Rumor: Markstrom Destination? - Calgary showing Significant Interest

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
Calgary makes alot of sense.

Strong team, lots of Swedes, Lindholm and Markstrom are very close and the flames have been chasing a long term solution since Kipper.

5 years 5.5-6 mil with a NTC is probably what it will take ( based on recent rumors with Lehner). I would be open to that 100%.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
I was wrong on the dates. Elder did in fact have a NMC but his contract expires prior to the expansion draft. So moot.

Myers doesn’t have protection. But it’s not as important compared to the goaltending position. You can protect 3 D. Only 1 Goalie. I stand by the statement that he won’t sign anywhere without expansion protection
But what if not one of the 31 teams offered him expansion protection then where would he play????

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Rumors are that Yzerman is high on Jacob Markstrom there was a rumor going around that he'd offer him at least a 5 year $30,000,000 deal probably far more then what Benning would give him he'd be foolish to at least not test free agency.

and he's also earned that right to test free agency. Go for it, Mr.Markstrom. It's his chance at a big pay out. We will respect that, even as Canuck fan, we understand that.

This is an excellent opportunity for the Nucks to hoodwink another team. Does Benning have it in him?

takes 2 to tangle. The GM aware that they can take a shot at him as a UFA. The risk behind that is that, that gm is not the only GM making an offer for him, so he has to compete and might very well be in a bidding war.

IF the GM wants, Benning can trade away his negotiating rights to the highest bidder, so that team, that wants him can have exclusive rights to talk something over, of course Markstrom can also might want to try UFA route and see if he can get more money. Lets face it, he might not get huge money, but he is the best goalie available and literally just played his best hockey, so that GM might be pissing away assets for nothing.... lots of risk involved.

Lindholm and Markstrom are very close

how are they close? either way I doubt that will be a determining factor if he does sign with Calgary or not, it comes down to who will offer him the best contract.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
and he's also earned that right to test free agency. Go for it, Mr.Markstrom. It's his chance at a big pay out. We will respect that, even as Canuck fan, we understand that.

takes 2 to tangle. The GM aware that they can take a shot at him as a UFA. The risk behind that is that, that gm is not the only GM making an offer for him, so he has to compete and might very well be in a bidding war.

IF the GM wants, Benning can trade away his negotiating rights to the highest bidder, so that team, that wants him can have exclusive rights to talk something over, of course Markstrom can also might want to try UFA route and see if he can get more money. Lets face it, he might not get huge money, but he is the best goalie available and literally just played his best hockey, so that GM might be pissing away assets for nothing.... lots of risk involved.

how are they close? either way I doubt that will be a determining factor if he does sign with Calgary or not, it comes down to who will offer him the best contract.

I mean to some degree but if a competitive team like Calgary offers him slightly less than a team like Detroit I think he bites at the Calgary offer IMO.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
At this point the Canucks are better off going with a capable 1B to pair with Demko and using the cap savings towards re-signing Toffoli and possibly Tanev, although I feel they’re hesitant to give Tanev the contract he’s probably seeking.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
it will forsure be a 7 year(8 year from Nucks)... he will make sure he cashes in massively on this next deal cause it will be his last contract. Someone will give him atleast a 7x7 deal...and most likely even more money.

At the end of the day I really wouldn't be surprised if he ends up signing a 7 year, 7 to 8 million per year cap deal

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012

Lindholm goes fishing with Markstrom alot, and a often posts stuff on Instagram with Markstrom.

Pretty sure they are close friends.

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
I think Vancouver is doing the right thing by playing hardball with Markstrom, he has been great but if they cave and give him the original asking price of ~7m it will soon become a bad deal. They really should stick to ~5.5 with him, if he wants more he can walk honestly, it's not like either parts in the deal will be worse off since Vancouver can go Demko and whats-his-face and Markstrom can get the money he deserve. This is probably his first and final contract as a 1a goalie.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Toronto is interested in everyone! Lol
On a serious note... the Leafs could have built a fantastic team this offseason if the cap didn’t go flat.

They still can if they do it right, unlike a lot of teams they don't have an intermal cap.

They have the money they always did, almost everybody else has less

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
The problem with the Canucks is the timing. Markstrom is 30 years old and is naturally going to want a long term contract but the Canucks have a 24 year old in Demko that is coming off one of the best postseason performances in the modern era and is showing that he could be ready for a starting role now. The Canucks would love to keep both around for the short term but it’s clear they view Demko as the long term solution, and they should as he could conceivably be better than Markstrom has ever been.

In a perfect world Markstrom would be signed for another two years to help transition Demko. But there are plenty of good goalies that are available that the Canucks could acquire to fill that role.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
I could see Calgary being a good fit for Marky but if I’m Benning,I’d be trying to trade his rights to an Eastern Conference team so we don’t have to face him multiple times a year then possibly in the playoffs as well.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
They still can if they do it right, unlike a lot of teams they don't have an intermal cap.

They have the money they always did, almost everybody else has less

Half the teams will spend less and half the teams will spend right to the cap. Leafs are in great position that Pietrangelo wants to come home and players like Thornton and Simmonds will take minimum league contacts. Allows them the opportunity to flip Nylander, Johnsson and Anderson. I don’t think it’s too hard to do it right with that situation. Dufas will get credit but he is being handed a great team on a silver platter.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I'd be happy with the Canes paying him $7.5 million x 3 years or $7 million x 4 years with a NMC. It's the long term that would be a deal breaker.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I could see Calgary being a good fit for Marky but if I’m Benning,I’d be trying to trade his rights to an Eastern Conference team so we don’t have to face him multiple times a year then possibly in the playoffs as well.
Trading Marky’s rights doesn’t keep him from still going to October 9th and signing with the highest bidder, which could be Calgary, Edmonton (or even worse) or Colorado.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
The problem with the Canucks is the timing. Markstrom is 30 years old and is naturally going to want a long term contract but the Canucks have a 24 year old in Demko that is coming off one of the best postseason performances in the modern era and is showing that he could be ready for a starting role now. The Canucks would love to keep both around for the short term but it’s clear they view Demko as the long term solution, and they should as he could conceivably be better than Markstrom has ever been.

In a perfect world Markstrom would be signed for another two years to help transition Demko. But there are plenty of good goalies that are available that the Canucks could acquire to fill that role.
Demko was extremely average during the regular season and struggled when Markstrom was hurt. I’d be a little apprehensive about naming him the starter based on 3 great games.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Half the teams will spend less and half the teams will spend right to the cap. Leafs are in great position that Pietrangelo wants to come home and players like Thornton and Simmonds will take minimum league contacts. Allows them the opportunity to flip Nylander, Johnsson and Anderson. I don’t think it’s too hard to do it right with that situation. Dufas will get credit but he is being handed a great team on a silver platter.

I don't think he flips Nylander and Andersen this year, maybe Freddy but Campbell can't be the #1 guy.

I think It would be more likely Johnsson, Kerfoot, Engvall and possibly Holl go Dubas takes 1 BIG shot at a championship

Reactions: Team Cozens

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad