Rumor: Markstrom Destination? - Calgary showing Significant Interest

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Goalies usually dont last into their late 30's so longer than 5 years is a mistake

It's very unlikely; However, if you take a goalie and forward/defenseman of relatively the same skill level, the goalie will most likely play at a later age. The nature of the position has a different wear and tear on the body.

I'm not saying Markstrom will play well at 37 I'm saying signing Markstrom 5 years won't be a mistake because of his age.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Joel Edmundson just got a 5th I believe.
My bad. Thought it was a 7th. Still I don't Calgary would get into that. They'd know via the grapevine (Lindholm) if there was interest by Markstrom and by the same token I'm sure Markstrom would know of Calgary interest. That wouldn't stop another team another team from trading a 5th to have a go at it though.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
There would be a lot of interest in Markstrom for sure. He managed to get the Canucks into the play-ins and followed that up with getting them into the playoffs.
That was no small feat.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Markstrom was fourth in Vezina voting. A number of teams were sunk by bad goaltending this year and are looking to upgrade. Van should definitely pick up a decent pick for his rights if they determine they can't sign him.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Agreed! I’m leaning towards a Georgie, as I think he’d be the easier one acquire

I just think whoever signs Markstrom will regret it a few years from now and we’ve had bad luck with our goalie squad
I'm hoping that Stevie Y is talking to Gorton about Georgiev he just makes to much sense, I'd give them the Caps 2nd and a 2021 3rd rounder for him or include Cholowski if Yzerman feels that he has no future with us.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
My bad. Thought it was a 7th. Still I don't Calgary would get into that. They'd know via the grapevine (Lindholm) if there was interest by Markstrom and by the same token I'm sure Markstrom would know of Calgary interest. That wouldn't stop another team another team from trading a 5th to have a go at it though.
Lindholm has nothing to do with whether or not they would trade for his rights. Even if Markstrom is interested in Calgary they can't talk to him any earlier than any other team so the Markstrom-Lindholm relationship is irrelevant.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Lindholm has nothing to do with whether or not they would trade for his rights. Even if Markstrom is interested in Calgary they can't talk to him any earlier than any other team so the Markstrom-Lindholm relationship is irrelevant.

Not true.

Discussion with Peters and other players was a facet used by the Flames to determine if Lindholm and Hanifin should be acquired. Asking Lindholm whether it would be a good idea to acquire Markstrom and using it as part of their due diligence is not out of the ordinary. Many other GMs have taken this approach too and it has reflected in certain interviews over the years. If anything, it's basically the minimum teams are probably doing because it's the closest to actually chatting with the player about joining the org without actually talking to the player. We wondered if this is why certain organizations love acquiring buddies of roster players.

I'm not saying that the Flames are playing dirty in trying to woo Markstrom early though, but if they are interested they are definitely using all tools possible to glean information before UFA period.

On the Flames forum, we had a discussion and we don't know what actually constitutes as tampering (not Markstrom, just in general). Benning was slapped on the wrist for openly talking about targeting PK Subban and Stamkos a few years ago and it was actually kinda innocuous. Agents release info about negotiations to put pressure on the team in negotiations and nothing literally happens. It seems you can't talk about your interest in other players, but gleaning information about other players' interest in your seems via indirect means to be allowed? It also seems similar to how NCAA players cannot freely communicate with the club that drafted them due to NCAA rules, but there always seems like there's a deep understanding of what's going to happen before it does (likely via an "indirect" method of communication).

There's also always seemingly one or two dudes that know they will be signing a contract with a different team for an exact amount as of 00:01 of the beginning of negotiation period. We don't know how that happens and how it works and why a team would bother trading for rights to get a leg up if that's the case, but there definitely seems to be some type of back door at times that allows a team to scoop up a player earlier than normal from time to time.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'm hoping that Stevie Y is talking to Gorton about Georgiev he just makes to much sense, I'd give them the Caps 2nd and a 2021 3rd rounder for him or include Cholowski if Yzerman feels that he has no future with us.

I wouldn't give up that much draft capital for him, there are better goalies on the scrap heap shortly or that can be had for cheaper in deals. We shouldn't be parting with a second rounder unless it is to move up or get some sort of cap dump and legitimate higher end prospect or younger player.

Reactions: SirloinUB

NoSoup4U

Sep 22, 2020
He is going to get paid for sure, with the status of the flames, not sure the timing is right for them to get involved in a bidding war.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
He is going to get paid for sure, with the status of the flames, not sure the timing is right for them to get involved in a bidding war.

Yeah, there's tons of options out there. I'd love Markstrom as a Flames fan, but I don't want to overpay for anyone. It feels like there are plenty of goalies out there, and less teams than goalies. So you should be able to get someone at a decent price

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Not true.

Discussion with Peters and other players was a facet used by the Flames to determine if Lindholm and Hanifin should be acquired. Asking Lindholm whether it would be a good idea to acquire Markstrom and using it as part of their due diligence is not out of the ordinary. Many other GMs have taken this approach too and it has reflected in certain interviews over the years. If anything, it's basically the minimum teams are probably doing because it's the closest to actually chatting with the player about joining the org without actually talking to the player. We wondered if this is why certain organizations love acquiring buddies of roster players.

I'm not saying that the Flames are playing dirty in trying to woo Markstrom early though, but if they are interested they are definitely using all tools possible to glean information before UFA period.

On the Flames forum, we had a discussion and we don't know what actually constitutes as tampering (not Markstrom, just in general). Benning was slapped on the wrist for openly talking about targeting PK Subban and Stamkos a few years ago and it was actually kinda innocuous. Agents release info about negotiations to put pressure on the team in negotiations and nothing literally happens. It seems you can't talk about your interest in other players, but gleaning information about other players' interest in your seems via indirect means to be allowed? It also seems similar to how NCAA players cannot freely communicate with the club that drafted them due to NCAA rules, but there always seems like there's a deep understanding of what's going to happen before it does (likely via an "indirect" method of communication).

There's also always seemingly one or two dudes that know they will be signing a contract with a different team for an exact amount as of 00:01 of the beginning of negotiation period. We don't know how that happens and how it works and why a team would bother trading for rights to get a leg up if that's the case, but there definitely seems to be some type of back door at times that allows a team to scoop up a player earlier than normal from time to time.
Gotcha I Understand what you’re saying! However, that doesn’t change the fact that the cost of Markstrom’s rights would be around a 4th and I’m sure Calgary would give that up to secure him.

Reactions: Fig

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I don't think so. It is naive to think that intermediaries haven't been used before. The league can't control friendships or the grapevine. Calgary wouldn't directly approach Markstrom, but could indirectly convey their interest.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Gotcha I Understand what you’re saying! However, that doesn’t change the fact that the cost of Markstrom’s rights would be around a 4th and I’m sure Calgary would give that up to secure him.

Fair, but I'm pretty sure we'd talk to Lindholm and ask him to poke around and be certain Markstrom is like 95% willing to consider with Calgary as a definite finalist before acquiring his rights and hammering out the final details of a deal.

No way we throw assets like a 4th at Markstrom for him to potentially walk anyways, it's not just a waste of assets, but time. The only way we acquire his rights and potentially have him walk is if we give you assets that are similar risk to you (ie: Jon Gilles and Mark Jankowski's rights for Jacob Markstrom's rights).

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
well..... there's no flipping we they are going to expose Demko to Seattle.... Also Edler and Myers also don't have expansion draft protection so Benning have already been signing players to no expansion protection .

Van could always trade a 3rd or 2nd to Seattle to take on Myers?

*OvechKiN*

Nov 29, 2005
Flames should just deal Talbot (UFA) and Jankowski (RFA) rights + 5th Rounder for Markstrom (UFA) and Virtanen (RFA) rights.

I’ve assumed that Van is not resigning Virtanen. If they value Virtanen, just take out the 5th and Virtanen.

Talbot is a perfect placeholder for Demko to develop. Talbot would take a 2 year deal with no protection at the 3MM or less level I would assume.

Jankowski is Weisbod’s boy and can fill their bottom 6 center and PK.

Virtanen can play with Doc (Derek Ryan). Doc fixes everyone, and Virtanen has some tools that may work well on his wing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad