Rumor: Markstrom Destination? - Calgary showing Significant Interest

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
EDM 4th rounder for Markstrom's UFA rights. Sign him to a 6M x 6 years deal. He'd be protected in the expansion draft, Bernier being a UFA in the summer of 2021.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Flames should just deal Talbot (UFA) and Jankowski (RFA) rights + 5th Rounder for Markstrom (UFA) and Virtanen (RFA) rights.

I’ve assumed that Van is not resigning Virtanen. If they value Virtanen, just take out the 5th and Virtanen.

Talbot is a perfect placeholder for Demko to develop. Talbot would take a 2 year deal with no protection at the 3MM or less level I would assume.

Jankowski is Weisbod’s boy and can fill their bottom 6 center and PK.

Virtanen can play with Doc (Derek Ryan). Doc fixes everyone, and Virtanen has some tools that may work well on his wing.
Jankowski had 5 goals and two assists. Can’t see anyone paying anything for that. Vancouver already has enough overpaid fourth liners. Better off trading Virtanen for an asset or off loading a bad contract than giving him away to Calgary.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yeah would imagine that Hall and Markstrom are at least $14 million combined, Doubt Calgary has the space for both.

They do but their D needs work. Especially the RD side! If they ignore their team D for offense and bring in Hall, Markstrom won't be able to shelter the team D flaws like they think he can.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
I don't think so. It is naive to think that intermediaries haven't been used before. The league can't control friendships or the grapevine. Calgary wouldn't directly approach Markstrom, but could indirectly convey their interest.
Yes and I’m not disagreeing with that, but that won’t affect if they trade a mid round pick for his rights or not.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Fair, but I'm pretty sure we'd talk to Lindholm and ask him to poke around and be certain Markstrom is like 95% willing to consider with Calgary as a definite finalist before acquiring his rights and hammering out the final details of a deal.

No way we throw assets like a 4th at Markstrom for him to potentially walk anyways, it's not just a waste of assets, but time. The only way we acquire his rights and potentially have him walk is if we give you assets that are similar risk to you (ie: Jon Gilles and Mark Jankowski's rights for Jacob Markstrom's rights).
I agree with that forsure

Reactions: Fig

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Jankowski had 5 goals and two assists. Can’t see anyone paying anything for that. Vancouver already has enough overpaid fourth liners. Better off trading Virtanen for an asset or off loading a bad contract than giving him away to Calgary.
You know its not unknown to the hockey world for a player to have a bad year. Previous to this past year Jankowski's first two seasons in the league saw:

2017-18 72 GP 17G 8A 25 PTS
2018-19 79 GP 14G 18A 32 PTS

And this was playing with some lesser lights at the time.

No, I disagree. Jankowski still has value and still has upside. He badly needs to get his confidence back though after this down year.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Stevie Y is a very smart GM. I just don’t see him giving that much term to Markstrom. I can see the six per, but not for 6 years. Sure sounds like Marky is hunting fir the most money he can get though.
yeah sounds like he'll have alot of team bidding for his services. May be able to demand the 6 years with the way it looks like it is shaping up.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
yeah sounds like he'll have alot of team bidding for his services. May be able to demand the 6 years with the way it looks like it is shaping up.
I could see a team like the the Flames, where the
GM is really in the hot seat, giving Marky bigger dollars and longer term. That GM needs to win now, or he’s done. Stevie Y is at the start of his rebuild. He isn’t under the same pressure to win or be fired. Calgary might even go 6.5 or 7 times six years.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I could see a team like the the Flames, where the
GM is really in the hot seat, giving Marky bigger dollars and longer term. That GM needs to win now, or he’s done. Stevie Y is at the start of his rebuild. He isn’t under the same pressure to win or be fired. Calgary might even go 6.5 or 7 times six years.

giphy.gif

We will skewer Treliving for handing that to Holtby, let alone Markstrom. No appetite from most Flames fans to give Holtby term. We'd give term to Markstrom, but not high salary. Not to mention we have a thing loosely called the Gio Cap and I think the Treliving negotiates salaries with players based on a theoretical comparison to the contributions they make to the team vs Gio. Tkachuk is the only player to exceed Gio's 6.75 AAV @ 7.

I could see Treliving tapping out at 5.25 AAV and maybe 4-5 years. No NMC, modified NTC 10 teams (No one has more than that on the Flames except Gio who has 15 teams I think and Treliving didn't do the Lucic contract) and guaranteed protection in the ED. If others outbid that, we're out.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I could see Treliving tapping out at 5.25 AAV and maybe 4-5 years. No NMC, modified NTC 10 teams (No one has more than that on the Flames except Gio who has 15 teams I think and Treliving didn't do the Lucic contract) and guaranteed protection in the ED. If others outbid that, we're out.

If Markstrom we’re willing to accept that he’d likely already be signed by Vancouver.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
giphy.gif

We will skewer Treliving for handing that to Holtby, let alone Markstrom. No appetite from most Flames fans to give Holtby term. We'd give term to Markstrom, but not high salary. Not to mention we have a thing loosely called the Gio Cap and I think the Treliving negotiates salaries with players based on a theoretical comparison to the contributions they make to the team vs Gio. Tkachuk is the only player to exceed Gio's 6.75 AAV @ 7.

Is that Kim Jong-un?

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
If the Canucks can't get him signed soon, I really hope we can recover a mid round pick by shipping him to Detroit then.

Or anywhere.

And tell him that we can chat after free agency opens if he still wants to come back.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
You know its not unknown to the hockey world for a player to have a bad year. Previous to this past year Jankowski's first two seasons in the league saw:

2017-18 72 GP 17G 8A 25 PTS
2018-19 79 GP 14G 18A 32 PTS

And this was playing with some lesser lights at the time.

No, I disagree. Jankowski still has value and still has upside. He badly needs to get his confidence back though after this down year.
Sure players have bad years. But 7 points isn’t just bad. It’s terrible. And we’ve got too many plugs in the bottom six as it is. We don’t need another.
I’d trade Markstroms rights to Calgary but not interested in Jankowski at all.
As I said if Virtanen is moved it should be for a young D or to unload a bad contract. So take out the fifth and Virtanen for sure. He will get a much better return than that coming off a season on pace for over 20 goals.

Last edited:

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Petro isn't signing in Calgary, And Markstrom will probably want more then what Treliving is willing to pay. If rumors are true that Yzerman is willing to offer Markstrom 6x6 doubt Treliving beats that or matches it.

I expect Petro signs back in St. Louis, but I don't see why we'd have zero chance if he doesn't. Obviously unlikely, but LeBrun mentioning us as a possible destination means something. We have need and some cap space.

I also agree that Flames don't want to do 6x6. I think we are a more attractive team at the moment, so we might still get Markstrom for less if winning is part of what he wants. I have no idea why Detroit evens wants that deal. No reason to have a goalie make you artificially better at this point in a rebuild and could get worse/be a bad contract by the time they want to contend

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site

Wait a minute, you think Holtby is more worthy and more likely to get a big contract with term? over Jacob Markstrom? That's crazy talk. Markstrom will get a contract that will surprise people from the Flames or someone else. Then this time next year they can come on here and brag about how good he is once they've actually seen him play. Markstrom has become a game changer in net, in front of a bad defense. At the moment he is on a much different level than Holtby. They are going to be completely different contracts.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad