Mark Stone signs for $7.35 for 1 year

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
This is a fantastic analogy, thank you for sharing it and your opinions on this forum.
It also presents the Senators with an interesting window to move on from Stone, if needed. A team on the verge of a deep playoff push will give assets for this, even a first rounder perhaps if Stone could agree (in principle) to sign with them down the road.
It would be disheartening as a fan, but c'est la vie...

I don't ever underestimate Mark Stone, his lack speed has been part of his MO since junior, but at every level he's managed to find a away to adjust his game, and remain among the better players on his team ..... and he will now need to play "smarter" if he finds the game a little faster than last year.

Last edited:

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
That's more like it. Mark Stone playing the part of Mark Stone again!

Still trying to force pucks in the middle but he had a great game and showed why he is a building block for this team.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
He is clearly the unnamed Captain of this team, and perhaps as soon as January we may see the "C" sewn on his sweater.

Reactions: NyQuil

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I see the money issue as the cause for the direction problems and I hope it gets solved....the money that is

look at EK. many here were crying that we'd make him a low ball offer. that we'd insult him. that didn't happen. the hold up seems to be bonus money. so that's a positive imo.

same with stone. he signed. no arbitration so no bitter feelings. he's expressed what I think is a sincere interest in being part of the solution and called out guys last season for not playing properly (imo some of that was directed at hoffman). that's leadership. so while not ideal his wanting to be here and getting a 1 year deal to still be here is at this point a positive.

same with Duchene. look at that media situation last week. if he didn't care he wouldn't have approached that fan.

we need that equity injection and fingers crossed we get it.

it's not ideal but you can't get blood from a stone and Melnyk imo needs the injection.

hopefully it all works out. with those 3 signed I think we'll be in good shape
An equity injection wont solve the problem. Melnyk needs to be gone and upper management needs to be replaced before there is a culture change.

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
He is clearly the unnamed Captain of this team, and perhaps as soon as January we may see the "C" sewn on his sweater.

I don't think they are going to put the C on a player they know they cannot/will not afford after this year. It's the same reason Mark Stone did not "interview" Eugene Melnyk at the beginning of the season.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I don't think they are going to put the C on a player they know they cannot/will not afford after this year. It's the same reason Mark Stone did not "interview" Eugene Melnyk at the beginning of the season.

I thought you'd pick up on "January" ... as that is the earliest he can sign an extension with Ottawa.

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
As I posted in the other Stone/Duchene thread...

On Stone,

Unfortunately for Stone the above does not apply as much. (Referenced post on Duchene not finding better combo of position/cash/winning than ottawa) He can fit onto the top line of multiple cup contenders and unlike Duchene, Stone upgrades the team at the position in most cases.

So the only thing he is giving up is potentially salary, however some teams could potentially offer him close to total salary on a 7 year deal as the sens offer on an 8 year deal, and this is a much longer list of teams.

So really the only thing that is keeping Stone here is friendships (if any are left) and the potential to be captain/leader. Unfortunately I don't see this as being enough because Stone will be a leader on any team he goes to, and I would not be surprised if he becomes a captain on his new team in 2-3 years. Plus, what is the attraction of being captain of a losing team:(

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Oh, I'm well aware.

I'm expressing my lack of confidence in that actually occurring.

Players don't sign a one-year contract when they have the opportunity to extend.

He still has the opportunity to extend, in January.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
What would his market value be if he reaches UFA? 9? 10?

I think between 8-9, however teams seem to frontload things now and of course there is the ever present bonus structure that this ownership seems reluctant to provide.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Right, and also the opportunity to injure himself this year.

Why risk it?

Because he doesn't want to stay.

Is he not risking the chance of injury already?

He signed for one year, and wants to increase his market value, and raised his baseline salary, and that's where the negotiations will begin on an extension (with the Sens) or as an UFA this summer.

If he really did not want to stay, he would be doing what Nylander is doing.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think between 8-9, however teams seem to frontload things now and of course there is the ever present bonus structure that this ownership seems reluctant to provide.

Stone will be on the radar of any competitive team. You move salary for a guy like that.

Reactions: topshelf15

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

He had a chance to make a giant heap of money and decided it was better to risk it by waiting.

He signed for one year, and wants to increase his market value, and raised his baseline salary, and that's where the negotiations will begin on an extension (with the Sens) or as an UFA this summer.

His market value is going to be exactly where it was at the end of last season. I think everyone knows what he can bring.

There's no new information being brought to the table this season.

There was no ambiguity regarding his skillset and his ability to be productive.

He gets paid this year and he gets the freedom to choose his destination.

If Ottawa couldn't offer enough to sign him last year, why on Earth would he sign with them this year when there will be many more suitors who don't have to give up any assets?

If Nylander had the opportunity to sign for a single year and be a UFA afterwards I'm sure he'd take it too.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

Not really. Stone's performance this season won't have that much of an impact on his market value, barring something incredible like him leading this team to the brink of the finals with an MVP performance. Outside of that, his worth on a long-term deal has already been established (likely somewhere between 8-9 million), and it won't change heading into this summer.

Stone, most likely, didn't take a one year deal to increase his market value. He took a one year deal to see how things shake out in Ottawa this season (with prospects, management, ownership) before deciding whether he wants to commit longterm.

Nylander is very different. He considers himself a top line player and wants to be paid like one, whereas Toronto considers him a "potential" top line player and wants him to take less so they can maintain cap flexibility.

In Ottawa, my guess is that Dorion and Stone agree on what he should be paid. The question is whether Stone wants to be here for 8 more seasons.

Reactions: pzeeman and NyQuil

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
His market value is going to be exactly where it was at the end of last season. I think everyone knows what he can bring.

There's no new information being brought to the table this season.

Last Season his AAV was 3.5 M, and that's where negotiations began.

His AAV is now 7.35, and that's where negotiations will begin, if they have not already.

He can choose to sign an acceptable 8 year extension in January, and the Risk of injury, and lowered bargaining power is gone.

If he waits until July, he risks injury, and the lowering of his bargaining power for the remainder of the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad