Rumor: Markstrom Destination? - Calgary showing Significant Interest

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Vancouver won't give him expansion draft protection a year out from the draft? Then why not just let him go then and keep Demko. I thought the plan was to re-sign Markstrom, and either not protect Demko or make a small trade to keep Seattle from taking him.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
To me, Vancouver's position is pretty easy to figure out.

Ideally, they'd love to run markstrom and demko for a few years longer, but the expansion draft means they need to decide on one or the other by next summer. A nmc would result in the decision being made right now.

Nobody rational thinks demko is better than markstrom now. But demko should be expected to improve on his rookie season, and showed incredible poise in his 3 games in their playoffs.

At some point over the next few seasons there a good chance demko becomes the better goalie. If the decision has to be made now, and the minimum term is 4 years, demko may be a better choice. If there minimum term is 5 or 6 years (all of which should be prime years for Hughes and pettersson), I think demko is clearly worth the gamble.

The fact that not signing markstrom goes a long way to resolving the teams' cap issues is an important factor as well.

I think they hoped Demko would steal the job, but that unfortunately for them didn't happen, so keeping Markstrom is their best case scenario to me.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Man, it would be a kicker to see Markstrom doing well with the Flames and Demko crash and burn on the Canucks. Not only would Vancouver suffer from having shit G on a gamble but they also just gifted their divisional rivals a top 10 G from this year.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Man, it would be a kicker to see Markstrom doing well with the Flames and Demko crash and burn on the Canucks. Not only would Vancouver suffer from having shit G on a gamble but they also just gifted their divisional rivals a top 10 G from this year.

If it happens it happens. You can't be scared about that, leaving you to give in to his demands. The team as a whole has seen Demko develop and if they believe Ian Clark can continue to develop him into a #1 then you take that chance.

Also, no guarantees that he ends up in Calgary. Markstrom may want more term than another G who is a UFA to be or a G on a team with term that might be available. We shall see in time what happens...

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Vancouver won't give him expansion draft protection a year out from the draft? Then why not just let him go then and keep Demko. I thought the plan was to re-sign Markstrom, and either not protect Demko or make a small trade to keep Seattle from taking him.
Goalie is the Canucks best position for Seattle to take from as the roster stands today.

on D, Hughes is exempt. Canucks would protect 3 of Juolevi, Myers, Rafferty, Brisebois, and depending on if they extend Tanev and Stecher. Nothing to see there.

At F, Petey, Miller, Brock, Horvat, get protected. Then 3 spots to decide on Gaudette, Virtanen, maybe Lind but not sure if he is exempt or not.

so if Seattle won’t take a goalie there’s not much else to choose from.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
As a Flames fan, I'd love to have Markstrom. Take him off Vancouver and can always use more Swedes.

But no way am I giving him big dollars AND term. Goalies don't have the leverage in a goalie heavy market like this. And with any goalie their play can fall off quick.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
As a Flames fan, I'd love to have Markstrom. Take him off Vancouver and can always use more Swedes.

But no way am I giving him big dollars AND term. Goalies don't have the leverage in a goalie heavy market like this. And with any goalie their play can fall off quick.
To be fair, they have as much leverage as the next best offer.

I think he's likely to get 6-7m AAV and 5-7 years, but it's really hard to tell.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
To be fair, they have as much leverage as the next best offer.

I think he's likely to get 6-7m AAV and 5-7 years, but it's really hard to tell.

I think in a normal year he gets that. I just don't know if this year is that year. What teams are going to be spending that kind of coin on a goalie in this market? I think a team would be stupid to overpay when there's so many choices out there, and so little cap around the league to be spent.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
If I'm the Canucks, I offer Markstrom a 3 year deal with no protection for around $5 million. If he leaves, then he leaves and you go with Demko but sign a capable backup around the $3 million mark for a year or two. Someone like a Holtby who had an off-year (though he would probably be wanting a higher contract and more playing time) or Griess.

It would suck to go up against him if he moves within the division but I think the Canucks need to show some faith in Demko and give him about 40-50 starts this year.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Flashback of Bobrovsky last year who actually have a decent track record with two vezinas. Overpaying goalies has never been a great idea.

buyers beware.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Flashback of Bobrovsky last year who actually have a decent track record with two vezinas. Overpaying goalies has never been a great idea.

buyers beware.

You really think Markstrom will be given some big contract like 8m+?

He’s a very good goalie and would love the Flames to sign him with term at 5.5m or under

Reactions: lawrence

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
You really think Markstrom will be given some big contract like 8m+?

He’s a very good goalie and would love the Flames to sign him with term at 5.5m or under
Marky will get minimum 6 per and five years on the open market.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
What is he likely to get ??? 6 x 5 is my guess, putting him just under John Gibson's AAV. He has similar numbers to Freddie Andersens in Anaheim before the signed a 5 by 5 in TO.

Flames would be crazy to not offer that. The fact he would come from VAN would be that much more satisfying. Imagine, flames sign Markstom from Van and then Hall. Man, talk about stoking a fire. lets goooo

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
I’d offer him 7mil x 5 from the Flames. Not sure that gets it done but definitely worth a shot.
too much. that would make him a top 5 AAV in the league, up there with rask, and more than hellybuck.

Hes good, but he aint that good.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I think Markstrom would be solid for Calgary! Personally, I don’t want the Canucks to re-sign him as he’s 31 for next season and his new contract will likely be 6+ Million with many years attached to it. Canucks should look for a solid veteran backup to help Demko.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luckylarry

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad