Mark Stone

avsfan89

Sep 25, 2011
Haven't watched too many sens games but noticed he has 50 pts in 69 games and is a +15.

Has he really been that good so far? Also what do you think is his ceiling points wise?

I guess a better way of putting it is:

was he expected to develop this way or has this come as a pleasant surprise?

Last edited:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
He's been essentially our best forward all-in-all and that includes a Bobby Ryan who has carried his line too.

He's top 3 in takeaways and has been PPG since all-star break. He also plays excellent defensive hockey and PK.

He can be 60-70 point 2 way machine. Conservative is 55-65. I believe a thread was made bout him couple weeks prior.

Definitely isn't getting enough love.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Haven't watched too many sens games but noticed he has 50 pts in 69 games and is a +15.

Has he really been that good so far? Also what do you think is his ceiling points wise?

1) Yes. Probably better than the stats indicate because he's incredible defensively as well.

2) I think he'll sit in the 50-65 point range for the bulk of his career, not sure his upside is that much higher than he's played at this year. I know some Sens fans think he could hit 70, I'm not sure I agree, but he's already surpassed my expectations.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
He has really been that good.

Also one of the best takeaway artists in the league this year.

I think a reasonable estimate for him topping out is around 70 points offensively, but his instrumental two way play makes him the kind of player Championship teams heavily rely on.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

I guess a better way of putting it is:

was he expected to develop this way or has this come as a pleasant surprise?

He is one of the most dominating possession players ive ever seen. He was expected to be boom or bust i guess. He has tons of talent and physical ability but his skating was according to him "the worst on every team i played on till the AHL." He worked very hard to make it better.

I'm not sure if hes a go to guy himself but he makes everyone around him much better. He always knows where to be. He never forces plays and always makes a correct play. He dominates along the boards. He steals the puck and makes players look silly all the time. I dont know what it his but hes incredibly hard to pass through. You see players keep there stick out trying to knock down passes all the time and it never works. It works quite often with stone.

Saying all this hes strikes me as a very very good complimentary players. He'll give every player on his line the space and time needed to win the game but he wont win a game by himself.

Sens fans are discussing if he'll get a bobby ryan type contract soon enough. Most say no i think lol but the fact that people think hes that valuable is very telling.

As you can see i'm a big fan so maybe im over selling him. Hoffman is the more of a surprise then stone

Last edited:

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
He's a Datsyukian pickpocket artist blessed with Spezza-calibre playmaking ability.

The knocks on him are that he rarely shoots, and of course that he can't beat a defender flush on a net drive.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
If it wasn't for Forsberg, Ekblad or Gaudreau, i honestly think he would deserve a calder nomination.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Saw your edit and figured I'd toss up another answer. I think most people knew he had NHL upside, but his skating was always a massive question mark. I was one of the people who said it would hold him back, so to me he's been a pleasant surprise. I think even the most optimistic fan wouldn't have expected this kind of production in his rookie season, but the tools (minus the skating, which he's improved a ton) have always been there.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
You can describe Stone's game with one attribute: Elite hockey IQ

Yeah, that's obviously a huge part of it. The guy thinks the game at such a high level, he's definitely top-three on the Sens as far as Hockey IQ.

kiable

Dec 15, 2014
If it wasn't for Forsberg, Ekblad or Gaudreau, i honestly think he would deserve a calder nomination.

That's one thing I can't wrap my head around. As he's right with Forsberg and Gaudreau offensively yet head and shoulders above them in the two way game and still they are way ahead of stone in everyone's eyes.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
That's one thing I can't wrap my head around. As he's right with Forsberg and Gaudreau offensively yet head and shoulders above them in the two way game and still they are way ahead of stone in everyone's eyes.

Yea, he doesn't have the name recognition of the others, but he deserves to be in the conversation. Good year for rookies though.

member 248215

Stone is a hockey genius. The way he reads plays, especially as a rookie, is simply incredible. He's been a point per game player over the last 16 games alongside Turris and Karlsson. Definitely helping lead the Senators to a playoff spot. I think he will continue to improve.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
That hockey IQ is amazing. The kid is big and strong, too.

And as was mentioned earlier in the thread, he is top 3 in the entire NHL in takeaways. Seems every game you notice him strip the puck off other players at least half a dozen times.

Very smart with the puck. He knows when to dish it off, when to hold onto it, which plays to make at the crucial time. Very poised.

He has improved his skating by leaps and bounds, so now it's "NHL average". If he's ever able to add an extra step or slightly faster acceleration....wow, he'd be a star.

Best thing about him, is it isn't all about the points. Those takeaways and ability to break up opposition plays and regain possession are huge.

bornNraised Sens

Apr 8, 2014
And as was mentioned earlier in the thread, he is top 3 in the entire NHL in takeaways. Seems every game you notice him strip the puck off other players at least half a dozen times.

for my the part thats most impressive about his takeaway's is that they are against everyone, from the top of the other team down to their 4th liners. He takes it off everyone and does it everywhere on the ice, on the boards in neutral zone and in offensive and defensive zone.

Was a while ago but i think the first home game against Colorado steals the puck from Iginla at the Avs blue line then dishes for a goal to Macarthur. Beautiful sequence that is almost the norm for the guy.

GreatStateofHockey

Oct 2, 2011
for my the part thats most impressive about his takeaway's is that they are against everyone, from the top of the other team down to their 4th liners. He takes it off everyone and does it everywhere on the ice, on the boards in neutral zone and in offensive and defensive zone.

Was a while ago but i think the first home game against Colorado steals the puck from Iginla at the Avs blue line then dishes for a goal to Macarthur. Beautiful sequence that is almost the norm for the guy.

It's great, I guess he uses an abnormally large stick.

ZeroPT*

Stone is better than Hoffman and I've held that opinion for the bulk of the season.

He's been unreal since the ASG.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad