren by 6 months too, so if this theory of Liljegren struggling in the AHL holds any weight what does durzi being older and in the OHL say?

Reactions: stickty111

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
A mix of Stralman and Gardiner is what I've said for a while. Not a power house offensively but damn good on the transition and his skating agility can break ankles in the defensive zone to ensure puck possession.

He's not going to be loved by some because he's not some jughead physical monster, but he'll show up damn well on the analytics side because he's so damn good at transitioning and moving the puck up the ice.

EDIT: This shift in the Marlies Calder finals encapsulates everything about Liljegren and what makes him so good:

Always reminded me of Josh Morrisey.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

What a terrific shift.

Reactions: mikelb7 and Morgs

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
I watch the Marlies and I thought Liljegren was growing into the #2 Dman just nicely. He wasn't getting the points but he didn't look out of place and just when he started to heat up Liljegren gets injured, but Dubas all but said if his injury didn't happen he would have gotten a shot to play with the big club this year. Anyone who is down on the player are people / scouts who only stat watch

I see Liljegren as a Gardiner type of player, so it's going to be interesting to see how the fans react to him

On a different note I see Sandin as a Dumba type of player.

Melo Meds

Jul 30, 2018
If Liljegren hadn’t got injured, there wouldn’t be any doubt that he belongs up with the Leafs by this point in the season. That is the only reason I can see why his stock had fallen a bit (a couple of injuries over the last two seasons). Give him the rest of this year, a strong training camp and he’ll be on our roster next year. A young, cost controlled asset with potential for the next three years. This is exactly what a contending team needs to stay competitive.

On a side note, with the emergence of winger prospects like Bracco, Moore (and to a lesser extent Carcone, Marchment and Engvall) we had the depth to make a move without crippling our system. I still think even with the trade we have a middle of the pack farm system, not bad for a contending team with lots of recent graduates.

Our organization has done a terrific job developing and bringing depth players from overseas/finding gems in the NCAA. Our core is locked in place, finding the right supporting pieces (bottom 6 forwards, third pairing D) is an easier job for Dubas and Co. to complete. This is a great time to be a Leafs fan.

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
I would think that they might play together because it’s not like there’s a lot of offensive forwards going to be on the team next year that I can see. I’d also figure Rosen gets a shot on the big club next year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad