Rumor: Markstrom Destination? - Calgary showing Significant Interest

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Demko was extremely average during the regular season and struggled when Markstrom was hurt. I’d be a little apprehensive about naming him the starter based on 3 great games.

If the alternative is to sign a 30 year old goalie with extensive injury problems throughout his career to an expensive long term contract, I'd take the risk. Demko has always been a high pedigree player and has performed well in every league he's been in. Yes he struggled at time this season but he also showed flashes of brilliance, just like most young goalies. Eventually you either have to give them a chance, or let them go and unfortunately for the Canucks the timing of Markstrom's contract expiry and upcoming expansion draft might force their hands.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Trading Marky’s rights doesn’t keep him from still going to October 9th and signing with the highest bidder, which could be Calgary, Edmonton (or even worse) or Colorado.

I know that.Trading his rights to an out of conference team gives them the chance to pitch Marky on the city and the team and try to get something done.Sometimes it works,sometimes it doesn’t but if I’m a GM of an Eastern Conference team that needs a 1G,I’d consider trading a later round pick for a chance to sign the top UFA goalie out there and avoid getting involved in a bidding war.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Trading Marky’s rights doesn’t keep him from still going to October 9th and signing with the highest bidder, which could be Calgary, Edmonton (or even worse) or Colorado.
Honestly none of those teams would be the highest bidder on Jacob Marksom. I could easily see Yzerman offer him 6 x $7,000,000 rather easily hearing that he's the number 1 target should he reach free agency which he would be crazy not to. Colorado doesn't need him with Grubs and Franc Edmonton would need to move out Koskinen and no sane GM is taking on that contract. Definitely could see Calgary and Detroit coming on hard for Markstrom.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I love Marky and appreciate how hard he’s worked for us but I hope we don’t re-sign him. Hope he gets a big payday from someone else!

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Honestly none of those teams would be the highest bidder on Jacob Marksom. I could easily see Yzerman offer him 6 x $7,000,000 rather easily hearing that he's the number 1 target should he reach free agency which he would be crazy not to. Colorado doesn't need him with Grubs and Franc Edmonton would need to move out Koskinen and no sane GM is taking on that contract. Definitely could see Calgary and Detroit coming on hard for Markstrom.

I'll laugh at whatever GM signs Markstrom to a contract like that.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Markstrom scares me as a Flames fan. Not sure he is someone you want to get in a bidding war over.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
The problem with the Canucks is the timing. Markstrom is 30 years old and is naturally going to want a long term contract but the Canucks have a 24 year old in Demko that is coming off one of the best postseason performances in the modern era and is showing that he could be ready for a starting role now. The Canucks would love to keep both around for the short term but it’s clear they view Demko as the long term solution, and they should as he could conceivably be better than Markstrom has ever been.

In a perfect world Markstrom would be signed for another two years to help transition Demko. But there are plenty of good goalies that are available that the Canucks could acquire to fill that role.
I agree that demko was incredibly spectacular for that 3 game stretch but was, otherwise, below average throughout the season.
Markstrom Has a proven track record and was one of the biggest reasons for the Canucks success. He really was spectacular all season long.
This is a very difficult decision but the Canucks need to be smart.
If they roll with demko, are they getting the guy with the incredible 3 game playoff stretch or are they getting the guy with a .905 save percentage throughout the season (near the bottom of the league)?
On this site, we all love prospects and potential but Vancouver has one of the best young cores in the league and one of the very best goalies (in markstrom). Should they take such a big risk or just sign markstrom?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Best case scenario is that Van signs him without expansion draft protection. Then runs with a Markstrom/Demko duo for the year and trades one of them before the expansion draft. If Demko shows he’s a starter then Markstrom gets traded for a big return. DiPietro is in the pipeline and eventually backs up the goalie they keep.
Think that’s the way it will play out.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
It’ll suck to lose Marky, but I’ll be happy for him though. He’s gonna get PAID, he’s earned it.

He turned around his career in the AHL, which was on the verge of busting, to become one of the best in the league the last couple seasons. Carried the Canucks all year.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I wonder how many GMs are kicking themselves now that they didn’t pick Markstrom up for free when he was put on waivers by the Canucks a few years ago.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Heck i'd do that without Baertschi attached. I'd give up a 5th to be able to sign Markstrom first not like a 5th is going to be a major player anyways.

Canucks trying to move salary tho, I would drop the condition and just get a 5-7th rounder back if a team was willing to take Sven or Sutter back along with JM rights

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
I don't think he flips Nylander and Andersen this year, maybe Freddy but Campbell can't be the #1 guy.

I think It would be more likely Johnsson, Kerfoot, Engvall and possibly Holl go Dubas takes 1 BIG shot at a championship
I think the Leafs target Markstrom or Kuemper and flip Andersen. Makes too much sense. Your probably right about Kerfoot. Just hope the Sabres make and face the Leafs in the playoffs next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad