Mark Stone signs for $7.35 for 1 year

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
I also don't understand how management is going to rationalize signing Stone and/or Duchene at market value when they said they traded Karlsson because rebuild.

And I agree, either sign both or trade both. There are already enough holes on this roster.

Reactions: topshelf15

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I also don't understand how management is going to rationalize signing Stone and/or Duchene at market value when they said they traded Karlsson because rebuild.

And I agree, either sign both or trade both. There are already enough holes on this roster.

well should they sign the two of them it's pretty simple really....here are two players that we were comfortable moving forward with and they were comfortable moving forward with us

the other fella...there wasn't comfort on either side

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I would be shock if both are re-signed, Stone has to be re-signed, i like everything about him, Duchene i can accept not keeping, even tho we paid a very stiff price for him but Stone has to be the priority. hi is our next captain.
Its kinda gotta be all or nothing you re sign both of them or you go scorched earth and trade them both. This is either a 2 year rebuild/retool or its a 5 year overhaul. Cant half ass it either way.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
well should they sign the two of them it's pretty simple really....here are two players that we were comfortable moving forward with and they were comfortable moving forward with us

the other fella...there wasn't comfort on either side

I think Management already tried to frame the Karlsson scenario as he had no interest in staying around while they wanted to keep him. You might be right that the truth was more that neither party was sold, but my guess is the team sticks to the "he didn't want to stay" narrative and continues to completely absolve itself of any responsibility for the parting of ways.

Anyways, that's neither here nor there, Stone re-signing will be the key to whether we go scorched earth or try for a quick rebuild. If we do trade him, and likely Duchene as well as I can't much logic to keeping just one unless we trade quality for quality in moving him, it will be interesting to see how we reach the cap floor.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think Management already tried to frame the Karlsson scenario as he had no interest in staying around while they wanted to keep him. You might be right that the truth was more that neither party was sold, but my guess is the team sticks to the "he didn't want to stay" narrative and continues to completely absolve itself of any responsibility for the parting of ways.

Anyways, that's neither here nor there, Stone re-signing will be the key to whether we go scorched earth or try for a quick rebuild. If we do trade him, and likely Duchene as well as I can't much logic to keeping just one unless we trade quality for quality in moving him, it will be interesting to see how we reach the cap floor.

for sure mgmt tried to frame the EK situation that way. But EK tried to frame it the other way. What seems to be out there is an 8/88 offer and no response to that offer. And EK has had several opportunities to dispute either or both of those things. He hasn't.

Setting aside the situation, if an offer recipient receives an offer and chooses to not respond at all / not engage, it's difficult to interpret that as anything other than the recipient had no interest whatsoever in the offer.

What EK did do was frame it after the fact that they would have just traded him anyway which is just his projection and certainly if it wasn't an outcome he desired he easily could have initiated a discussion to see if he could get some protection against that. he never initiated that discussion

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
for sure mgmt tried to frame the EK situation that way. But EK tried to frame it the other way. What seems to be out there is an 8/88 offer and no response to that offer. And EK has had several opportunities to dispute either or both of those things. He hasn't.

Setting aside the situation, if an offer recipient receives an offer and chooses to not respond at all / not engage, it's difficult to interpret that as anything other than the recipient had no interest whatsoever in the offer.

What EK did do was frame it after the fact that they would have just traded him anyway which is just his projection and certainly if it wasn't an outcome he desired he easily could have initiated a discussion to
see if he could get some protection against that. he never initiated that discussion

I really don't want to derail this thread, so I'll just leave it at agree to disagree on the EK scenario. But having said that, the point I was trying to make is the team made it's claim as to how things went down. They can't just flip the script now and say they never were comfortable with signing him as you initially suggested. Well, I guess they could, but it would just be one more reason for fans to mistrust management

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Are we going to try the Leaf route of taking bad contracts for picks?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
So the Arizona trade for picks to take bad contracts, not the leafs trade for picks to take bad contracts.

Well, it's cheaper in the long-run to take on a few short-term contracts to meet the floor than it is to add two massive long-term contracts.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I really don't want to derail this thread, so I'll just leave it at agree to disagree on the EK scenario. But having said that, the point I was trying to make is the team made it's claim as to how things went down. They can't just flip the script now and say they never were comfortable with signing him as you initially suggested. Well, I guess they could, but it would just be one more reason for fans to mistrust management

shouldn't the lack of trust go both ways? isn't that fair?

getting to yes is easier to do when both sides want that particular outcome

I know there is a lot of well earned eugene hate but this particular situation isn't all on the team

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Stone, if he resigns, is automatically the captain. He deserves it. He's, on majority of the nights, bringing it and I love it when he scores.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
shouldn't the lack of trust go both ways? isn't that fair?

getting to yes is easier to do when both sides want that particular outcome

I know there is a lot of well earned eugene hate but this particular situation isn't all on the team
Sorry, but yes it is 100% on Melnyk.

Our generational player asked to be paid market value.
Market value for players of his caliber include bonus money and full NMC.

The Sens chose to make a fake “July 1st offer” that they KNEW would be rejected.

We’ll never know if EK wouldn’t have signed here if the Sens had negotiated in good faith because THEY NEVER DID!

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Sorry, but yes it is 100% on Melnyk.

Our generational player asked to be paid market value.
Market value for players of his caliber include bonus money and full NMC.

The Sens chose to make a fake “July 1st offer” that they KNEW would be rejected.

We’ll never know if EK wouldn’t have signed here if the Sens had negotiated in good faith because THEY NEVER DID!

So you have the entire timeline and offer in detail? Would be the only reason you could speak so definitively about this.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
So you have the entire timeline and offer in detail? Would be the only reason you could speak so definitively about this.

The timeline is clear.

The Sens twisted themselves into knots trying with their lies trying to sell/retain some season tickets. Anyone paying attention knows what happened.

Last edited:

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

To be fair, you don't need the entire timeline to know the Sens management weren't dealing in good faith. There was no (full) NTC in the deal, that alone is reason enough to put a good chunk of the blame on the front office.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad