Rumor: Markstrom Destination? - Calgary showing Significant Interest

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Canucks trying to move salary tho, I would drop the condition and just get a 5-7th rounder back if a team was willing to take Sven or Sutter back along with JM rights
No one is going to take on salary just for a couple weeks of negotiation rights of a player. We’d be lucky to get more than a 5th if we were to trade markstrom today by himself with no contract

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
No one is going to take on salary just for a couple weeks of negotiation rights of a player. We’d be lucky to get more than a 5th if we were to trade markstrom today by himself with no contract

Not necessarily. For a team like Detroit, taking on Baertschi or Sutter means nothing. They aren't a playoff team and neither has longer than a year left. There's a good chance Detroit could deploy either in a bigger role just to inflate their value and get an asset back at the deadline. Say they take Sutter, pump him up a bit throughout the year and hold 50% at next year's deadline. They'll easily get a team to bit and offer a third; maybe a second if Sutter really turns it around.

Not saying it will happen. But it's not quite cut and dry. Vancouver would definitely need to have a conditional pick in place though. That way Detroit still gets something if Markstrom didn't sign.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Not necessarily. For a team like Detroit, taking on Baertschi or Sutter means nothing. They aren't a playoff team and neither has longer than a year left. There's a good chance Detroit could deploy either in a bigger role just to inflate their value and get an asset back at the deadline. Say they take Sutter, pump him up a bit throughout the year and hold 50% at next year's deadline. They'll easily get a team to bit and offer a third; maybe a second if Sutter really turns it around.

Not saying it will happen. But it's not quite cut and dry. Vancouver would definitely need to have a conditional pick in place though. That way Detroit still gets something if Markstrom didn't sign.
Give me one example of a trade where a team has taken on a bad contract just for the negotiation rights to a UFA. Not even done that and given up a pick in return, just take on a year of an unwanted contract for rights to negotiate with a ufa a few weeks prior to the fa period. I’m even ignoring the current world situation where most teams are looking to shed $$ due to covid

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
Demko was extremely average during the regular season and struggled when Markstrom was hurt. I’d be a little apprehensive about naming him the starter based on 3 great games.

What's the alternative? Markstrom was arguably the only piece separating us from being a bottom 5 team. I don't think any rational Canucks fan wants to see him go. Having him for another couple years would be absolutely ideal. The obvious problem is the Canucks can't afford what he is fairly asking for and they have a good prospect in demko who makes the Markstrom decision even more complicated. Hopefully demko turns out to be half the goalie Markstrom is but that's a risk. It's also a risk to let the promising (and cheap) prospect go and give a long term big money deal to a 31 year old goalie. They will also lose at least 1-2 other good pieces to be able to afford Markstrom, so not only do you risk Markstrom not living up to a long term deal and creating even more dead cap space (which we apparently love doing anyway) but you compromise the depth of the rest of your team as well.

Shitty spot for the Canucks to be in.

It's a risk either way but because of the cap situation the Canucks kind of have to run with demko and hope his "3 great games" are signs that he's ready.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Quite frankly a good, old UFA goalie is the last thing Detroit needs. A young goalie that won't get protected in the expansion draft, like Georgiev, makes a lot of sense. But taking on an older goalie when the team won't be playing meaningful hockey for a few years, stealing games and artificially improving Detroit's finish for a few years, only to see them decline and be a contract anchor right when the team is ready to compete would be the worst case possible IMO.

Now, if you want to attach a significant asset along with a bad contract or two, and throw in Markstrom's UFA rights, then that might make sense.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Calgary makes alot of sense.

Strong team, lots of Swedes, Lindholm and Markstrom are very close and the flames have been chasing a long term solution since Kipper.

5 years 5.5-6 mil with a NTC is probably what it will take ( based on recent rumors with Lehner). I would be open to that 100%.
If reports are true out of Van, the ask is 7 yrs $50 million and he will want a nmc not a no trade clause. $5.5 x 5 he would already be signed in Van

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Canucks trying to move salary tho, I would drop the condition and just get a 5-7th rounder back if a team was willing to take Sven or Sutter back along with JM rights

You can't include conditions on draft picks anymore based on if a player re-signs or not anyway.

From the new CBA: Teams will no longer be allowed to include conditions in trades that involve the future signing of the player to a new contract.

Reactions: archimet

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
If you have a NMC you have to be protected unless you choose to waive. Edler's contract ends after expansion since expansion takes place before the 2021 draft. He can choose to waive thoush since selecting him is pointless if he just walks back to VAN a week later at FA

You don’t select a UFAs

Seattle can negotiate with the UFA and sign him. That counts as the player selected from team Y.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
I wouldn't offer Marky more than 5 by 5, history books say that whoever signs him over 7M will be looking to dump him in 2 years.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Markstrom will have interest, but there is also a few other G out there, some may not get the term or as high a cap hit. If the rumour of Lehner and 5m x 5yrs is true I don't see why marky should get more...

Holtby is available, among some other G's so he may get some term 4-6 years max I would think but what might be most important to him is get a NMC

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The reality is that in a flat cap world it’s a bad time to be hitting free agency. Markstrom and the other top free agents are just going to have to accept that.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
No interest in legacy contracts from a Nucks fan perspective.

Demko is the guy who will grow with the core not a almost 31 yr old with bad knees and 3 yrs of excellent goaltending to his credit.

I love Marky but if he's looking to put the Canucks over a barrel and have the team lose cap flexibility (Tanev or replacement), Demko and blow the chances of winning during the prime of the core he can find that deal elsewhere.

Injured 2 of the last 3 yrs at critical times and had all sorts of knee problems back in Florida. I'm not trying to negate the fact he is a top goalie and i'm not saying he's broken down but there is a lot to consider.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
The reality is that in a flat cap world it’s a bad time to be hitting free agency. Markstrom and the other top free agents are just going to have to accept that.

True but I don't think that's a blanket statement that applies to every free agent. I have no doubt that there are teams lining up and willing to go to a bidding war for security in net in the calibre of Markstrom. I would bet teams are willing to hand out some term and NMC to him that the Canucks wont.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
True but I don't think that's a blanket statement that applies to every free agent. I have no doubt that there are teams lining up and willing to go to a bidding war for security in net in the calibre of Markstrom. I would bet teams are willing to hand out some term and NMC to him that the Canucks wont.
I think people are going to be surprised at the amount these guys sign for. And not on the high side. Most teams will need to move out cap to make it work and that’s going to be more expensive than ever this year.
And while Markstrom is of high caliber he’s also 30 years old and has been injured the last couple of years.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Markstrom will get a decent contract, not as high as some expect in my opinion but could likely sign and get a NMC. So maybe he takes a bit less $ or 1 year less term for NMC security.

Assume a team will offer him 5 year @ 6m per with a NMC to get it done, maybe could get him for 5.5-5.75m even?

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Its a flat cap world and no gate revenue until who knows when. Theres always a GM willing to spend but I wonder how many potential deals will get rejected by owners who are looking big losses coming up. They arent in business to loose $$$$

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
No interest in legacy contracts from a Nucks fan perspective.

Demko is the guy who will grow with the core not a almost 31 yr old with bad knees and 3 yrs of excellent goaltending to his credit.

I love Marky but if he's looking to put the Canucks over a barrel and have the team lose cap flexibility (Tanev or replacement), Demko and blow the chances of winning during the prime of the core he can find that deal elsewhere.

Injured 2 of the last 3 yrs at critical times and had all sorts of knee problems back in Florida. I'm not trying to negate the fact he is a top goalie and i'm not saying he's broken down but there is a lot to consider.

My thoughts as well.

Love Marky and would be happy for him to get paid however I hope it's with another team. I would be very weary of signing him to a $6-7M deal at term considering his age and injury history.

I would be much more inclined to roll the dice with Demko and a suitable 1b and free the cap space up to keep the roster together. With the flat cap and current economic state of the league, team's should be even more cautious of these types of contracts.

Bond

May 10, 2012
If reports are true out of Van, the ask is 7 yrs $50 million and he will want a nmc not a no trade clause. $5.5 x 5 he would already be signed in Van
Any team that signs him to that contract would sure regret it.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Give me one example of a trade where a team has taken on a bad contract just for the negotiation rights to a UFA. Not even done that and given up a pick in return, just take on a year of an unwanted contract for rights to negotiate with a ufa a few weeks prior to the fa period. I’m even ignoring the current world situation where most teams are looking to shed $$ due to covid

Because something hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it never will. Not sure what the highest value for a UFA rights has been but 3rd rounders have been traded a couple of times, so you're getting into the ballpark of a low end salary dump. As Martkstrom is a top tier UFA, if a team like Detroit really wants him and we're only talking about a dump like Baerstchi who should still be a decent NHL player it's perfectly feasible that they could take him for Markstrom's rights. Furthermore, if you're GM is a shrewd negotiator and has a UFA a lot of teams want the rights to they could buck the trend by saying they'll only deal if you take a contract.

Maybe the closest deal in nature here was when Detroit traded down with Arizona when they selected Chychrun. Detroit traded the #16 for the #20 and the #53, a pretty standard trade down... but Arizona also took Datsyuk's cap hit (salary covered by insurance) in the deal. Prior to this I don't think you could say anyone's ever made a cup dump part of a trade up/down before?

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I agree that demko was incredibly spectacular for that 3 game stretch but was, otherwise, below average throughout the season.
Markstrom Has a proven track record and was one of the biggest reasons for the Canucks success. He really was spectacular all season long.
This is a very difficult decision but the Canucks need to be smart.
If they roll with demko, are they getting the guy with the incredible 3 game playoff stretch or are they getting the guy with a .905 save percentage throughout the season (near the bottom of the league)?
On this site, we all love prospects and potential but Vancouver has one of the best young cores in the league and one of the very best goalies (in markstrom). Should they take such a big risk or just sign markstrom?

To me, Vancouver's position is pretty easy to figure out.

Ideally, they'd love to run markstrom and demko for a few years longer, but the expansion draft means they need to decide on one or the other by next summer. A nmc would result in the decision being made right now.

Nobody rational thinks demko is better than markstrom now. But demko should be expected to improve on his rookie season, and showed incredible poise in his 3 games in their playoffs.

At some point over the next few seasons there a good chance demko becomes the better goalie. If the decision has to be made now, and the minimum term is 4 years, demko may be a better choice. If there minimum term is 5 or 6 years (all of which should be prime years for Hughes and pettersson), I think demko is clearly worth the gamble.

The fact that not signing markstrom goes a long way to resolving the teams' cap issues is an important factor as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad