Rumor: Markstrom Destination? - Calgary showing Significant Interest

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Good. Flames should sign Markstrom so they can blame him for their next playoff round loss

As a Canuck fan Id be happy for Marky with that, it would be better than signing with the Oilers and having them blame him for not even making the playoffs like this year.

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
Who on earth is going to get into a bidding war for a goalie that's 30 years old and barely has 270 GP and very pedestrian numbers?

You'll get 2-3 quality years out of him as a reasonable, middle-of-the-pack starting goaltender... and then what? 4 more years of his new teams's fans desperately trying to include him in every trade proposal.
You haven't watch him play the last couple of years have you?

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
Love Marky, team MVP and without him the Canucks would be a bottom feeder this season. Alwyas grateful to him too because he allowed this young core to grow up in a competitive culture rather than a toxic losing culture. I think that will be very very cruical for the development.

However, I would only have Marky back under certain condiditons.

1. He doesnt get a NMC. We must be able to expose him to Seattle. Theres no gurantee Seattle would take him but Demko is our future and we have to be able to protect Demko not Marky.

2. Contract length is no longer than 3-4 years.

3. Contract AAV is under 5.75 mil.

If those 3 conditions cant be met then we have to be able to walk away. The fact is he is over 30 and is coming off 2 injuries this season that has caused him to miss significant time. I dont think id want to get into a bidding war for him at this stage in his career.

Im confident that our goalie coach Ian Clarke can turn Demko into a monster like he did for Markstrom and Bobrovsky.
Why would Markstrom ever sign under those conditions when he can get a contract from another team with longer term, more cash, a NMC and an unquestionable #1 spot for years to come?

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Goaltending has been a bit of an issue for us the past few regular seasons. That said, it certainly has not been the reason we lost in the first round the past 2 seasons. I do like Markstrom. He's an excellent goalie. I'd be happy to sign him at the right term and dollars. I'd be all over him at 4 X 24m.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Why would Markstrom ever sign under those conditions when he can get a contract from another team with longer term, more cash, a NMC and an unquestionable #1 spot for years to come?

I'm not saying he would sign it, im just saying thats what my conditions would be for the Canucks. If he can get more money and longer term with NMC elsewherethen by all means ill be happy for him and i wouldnt blame him one bit.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Markstrom is gonna get PAID if he goes as a UFA and he knows it.
Canucks are gonna let him go I believe.

Reactions: CanadianHawks

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Markstrom is gonna get PAID if he goes as a UFA and he knows it.
Canucks are gonna let him go I believe.
Not to worst news of life... another $6M+ contract on the books for an aging goalie is probably not the best situation for Canucks. I am not opposed to rolling with demko and getting a veteran 1b goalie in the $3M range.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I have no doubt Markstrom NEXT year will be a way better option than Demko.
But the cost controlled style of Demko + being around the same age group as the rest of the team, I think it's time to move on.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Flames are in on Markstrom/Kuemper/Talbot in net and have Rittich still on contract.

I wouldn't be surprised if Treliving has also chatted about Murray, MAF and inquired about Holtby so far at the very least.

Who ends up in net for us? Gary Oldman apparently...

giphy.gif

Seriously though, it sounds like the Flames are going to pay a piper... it's just a question of which one(s).

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
I have no doubt Markstrom NEXT year will be a way better option than Demko.
But the cost controlled style of Demko + being around the same age group as the rest of the team, I think it's time to move on.
I agree. Don’t get me wrong the Canucks with marky (next year) would be better but the cost could be detrimental. And like you said you want the age of your core to be similar so their all peaking around same-ish time (theoretically speaking). Hopefully we can trade his rights for a pick at the very least.

Reactions: Canucks LB

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Not to worst news of life... another $6M+ contract on the books for an aging goalie is probably not the best situation for Canucks. I am not opposed to rolling with demko and getting a veteran 1b goalie in the $3M range.
I totally agree, that at this stage we can't afford him for the contract that he deserves.

However, the reason WHY we can't afford him is irritating and could have easily been avoided by a forward thinking GM. Loui, Ferland, Sutter, Beagle contracts should not have been the reason why you can't re-sign your team MVP.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I agree. Don’t get me wrong the Canucks with marky (next year) would be better but the cost could be detrimental. And like you said you want the age of your core to be similar so their all peaking around same-ish time (theoretically speaking). Hopefully we can trade his rights for a pick at the very least.

Can Weisbrod be manipulated in getting excited about Jankowski's and Gilles' rights?

Most talented if not one of the most talented of that draft... He's Joe Nieuwendyk. :naughty:

NHL draft 2012: Calgary Flames believe Mark Jankowski is steal of first round | National Post

“I can tell you I was in a bad mood — I was driving two and a half hours through snow,” said Weisbrod. “But by the middle of the second period, I was laughing out loud by myself in my seat.

“He’s a long way away, he’s raw, he’s young, he’s still got to cross the crocodile-infested waters and develop properly — like, it’s a long way from draft day to play in the NHL — but the physical attributes this guy has. The athleticism. The skating. The hands. The fact that he’ll likely be playing at six-four, 215. I’ve said it to our scouts all week long — he’s Joe Nieuwendyk.”

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Who on earth is going to get into a bidding war for a goalie that's 30 years old and barely has 270 GP and very pedestrian numbers?

You'll get 2-3 quality years out of him as a reasonable, middle-of-the-pack starting goaltender... and then what? 4 more years of his new teams's fans desperately trying to include him in every trade proposal.
You should have sent your scouting report to the Vezina voters before they voted the ‘middle of the pack starting goalie’ fourth in the Vezina race. :laugh:

Reactions: lawrence

Yog S'loth

Sep 7, 2005
Southern California
You should have sent your scouting report to the Vezina voters before they voted the ‘middle of the pack starting goalie’ fourth in the Vezina race. :laugh:

I admit that's better than I would have thought... but the point on signing 30 year old goaltenders to long-term big-money deals stands.

Nobody can possibly blunder as bad as Montreal did with Price, but I think if you sign a guy like Markstrom to a 7-year-deal, the last few seasons are gonna feel pretty awful.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
I admit that's better than I would have thought... but the point on signing 30 year old goaltenders to long-term big-money deals stands.

Nobody can possibly blunder as bad as Montreal did with Price, but I think if you sign a guy like Markstrom to a 7-year-deal, the last few seasons are gonna feel pretty awful.

As a Detroit fan watching Howard.... Bring the pain.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC

Very few people saying 7 years. Seems the number circulating is closer to 5 years.

Also, goaltenders have a completely different peak than skaters. A good goalie can play past 35. Not sure if Markstrom will continue his elite play from the last 2 years, but this notion of signing a 30 year old over the top injury riddled goaltender is incorrect.

Any team that signs Markstrom to 5 years around 6M won't regret it. He is a complete work horse and Vancouver's backbone for 2 years. Unfortunately our GM is a donkey that has wasted well over 15M in CAP leaving our best players short the money they are owed.

Reactions: bukwas

Ledge And Dairy

Very few people saying 7 years. Seems the number circulating is closer to 5 years.

Also, goaltenders have a completely different peak than skaters. A good goalie can play past 35. Not sure if Markstrom will continue his elite play from the last 2 years, but this notion of signing a 30 year old over the top injury riddled goaltender is incorrect.

Any team that signs Markstrom to 5 years around 6M won't regret it. He is a complete work horse and Vancouver's backbone for 2 years. Unfortunately our GM is a donkey that has wasted well over 15M in CAP leaving our best players short the money they are owed.
Goalies usually dont last into their late 30's so longer than 5 years is a mistake

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->