Rumor: Markstrom Destination? - Calgary showing Significant Interest

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
too much. that would make him a top 5 AAV in the league, up there with rask, and more than hellybuck.

Hes good, but he aint that good.

That’s what happens when you go shopping in the UFA market, you have to overpay to land the player as there’s multiple teams after him. You’re not going to sign him for a fair deal.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
I think Markstrom would be solid for Calgary! Personally, I don’t want the Canucks to re-sign him as he’s 31 for next season and his new contract will likely be 6+ Million with many years attached to it. Canucks should look for a solid veteran backup to help Demko.

If Markstrom comes to Calgary, I wouldn't be shocked if Talbot ends up in Van

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
I could see Calgary being a good fit for Marky but if I’m Benning,I’d be trying to trade his rights to an Eastern Conference team so we don’t have to face him multiple times a year then possibly in the playoffs as well.
Agreed. Yay! We agree!! :thumbu::nucks:yo:

Reactions: platotld

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Unless the Flames shore up their defense, Markstrom isn't going to make a difference. I think the Flames should rebuild. Trading for Demko would make more sense.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Vancouver can lock him up probably 5.5 million Vancouver discount.

UFA I think he can get more via fielding multiple offers at a time.

Now lets say Colorado and Calgary sends him offers. Where the heck would you rather play, both teams offering the same amount and terms.

also how the heck are Lindholm and Markstrom friends? via what?

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
shrug.jpg

Not really sure how I feel about this. I'm not comfortable giving big money and term to a goalie, especially in the COVID-era cap world.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Potential teams Markstrom can go to

Calgary Flames :flames
Colorado Avalanche.:avs
Chicago Blackhawks as Crawford is a UFA:hawks
Detroit as Howard is a UFA. :wings
Philly has one goalie locked up in Carter Hart. :flyers
Carolina Hurricanes. Carolina Hurricanes have 2 goalies that will be UFA at the end of 2021, both make 3 million they might be a team planning for further down the road?:canes
Toronto. There is reason to believe Dubas plans to do more NHL 2020 stuff by thinking he can "trade number 1 goalie" for :leafsassets" then fixing his problem by "signing number 1 goalie" Number 1 goalie beaning andersson, and signing goalie Markstrom who are similar age.
Buffalo. Buffalo has Carter Hutton whois contract will end by 2021, however have no other goalie right now. :sabres
Washington Capitals will be in the market for a new goalie if they don't sign Holtby or if they don't have a goalie comping up the pipeline.:caps
Vancouver Canucks. Jim Benning made it clear he wants to keep Markstrom, sign Tanev and Toffoli. Will make trades for it.

so there we have it, potential teams for Markstrom :nucks

Best bet for us is trading is rights today to the highest bidder.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
shrug.jpg

Not really sure how I feel about this. I'm not comfortable giving big money and term to a goalie, especially in the COVID-era cap world.

this could be said for any player of any position right now. this is my guess of why St.Louis ownership probably making them let go of Petriangelo.

Reactions: platotld

platotld

Fly Canucks Fly
Jun 18, 2014
Fraser valley
How to put this, I love the canucks. I love Marky, but Pat Morris can kiss my tail feathers and if he wants to much and protection then Burke can drive him to the
airport.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013

Calgary Flames :flames
Colorado Avalanche.:avs
Chicago Blackhawks as Crawford is a UFA:hawks
Detroit as Howard is a UFA. :wings
Carolina Hurricanes. Carolina Hurricanes have 2 goalies that will be UFA at the end of 2021, both make 3 million they might be a team planning for further down the road?:canes
Toronto. There is reason to believe Dubas plans to do more NHL 2020 stuff by thinking he can "trade number 1 goalie" for :leafsassets" then fixing his problem by "signing number 1 goalie" Number 1 goalie beaning andersson, and signing goalie Markstrom who are similar age.
Buffalo. Buffalo has Carter Hutton whois contract will end by 2021, however have no other goalie right now. :sabres
Washington Capitals will be in the market for a new goalie if they don't sign Holtby or if they don't have a goalie comping up the pipeline.:caps
Vancouver Canucks. Jim Benning made it clear he wants to keep Markstrom, sign Tanev and Toffoli. Will make trades for it.

so there we have it, potential teams for Markstrom :nucks

Washington isn't wanting to pay Holtby, so they won't pay Markstrom. Philly isn't spending on on a backup and I don't see Toronto unless they trade Freddie first. I also don't see why Detroit would do it at this point in their rebuild. There isn't a ton of realistic suitors, which might bring the price down

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Calgary, Edmonton, Detroit, Buffalo, Colorado, Toronto, Carolina, Chicago seems to be the most logical destinations... aside from the most obvious being Vancouver.

Yog S'loth

Sep 7, 2005
Southern California
Who on earth is going to get into a bidding war for a goalie that's 30 years old and barely has 270 GP and very pedestrian numbers?

You'll get 2-3 quality years out of him as a reasonable, middle-of-the-pack starting goaltender... and then what? 4 more years of his new teams's fans desperately trying to include him in every trade proposal.

Reactions: Bond and Canuck86

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Who on earth is going to get into a bidding war for a goalie that's 30 years old and barely has 270 GP and very pedestrian numbers?

You'll get 2-3 quality years out of him as a reasonable, middle-of-the-pack starting goaltender... and then what? 4 more years of his new teams's fans desperately trying to include him in every trade proposal.
He’s better than a middle of the pack starter... but with that said I can see teams front loading a contract. He will get 5yrs I bet. Desperate times calls for desperate measures! It’s like every other free agency some player(s) get over paid. Marky is arguably the best goalie available this off season.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

For many teams, they have 3 years window anyways, at which point they go full rebuild and who they have in net doesn't matter. I'd say that's the case in Calgary for sure. 3 years of solid goaltending is worth a lot to many teams.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

The Flyers are not going after Markstrom when they have Hart as their #1 goalie and after Hart was:

2.23 GAA and .926 SV% in the playoffs.

They need a 1-2 year vet back up.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Vancouver can lock him up probably 5.5 million Vancouver discount.

UFA I think he can get more via fielding multiple offers at a time.

Now lets say Colorado and Calgary sends him offers. Where the heck would you rather play, both teams offering the same amount and terms.

also how the heck are Lindholm and Markstrom friends? via what?

That would be an incredible signing for Benning. I am guessing he would want at least 6 years at that hit?

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
I'll leave it to the Hurricanes' fans to explain any long-term cap issues, but if Markstrom won't sign with Vancouver, I suggest trading him to the 'Canes for James Reimer. Reimer has one year left at a cap hit of 3.4 million. Really great guy, decent goalie, would be a good back up for Demko. Reimer is expensive for a back up so perhaps Carolina will agree to throw in a draft pick or take on Baertschi.

Reactions: Canuck86

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
I'll leave it to the Hurricanes' fans to explain any long-term cap issues, but if Markstrom won't sign with Vancouver, I suggest trading him to the 'Canes for James Reimer. Reimer has one year left at a cap hit of 3.4 million. Really great guy, decent goalie, would be a good back up for Demko. Reimer is expensive for a back up so perhaps Carolina will agree to throw in a draft pick or take on Baertschi.

Reimer has ties to Vancouver as well.

His wife and her family are from the Lower Mainland in BC and James has a summer home in Kelowna BC

Last edited:
Reactions: Lupuls Grit

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Love Marky, team MVP and without him the Canucks would be a bottom feeder this season. Alwyas grateful to him too because he allowed this young core to grow up in a competitive culture rather than a toxic losing culture. I think that will be very very cruical for the development.

However, I would only have Marky back under certain condiditons.

1. He doesnt get a NMC. We must be able to expose him to Seattle. Theres no gurantee Seattle would take him but Demko is our future and we have to be able to protect Demko not Marky.

2. Contract length is no longer than 3-4 years.

3. Contract AAV is under 5.75 mil.

If those 3 conditions cant be met then we have to be able to walk away. The fact is he is over 30 and is coming off 2 injuries this season that has caused him to miss significant time. I dont think id want to get into a bidding war for him at this stage in his career.

Im confident that our goalie coach Ian Clarke can turn Demko into a monster like he did for Markstrom and Bobrovsky.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Good. Flames should sign Markstrom so they can blame him for their next playoff round loss

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad