Mark Stone

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
I would pay to watch Gaudreau alone

Stone doesnt excite me

If you want to talk about clutch, Gaudreau clinched the playoff spot first.

And nobody honestly believed the Flames would make the playoff

I think that's because he upsets you :laugh:

Gaudreau is awesome, but none of these are arguments for why a guy should get the Calder. They are extremely close because they have produced essentially the same amount, neither guy is even close to a liability, and both ended the season playing arguably their best hockey of the season (not 100% sure on Gaudreau, but definitely this was the case for Stone).

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
This is why awards are pointless. All you get is my player is better than your player arguments just because of some shiny hardware that does not really mean anything at all.

Both players have been great this season and that is ALL that matters. A shiny award will not change anything in regards to how both players play.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Honestly this whole "consistency" thing is complete BS. I'm pretty sure they have the exact same stats Pre- and Post- All-Star game, just flipped. Like, 26 + 38 for stone and 38 + 26 for Gaudreau...

As for the argument that Stone and Gaudreau are close as two-way players, it's just not true... That's not a knock on Gaudreau, he is really good on both sides of the puck, but just not as good as Stone... not as good in the defensive zone, and nowhere near as good at stripping the puck. Just like Gaudreau can stickhandle like not many guys in the league, Stone is defensively elite, truly an elite player in all three zones.

It's true, but people still see JG as more consistent, even if he hasn't been.

And I agree that Stone is great away from the puck, much better actually, but Gaudreau is still decent. Stone is just on another level defensively though.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
People from the US will vote for Gaudreau.

Take that to the bank, guaranty. This aint even close

and fact is Gaudreau deserves it. He transforms the Flames into an exciting team.

strongbad

Apr 22, 2007
People from the US will vote for Gaudreau.

Take that to the bank, guaranty. This aint even close

and fact is Gaudreau deserves it. He transforms the Flames into an exciting team.

What about Stone and how his game helped the Sens surmount the greatest NHL point deficit to make the playoffs. That run was one of the most exciting in hockey at this time.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
With absolute all due respect to Gaudreau who I think is a brilliant young player and I've been hyping to win Calder from day 1....

I think Stone wins it now.

49 points in last 48 games.

7 goals in last 6 games.

Leads league in takeaways

2 years younger

Tied Gaudreau in points but more goals

Plays all-around situations and excellent defensively.

I don't know how he doesn't win Calder especially since most of his points have come in the absolute clutch.

3 GWGs in a row recently too.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
With absolute all due respect to Gaudreau who I think is a brilliant young player and I've been hyping to win Calder from day 1....

7 goals in last 6 games.

2 years younger

I don't know how he doesn't win Calder especially since most of his points have come in the absolute clutch.

stone is a year older then Gaudreau

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012

7 goals in last 6 games.

2 years younger

Doesn't matter.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Season is over for Stone.

Gaudreau has his shot now to take the lead.

We're both in the playoffs.

It's out of our hands.

Enjoy the ride.

He's apparently sitting out tonight.

Regardless, these are two awesome rookies. Maybe it's fitting they end tied in points.

DropIt

Oct 21, 2009
Red Deer, AB
Gaudreau should win the Calder, just because he has the ability to instill hatred among Sens fans. The guy has played outstanding hockey and led his team to the playoffs but him and his "stupid nickname" are being hated on for really, no reason at all.

He should just replace his name bar with " H8trs Gna H8"

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Another guy showing the league that drive and scoring instinct are underated for forwards in this league. How he fell to the 6th round is bizarre, oh yeah...he can't skate well. He scored like crazy in junior had size but was almost ignored in the draft.

Play defense? Yeah you have to be a decent skater in the big leagues, for a forward? As long as you can get from zone to zone.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Gaudreau should win the Calder, just because he has the ability to instill hatred among Sens fans. The guy has played outstanding hockey and led his team to the playoffs but him and his "stupid nickname" are being hated on for really, no reason at all.

I don't see many people hating on Gaudreau.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

It's a 'mine is bigger than yours' thing right now, but I doubt you'll read too many Sens fans that wouldn't love gaudreau on their team.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
Gaudreau has been great for longer, a Calgary team that was considered to be more of a bottom feeder ends up being a really good team and he has been a huge part of that.

At this point Stone is in the conversation, which is saying alot though. It has been a dynamite year for rookies. It will be just as bad if Ekblad doesn't crack the top 3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad