Prospect Info: Marlies and Prospects Discussion - 2018/19 Edition V

Status
Not open for further replies.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Can someone tell me if Carcone is a real prospect?

How do you define real?
He's the same age as Engvall and outscoring him, younger than Marchment and scoring at the same pace. But you say, those guys bring size that he doesn't...
Listed the same size as Trevor Moore, one year younger, and outscoring what Moore did last year. Similar kind of energizer bunny player. I caught flack this time last season for talking up Moore as a legitimate prospect and one of our most NHL ready. One downside is the Carcone's ELC is up this season

Reactions: hockeynorth

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
They probably will be top 4 d man.
We cant say Sandin will be better. He is doing well playing sheltered minutes. Lilly is also doing good playing top pair even strength minutes against tough competition.

People are definitely underestimating what Liljegren is being asked to do at his age in what's probably the 2nd best league in the world

All situations, tough QOC, 19 years old, about .5 points a game

He's doing as well as could be reasonably expected as a mid 1st round pick imo

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Meh, I'm happy with Liljegren continually to quietly do his thing and improve his game. Keep the pressure off of him with no spotlight.

Sandin has been exceptional in his role this year and, to his credit, can be considered a better prospect than Lily. But that shouldn't take away that Lily is still tracking quite well in his own right.

I mean if Sandin becomes a solid #2 d-man and Lily becomes a steady #3 or #4, are we really going to complain?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Sandin does show a lot of promise though and will probably be the better of the 2 I think.

He might become better offensively, but that doesn't mean he will be the more valuable D man. But he might be... who knows. Development isn't linear.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

I seriously doubt it. 40 point clip as a 3rd year pro and really his 17pts in 20 games at Utica is the only hint of decent pro scoring ability. Compare him last year to Bracco this year and Bracco is not close to a safe bet to succeed. If he is a center who throws 200 hits a year and is a face off beast the numbers mean a lot less but he is a scoring winger. He may play some games in the NHL so in that sense he is a prospect but he has to find another gear next year and another after that to have a shot a being an NHL semi regular. If you aren't ahead of the league by year two, the chances of being an NHL regular really shrink. So a betting man says no, but some guys have weaknesses they can overcome even as 3-4-5 year pros.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

As people said, depends what you classify as real. Marlies could definitely get a ton of value out of him going forward, even if he does not turn out. He definitely has a ton of skill, and even has a bit of edge.

I think he is good enough to be a depth forward for the Leafs next year. I think the Leafs re-sign him for two years, risk him to waivers (which he'll probably clear) and then see if he can have a Moore-like jump after that if he is given a scoring role full time. If he stayed in the top 6 for all 14 of those games he played for us, he'd probably be pretty close to a PPG, and he'd be in the same breath as Moore as a prospect I think.

For context, Carcone is on a 56-point pace in a full 76 game AHL season this year. Even if you only want to count his Marlies stint, some games in which he spent on the 4th line, he's at over 43 points in 76 games. Andreas Johnsson had 47 in 75 when he was 0.5 years younger, playing in a top 6 role consistently with great support. I think they play similar styles. Small, but ton of energy and skill. Both are defensively responsible as well, but I do not think you expect either of them to be full time PKers/shutdown guys either.

You could argue the same thing about Timashov too really. Very similar prospects. Timashov is a lot more streaky than either of them, and he's not as good defensively. I think the Leafs end up trading him this year while he still has some value. Carcone has passed him, and I think the Leafs have other prospects they want to try out.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Take from this what you will
McGregor played on the 6th, 2 points in a 4-3 OT loss.
In the following 6 games he missed the Sting went 1-5, outscored 14-31
In the 3 games since his return 2-1, 18-10

Caveat, Ruzicka was traded away at that time as well

Reactions: Pyromaniac

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
Sheldon Keefe was on Leafs Lunch and said Sandin's status has been upgraded from week-to-week to day-to-day...Said he won't be playing this weekend but shouldn't be too long (if I remember the wording correctly)...Said Liljegren is practicing fully now and doesn't expect him to be much longer either although he qualified that with mention that high ankle sprains are tricky. They aren't going to rush either back though and will make sure they are good to go...I'm surmising 'next' weekend for Sandin and possibly the same for Liljegren or soon after...

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Sheldon Keefe was on Leafs Lunch and said Sandin's status has been upgraded from week-to-week to day-to-day...Said he won't be playing this weekend but shouldn't be too long (if I remember the wording correctly)...Said Liljegren is practicing fully now and doesn't expect him to be much longer either although he qualified that with mention that high ankle sprains are tricky. They aren't going to rush either back though and will make sure they are good to go...I'm surmising 'next' weekend for Sandin and possibly the same for Liljegren or soon after...
He had some nice words about Bracco a well.

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
Take from this what you will
McGregor played on the 6th, 2 points in a 4-3 OT loss.
In the following 6 games he missed the Sting went 1-5, outscored 14-31
In the 3 games since his return 2-1, 18-10

Caveat, Ruzicka was traded away at that time as well

Hopefully they sign him.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
It's all good, I deserve an ass kicking sometimes :thumbu:

giphy.gif

Reactions: Kiwi

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
A goal for SDA tonight, his sixth of the season. Another assist for Hollowel

Madic

May 21, 2008
Mac Hollowell with the first star -- again -- despite only statistically touting a secondary assist. What gives? Do they play him a ton, any OHL icetime stats out there?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
This is terrible news. I think the Leafs/Marlies will get a LW AHL player in the next couple weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad